Portable amp for travel
Apr 8, 2013 at 5:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

liquidzoo

1000+ Head-Fier
Greetings

I am looking for a portable amp that will be used primarily for travel, but also could be used at other times.

I'd like to stay sub-$200, sub $150 would be ideal.

I do have a few questions:

I have a FiiO E6 currently.  Is there a big (or any, really) difference between the amp in it and the amp in the FiiO E07K?  What about the E11 or E12?

Amps I've been considering:

E07K
E11
E12 (depending on price)
iBasso D-Zero (as long as I could get it in time for my trip in May)

I'm open to other suggestions.  Needs to be portable (as in use away from a fixed power source, not transportable).  A built in DAC would be a plus, but isn't necessary, I probably wouldn't use the DAC except for out of my laptop when traveling.  These will be used to power my DT770 (80 Ohm), at least initially.  Other cans will follow.

Source would be either an old iPhone 3GS or my Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket.

Apr 8, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #3 of 21
I had read that, but thank you. I couldn't find it on a quick look at the forum page (though I probably didn't look hard enough).

Edit:

Reading through both that and the 100 amp comparison, it seems like those are geared more to an IEM user rather than full size headphones (at the very least, they're both written from an IEM perspective). I'm curious for opinions on what I listed for full size cans.

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #5 of 21
Your DT770-80 isn't that difficult a full-size to drive, so most of what have been mentioned in those thread should drive it without any issue.

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #6 of 21
Your DT770-80 isn't that difficult a full-size to drive, so most of what have been mentioned in those thread should drive it without any issue.

I know it isn't, but I'm also looking toward the future where I may have something that's slightly more difficult (nothing too outrageous until the kids grow up, though).

The things like hiss ratings, though, may end up far more noticeable with iems than it would be with a lot of full size cans, which is why I am asking.

Apr 9, 2013 at 6:59 AM Post #7 of 21
The JDS C421 was a massive step up from any of my FiiO amps. Clarity was far superior and the slight IEM hiss was way way less. But you can see all of that in the thread posted above. Either way +recommendation for it. I've heard E07, E11 and the Ibasso one.

Apr 9, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #10 of 21
I have JDS Labs C5 for portable use and it's awesome. I have the iBasso D-Zero as a DAC to use from my laptop. The DAC in the D-Zero is superb. The JDS C5 however is better as a portable amp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 9, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #12 of 21
Another vote for used Headstage Arrow..Fiio E12 sounded good, but too forward and made everything sound slightly congested..

Apr 9, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #13 of 21
Apr 9, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #14 of 21
I am too, I know tube like means smoother, wamer..imho bring back the 12db bass boost lol...I know the 4G was a better amp technically, but I really do like the 3G best.  However the 4T has my interest the only thing holding me back is I wonder what the true wait times are, I'd be pissed if I got it 4 months later...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back