Portable AMP/DAC Usage patterns
Jan 1, 2010 at 1:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

grawk

Itinerant Miscreant
I am curious how people use their portable amps that have dacs. Do you still use them with your portable DAPs, or are they mostly for laptop use? I'd never really use one with an ipod, because I'd just use high efficiency headphones, but I'm wondering what other people do.

Jan 1, 2010 at 1:42 AM Post #2 of 8
I have an iRiver iHP-120 attached to my iBasso D10, but I predominantly use my iBasso D10 as a DAC/amplifier for the SPDIF-out on my laptop.

If I ever were to take this rig out portably (rarely ever), then I would utilize the optical output of the iRiver, replacing my laptop. Therefore I need a 5th option on the poll: Never, optical input only for me.
wink.gif

Jan 1, 2010 at 2:31 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterDLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have an iRiver iHP-120 attached to my iBasso D10, but I predominantly use my iBasso D10 as a DAC/amplifier for the SPDIF-out on my laptop.

If I ever were to take this rig out portably (rarely ever), then I would utilize the optical output of the iRiver, replacing my laptop. Therefore I need a 5th option on the poll: Never, optical input only for me.
wink.gif

x2, but I do occasionally use the D10 with my DIYMOD as amp only. in fact I take it another step, I dont always use the amp in it either, I mainly use it feeding another amp, so i'll be pleased when the dac only from fiquest comes out (or when I finished my own slow development of my own crazy portable DIY dac (not for resale). I would use its amp as dac/amp fed by my iriver 30% of the time too. I do use the rig portably almost exclusively, as well as sometimes down in my workshop. I have other sources I use here most of the time though.

Jan 2, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #5 of 8
I have a Creative Xmod (DAC) and a portable amp (Fiio e5) The DAC is used mainly for netflix on my home PC or laptop to help boost the poor streaming sound quality, and the e5 is used to control the line level output from my previously owned ipod, or Sony CD changer. Only on occasion do I use the Xmod for line input from an analogue source.

Jan 2, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #6 of 8
My iBasso D10 is only used with digital input fed optically from my Mac. If I am using analog input I will rather use my P-51 or LISA III.

Jan 2, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #7 of 8
Laptop only, and so rarely since getting the 160g ipod/jh13, I'm going to sell it. I'm getting a pico slim to have a portable amp around, but I don't really need and amp/dac anymore, since I listen to cds at home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back