Portable Amp / DAC Shootout: iFi Micro iDSD vs Resonessence Concero HP vs Chord Mojo vs iFi iDAC2 vs HRT Microstreamer
Aug 22, 2016 at 2:46 AM Post #32 of 37
  If mojo didn't get shutting off hot and have an internal battery I would have bought it. I just don't like those caveats. :\

It doesn't get shut off, it will only happen if you are using Line out at hot environment.
if you use Line out to HD600 like headphone, you wil end up blowing the drivers and your ears both. It's 3V :)

Aug 22, 2016 at 3:10 AM Post #34 of 37
Oct 30, 2017 at 8:28 AM Post #36 of 37
Interesting review, especially because i'm torn between getting an iDSD2 (blacklabel) or IDAC2. What is however interesting is that some of the comparisons you made seem to be exactly opposite to the findings of other people (including iFi/AMR engineers) so that makes it pretty complicated and slightly confusing.I suspect it has to do with your testing being done on headphones using the builtin headphone amps of the devices. Have you compared these also without using the builtin headphone circuitry, to purely test the DAC itself?
I'm curious because iFI reps insist that purely as a DAC, the iDAC2 is actually better than the iDSD, including the new blacklabel iDSD. And these statements were done in a threat promoting the iDSD blacklabel! At first this baffled me until I looked closer at the specs and realized the higher price of the iDSD has more to do with its headphone features than it's DAC (which is the same, except iDAC2 has a discrete class A output circuit where iDSD has to do with opamps running in class AB). iDAC has shorter signal path and better components due to more space in the housing after cramming in the needed features.
It seems a very easy estimate to make that the siginificantly more expensive iDSD is the premium and technically better device, so I wonder if placebo plays a roll in judging the sound, especially since i've not only heard opposite final opinion, but even opposite findings of the very same things (which sounds 'warmer', which is more detailed, which is faster, which has more neutral/reference sound) - I have literally heard the exact same lingo used to describe iDAC vs iDSD as was used by others to describe the opposite. Confusing!

I would be very curious about a comparative review of just the DACs in these two devices since that's what i'll be using it for. A

Nov 7, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #37 of 37
Lol sorry to revive this thread.

I've recently tried my friend's silver iFi Micro iDSD and thought it sounded really good. I like how it sounded rich and warm and fun.

It took me a long time to find something like this in a sea full of sterile/cold/linear dac/amp which is the norm these days.

I saw someone selling a Concero HP for $300 USD, and iDSD Finale for $350 USD. Are those still good prices in 2023?

My preference is forward female vocal, rich string instruments and I prefer more thicker / colored / fun sound.

Headphone I'm currently using Lawton TH900. This would be strictly for desktop use, I technically don't need the portability. So I was thinking for use case maybe Concero HP is best, but for sound maybe Mojo or iDSD Finale?

Too bad I couldn't find another desktop unit that has the same sound signature, currently I had to resort to hybrid tube amp to get this kind of sound signature. But I'm hoping I can get a solid state unit that has the same fun, musical and colored sound.

Which do you guys recommend I go for? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back