Portable amp for Astell & Kern Ak120ii
Feb 1, 2015 at 1:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Tattedfitguy

New Head-Fier
Hey guys can you help me in suggesting a portable amp for my Astell & Kern Ak120ii.   I'll be pairing with with BW P7's, Shure 846's and Sennheiser Wireless momentum's. 

Thanks

Feb 3, 2015 at 3:11 AM Post #5 of 18
Have the RSA71b and an ALO International.They are both balanced and give a really good sound.
As I have the RWAK120 I need an amp but I also have an unmodded AK120 which also benefits from an amp esp. when you have headphones like LCD2 etc.

Feb 3, 2015 at 3:30 AM Post #6 of 18
I got it from an ad on this site.
They are offered occasionally. Much cheaper than new and Ray Samuels gives lifetime warranty.
I think that is important as well. I've had several bad experiences with rather expensive audio gear, breaking down.

The P7 is a good headphone. I've had one of those for a while.

Feb 4, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #8 of 18
Moon Audio can make you a cable if you want to go balanced.
You need 2.5mm TRRS to RSA/AOL

That's another question I have. Headphone out vs balanced. Pros vs Cons, What I mean is The balanced method has a few advantages over the unbalanced method. The first advantage is that the hot signal and the cold signal will remove the external noises received. The second advantage is increased output due to the 2 transmitted signals.

Does this equate to louder sound or better highs, mids, lows etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 5, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #9 of 18
Hi,

You'll have a few advantages in balanced mode. You have mentioned a few and I also find that you'll have a better soundstage and better overall sound.

The con's are the cables you need and if your headphone is not balanced ready, you'll have to rewire it. After that, you can't use it in unbalanced mode, or you have to install connectors like Audeze.
If you use it with one rig only, or only with balanced amps, I'd say go for it.

Hubert

Feb 7, 2015 at 4:42 AM Post #10 of 18
  Hey guys can you help me in suggesting a portable amp for my Astell & Kern Ak120ii.   I'll be pairing with with BW P7's, Shure 846's and Sennheiser Wireless momentum's. 

Thanks

For P7 and SE846 you don't need any amp, AK120 drives them more than fine and you wouldn't gain anything with extra amp; Can't comment on Momentum but they seem to be as easy to drive so no amp there most likely. Just save the money :)

Feb 7, 2015 at 5:31 AM Post #11 of 18
I have used the P7 with the AK120II and I agree it doesn't necessarily need an amp. Still, it would benefit from an amp in my opinion. The 120 has enough power to drive the P7 to loud enough levels, but quite often I found this combination couldn't handle certain lows and ended up distorting them.

Feb 7, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #12 of 18
Read this:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/632916/the-intruder-by-rsa-balanced-dac-amp-update-available-for-even-better-sound-just-pay-shipping

It will tell you all you need to know about the amp and on going balanced.

Feb 8, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #13 of 18
  I have used the P7 with the AK120II and I agree it doesn't necessarily need an amp. Still, it would benefit from an amp in my opinion. The 120 has enough power to drive the P7 to loud enough levels, but quite often I found this combination couldn't handle certain lows and ended up distorting them.

What about the AK240?

Feb 8, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #14 of 18

What about the AK240?

Exactly the same as 120 II, but you don't need amp for either if you use P7 and SE846, actually it's very much better NOT to get an amp, to avoid hiss on too low volumes with stronger amps, since you won't be cranking volume up on those low impedance sensitive iems/headphones.

Feb 8, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #15 of 18

@Tail  That's what I was thinking.  I'm going to order a a moon audio balanced cable for the SE846's.   Taking a different direction.  I am wanting to use my AK240 to power one or two floor 3-way speakers for a small 10x13 room.  I plan on using  a the 3.5mm optical out into a digital to analog converter that support 192/24.  Any suggestions on speakers or would I need an amp here.  I'm figuring I would to drive them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back