Portable amp for HD 650
Jul 14, 2012 at 7:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Dionysus

1000+ Head-Fier
Well I re purchased the HD 650 I sold a few months back really missed the sound. I have only used them with my Essence Stx sound card and have enjoyed the combo.

But I would like to use them away from my computer so I am hoping to hear some advice on a more portable solution, amp. I read a little about tube amp but I don't think I want to deal with the requirements of tubes, or tube rolling. So what do guys recommend In 300 dollar or less solution that can give me a similiar good sound experience like the STX, Thx in advance.

Jul 14, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #2 of 4
The National is a pretty good amp in that price range, as it the C421 and TTVJ Slim. Do you have any preferences in terms of sound? As in, is the HD650 a little to dark for you?

If you're just going to be moving around the house, the O2 is a very good transportable amp.

Jul 14, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #3 of 4
I would never say dark I think that's a common misconception but one I hear quit a bit around here. What I would like is something that can give me a similar sound sig as the STX. I don't mind something a little more robust but like I mentioned earlier I don't know if I want to go through the time it would take to get the sound right by trying to find the perfect tube. Etc..

Jul 14, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #4 of 4
The Audiotrak ImAmp would be a nice portable solution for the HD650. + you can use your essence as a dac>imamp and you have a nice desktop rig. . 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back