Portable Amp/DAC equivalent Asus Xonar Essence STX
Jan 18, 2014 at 4:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

gofvonx

New Head-Fier
Since I rarely use my desktop-PC with the Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card to listen to music anymore I am looking for a portable Amp/DAC solution mainly to connect to a notebook paired with Beyerdynamic DT 1350. I would like to spend as little as possible without sacrificing much sound quality compared to the desktop setup. This probably is very hard to answer, but I am interested in any experiences and suggestions. Thank you!

Jan 18, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #2 of 20
  Since I rarely use my desktop-PC with the Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card to listen to music anymore I am looking for a portable Amp/DAC solution mainly to connect to a notebook paired with Beyerdynamic DT 1350. I would like to spend as little as possible without sacrificing much sound quality compared to the desktop setup. This probably is very hard to answer, but I am interested in any experiences and suggestions. Thank you!

FiiO E07K, E10, E17.

Jan 19, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #4 of 20
Thanks. Those Fiio products are quite often recommended. Has anybody of you two experiences with the Asus Xonar in comparison? Maybe I'll just order the E17 from amazon to test it...

Also, the Leckerton Audio UHA-6S MKII is extremely appreciated around here, but I don't know if the additional costs for shipping (plus foreign customs) to Europe can be justified. Though, I would prefer a equally satisfiying experience compared to the Asus Xonar.

Jan 26, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #5 of 20
I have both the Xonar Essence STX and the FiiO E10. The Xonar Essence STX has better soundstage, clarity and vocal, so the FiiO E10 pales in comparison. I can't agree with FiiO E10 being comparable, at all. Not too sure about E07k or E17, though, but as far as I'm told, FiiO E10 is the best sounding of the bunch. Sound is subjective as always. ATH-A900x and Koss KSC-75 was used for testing.

Though, the side effect is, I'll be amazed every time I listen to the STX because I use the FiiO E10 for longer periods at work.

Anyway, I'm also interested in something portable that is equivalent to the STX. It sounds too good.

EDIT: I forgot to say, I have a weird setup with the STX. STX > another amp (FiiO E5. They don't sell these anymore) > headphone. The amp is just to drive the bass upwards, as I suck at EQ. Also acts as a cable extender. I only use the bass amp with the KSC-75. The A900x doesn't need additional bass.

EDIT2: I'm on the UniXonar drivers for STX.

EDIT3: Sorry, I'm totally wrong. See http://www.head-fi.org/t/701097/portable-amp-dac-equivalent-asus-xonar-essence-stx/15#post_10241759

Basically, the E10 sounds similar to the STX. The difference is minimal.

Jan 26, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #6 of 20
  I have both the Xonar Essence STX and the FiiO E10. The Xonar Essence STX has better soundstage, clarity and vocal, so the FiiO E10 pales in comparison. I can't agree with FiiO E10 being comparable, at all. Not too sure about E07k or E17, though, but as far as I'm told, FiiO E10 is the best sounding of the bunch. Sound is subjective as always. ATH-900x and Koss KSC-75 was used for testing.

Though, the side effect is, I'll be amazed every time I listen to the STX because I use the FiiO E10 for longer periods at work.

Anyway, I'm also interested in something portable that is equivalent to the STX. It sounds too good.

EDIT: I forgot to say, I have a weird setup with the STX. STX > another amp (FiiO E5. They don't sell these anymore) > headphone. The amp is just to drive the bass upwards, as I suck at EQ. Also acts as a cable extender.

As far as I know, the output impedance of Asus Xonar STX for headphones is around 10 Ohms. (Like Fiio E09K)
I'm sure its headphone amp (TPA6120A2) is very good for high impedance loads (Headphones with impedance over, let's say 200 Ohms) but it's not probably the best pick for low impedance headphones.

Quote: from innerfidelity.com
The lower the output impedance of the amplifier, the less it will “feel” and be affected by the load reactance (phase angles).

It is the ratio of the output impedance of the amp to the load impedance of the headphones that results in the “damping factor” of the system. Damping factor is the load impedance divided by the source impedance. As a rule of thumb, a damping factor of 10 or more is desirable for the source to be able to drive the load with authority. For example, if the amp has an output impedance of 10 ohms, you want the headphones to be at least 100 ohms or more in order for the amp to make the headphone driver move accurately with the audio signal.

You may find this pretty interesting:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparison-beyerdynamic-dt-880-32-ohm-dt-880-250-ohm-and-dt-880-600-ohm-headphones
(The article has 2 pages)

Jan 26, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #7 of 20
  As far as I know, the output impedance of Asus Xonar STX for headphones is around 10 Ohms. (Like Fiio E09K)
I'm sure its headphone amp (TPA6120A2) is very good for high impedance loads (Headphones with impedance over, lets say 200 Ohms) but it's not probably the best pick for low impedance headphones.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparison-beyerdynamic-dt-880-32-ohm-dt-880-250-ohm-and-dt-880-600-ohm-headphones

Uh, wasn't I pretty much praising the Xonar Essence STX in my post, though?

Jan 26, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #8 of 20
I'm sure its headphone amp (TPA6120A2) is very good for high impedance loads (Headphones with impedance over, let's say 200 Ohms) but it's not probably the best pick for low impedance headphones.

<link removed because I'm new>

Uh, wasn't I praising the Xonar Essence STX? That said, I mentioned I have a weird setup (STX into another amp), does that affect anything? I'm pretty new at this. I guess I'm not the best guy with both DACs to give opinions due to my setup.

EDIT: Pardon me if I'm wrong, but it seems that the FiiO E5 in my setup would provide me with the low impedance my headphones were looking for, based on your link (which I agree with), no?

Jan 26, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #9 of 20
Well, double amping is not the best you can do to preserve sound quality. You have to sum the distortion of the first amp, the distortion of the second amp and distortion in between (cable). I think its fair to ignore this last term as far as you use a cable without any major troubles.

You should connect a cable from your STX line out to your E5 input in order to avoid double amplification. In this case, you will be using your high quality DAC (built into your STX) and the E5 Amp only (which has an output impedance of 0,7 Ohm)
Yelling a much better Damping Factor for your low impedance ATH-A (or AD) 900X.

Jan 26, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #10 of 20
Well, double amping is not the best you can do to preserve sound quality. You have to sum the distortion of the first amp, the distortion of the second amp and distortion in between (cable). I think its fair to ignore this last term as far as you use a cable without any major troubles.

You should connect a cable from your STX line out to your E5 input in order to avoid double amplification. In this case, you will be using your high quality DAC (built into your STX) and the E5 Amp only (which has an output impedance of 0,7 Ohm)

Yelling a much better Damping Factor for your low impedance ATH-A (or AD) 900X.

It's actually worse than that. You don't sum the noise of the two amps, you multiply the noise of the first amp by the gain in the second amp, then add the noise of the second amp.

HOWEVER, in reality it's not as bad most people think - even with the double amping, you might not be able to actually *hear* the noise, and the advantages of the second amp might completely outweigh the increase in noise - it just depends on the headphones and the two amps involved.

Jan 26, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #12 of 20
It's actually worse than that. You don't sum the noise of the two amps, you multiply the noise of the first amp by the gain in the second amp, then add the noise of the second amp.

HOWEVER, in reality it's not as bad most people think - even with the double amping, you might not be able to actually *hear* the noise, and the advantages of the second amp might completely outweigh the increase in noise - it just depends on the headphones and the two amps involved.

You are right. My bad!

Unless I define the sum in such a way that performs exactly what you've said =D

This happens to me when trying to explain quite technical stuff at 1 A.m. while studying math.

Jan 27, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #13 of 20
  Uh, wasn't I praising the Xonar Essence STX? That said, I mentioned I have a weird setup (STX into another amp), does that affect anything? I'm pretty new at this. I guess I'm not the best guy with both DACs to give opinions due to my setup.

EDIT: Pardon me if I'm wrong, but it seems that the FiiO E5 in my setup would provide me with the low impedance my headphones were looking for, based on your link (which I agree with), no?

The Essence STX may have a 10-Ohm headphone output impedance and the FiiO E5's impedance is somewhere under 10-Ohm.
But the Essence STX headphone amp should do a better job in general of driving headphones,
Maybe for headphones that are under 32-Ohm, the E5 might be better a better amp choice.
But for best audio quality for the E5, you would want to hook it up the STX's line-out (RCA or front headphone jack).

Jan 27, 2014 at 12:39 AM Post #14 of 20
  Let's get back on topic. Portable DAC comparable to Xonar Essence STX?

I would thing for roughly the price range of the STX, the only thing that comes to my mind is the FiiO E17.
I would say the E17's low impedance headphone output, would start to be a benefit (over the STX) for headphones around 40-Ohms or less.
Also as the E17 is an external DAC/amp, would not be affected by any electrical noise, from inside a computer case (or laptop).

Jan 28, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #15 of 20
  I would thing for roughly the price range of the STX, the only thing that comes to my mind is the FiiO E17.
I would say the E17's low impedance headphone output, would start to be a benefit (over the STX) for headphones around 40-Ohms or less.
Also as the E17 is an external DAC/amp, would not be affected by any electrical noise, from inside a computer case (or laptop).

Have you tried it yourself and compared the FiiO E17 and the STX? I just showed FiiO E10 vs STX above, which, a FiiO rep said himself, is better than FiiO E17 as FiiO E17 is meant for portability. The STX simply blows the E10 out of the water.

OP said he'd rather have a comparable experience rather than cheaper price, too. Personally I would've bought Essence STU but it's 3 times the price of the STX, and doesn't look portable with a laptop.

EDIT: Ignore this terrible post with ridiculous amount of misinformation and read my re-review with all variables controlled. http://www.head-fi.org/t/701097/portable-amp-dac-equivalent-asus-xonar-essence-stx/15#post_10241759

Users who are viewing this thread

Back