portable alternative to superlux HD660/330 under $100
Aug 20, 2021 at 4:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

WibuSquire

New Head-Fier
Does anyone know any IEM, earbuds, or on ears that got relatively similar sound to Superlux HD660/330?

I loved mine but my place is basically hot & humid + I sweat a lot (basically not a good place for full size over ear headphones)

planning to change to smaller gears, hopefully I can find something that sounds close to my hd660

what I'm looking for:
-tight, fast, controlled bass, especially for rock & metal. also not too low in volume
-forward & aggressive mids, but not shouty/thin
-treble doesn't have to be extended as long as its sounded natural enough & got good body for cymbals
-it doesn't need to have large soundstage & extremely pinpoint imaging, though at least it should got good imaging
-either open or closed back its fine

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #2 of 8
Does anyone know any IEM, earbuds, or on ears that got relatively similar sound to Superlux HD660/330

I loved mine but my place is basically hot & humid + I sweat a lot (basically not a good place for full size over ear headphones)

planning to change to smaller gears, hopefully I can find something that sounds close to my hd660

what I was looking:
-tight, controlled bass, especially for rock & metal. also not too low in volume
-forward & aggressive mids, but not shouty/thin
-treble doesn't have to be extended as long as its sounded natural enough & got good body for cymbals
-it doesn't need to have large soundstage & extremely pinpoint imaging, though at least it should got good imaging
-either open or closed back its fine
The description sounds like you are more in alignment with BGGAR’s target curve.
You may consider following:

-Tripowin Mele ($50)
-KZ ZAS ($60-70)

Both would fit to your preference I believe.
I have surplex HD668B, HD661 btw.

Aug 20, 2021 at 5:32 PM Post #3 of 8
The description sounds like you are more in alignment with BGGAR’s target curve.
You may consider following:

-Tripowin Mele ($50)
-KZ ZAS ($60-70)

Both would fit to your preference I believe.
I have surplex HD668B, HD661 btw.
BGGAR? *googling* ah, Bad Guy Good Audio Reviews. I guess so, tho my playlist r completely different from him (I also listen to JPop, JRock, ost, lofi, orchestra, acoustic & more aside from rock & metals)

lemme check. the only tripowin sold in my country is the tc-01, interesting. as for ZAX, Imma do more research on that one

u got superlux too? noice! my history with superlux is:
-HD681b (loved it everytime I game with those feels like I'm in the game)
-HD661 (I really want to love this one because I like the looks & quite portable, also got good details so it makes a fine monitoring headphone. but the mids its just too thin & shouty for me & the bass doesn't have enough punch, more evident the moment I switched to HD660 which got lesser bass & details but better punch/control & better mids & full bodied cymbals)
-HD651 (nothing special with this one bloated bass...rolled off treble...still makes a good beater headphone whenever u need background & its cheap)
-HD572 (the cheapest. rolled off bass & treble, enhanced mids. good for acoustic, some rock & vocal monitors, lacks that energy to make ur foot tapping tho)
-all of hd381 series (really I should just grab this instead because its basically semi-open IEM version of HD681 series, but sadly its no longer available in my country, & durability is an issue. my favorite is the hd381a)
-HD660 (basically the end of my superlux journey, this got all I wanted which I already described on the OP, compared to most of my other superlux, although it got slightly less detail (unless I do the damping mods) & it does need more power
-samson sr850 (my friend lent it to me for a few days. its not superlux, but its basically cheaper version of hd668b, I actually like it, makes me considering the hd668b)

I also already tried some kz. the ZS7 (too warm for me) & the edx (not bad, although I heard TRN mt1 already make it obsolette)

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2021 at 10:02 PM Post #4 of 8
BGGAR? *googling* ah, Bad Guy Good Audio Reviews. I guess so, tho my playlist r completely different from him (I also listen to JPop, JRock, ost, lofi, orchestra, acoustic & more aside from rock & metals)

lemme check. the only tripowin sold in my country is the tc-01, interesting. as for ZAX, Imma do more research on that one

u got superlux too? noice! my history with superlux is:
-HD681b (loved it everytime I game with those feels like I'm in the game)
-HD661 (I really want to love this one because I like the looks & quite portable, also got good details so it makes a fine monitoring headphone. but the mids its just too thin & shouty for me & the bass doesn't have enough punch, more evident the moment I switched to HD660 which got lesser bass & details but better punch/control & better mids & full bodied cymbals)
-HD651 (nothing special with this one bloated bass...rolled off treble...still makes a good beater headphone whenever u need background & its cheap)
-HD572 (the cheapest. rolled off bass & treble, enhanced mids. good for acoustic, some rock & vocal monitors, lacks that energy to make ur foot tapping tho)
-all of hd381 series (really I should just grab this instead because its basically semi-open IEM version of HD681 series, but sadly its no longer available in my country, & durability is an issue. my favorite is the hd381a)
-HD660 (basically the end of my superlux journey, this got all I wanted which I already described on the OP, compared to most of my other superlux, although it got slightly less detail (unless I do the damping mods) & it does need more power
-samson sr850 (my friend lent it to me for a few days. its not superlux, but its basically cheaper version of hd668b, I actually like it, makes me considering the hd668b)

I also already tried some kz. the ZS7 (too warm for me) & the edx (not bad, although I heard TRN mt1 already make it obsolette)
I see, Jrock like Yorushika? I’m pretty familiar with Japanese music scenes so if you could provide couple of favorite bands I guess I can offer a better recommendations. I’m thinking you may like Moondrop Aria from that favorite genres mentioned above.

For tripowin TC-01, I’d forget about it, it’s not a big name on headfi community.

and it’s not ZAX, it’s latest series of KZ, KZ ZAS. EDX and MT1 are just $6 single DD, I rate those as D+ grade, not going to make a significant difference unless you got extremely low budget or considering cheap gift.

Aug 21, 2021 at 8:49 AM Post #5 of 8
I see, Jrock like Yorushika? I’m pretty familiar with Japanese music scenes so if you could provide couple of favorite bands I guess I can offer a better recommendations. I’m thinking you may like Moondrop Aria from that favorite genres mentioned above.

For tripowin TC-01, I’d forget about it, it’s not a big name on headfi community.

and it’s not ZAX, it’s latest series of KZ, KZ ZAS. EDX and MT1 are just $6 single DD, I rate those as D+ grade, not going to make a significant difference unless you got extremely low budget or considering cheap gift.
I'm familiar with Yorushika, pretty much my japanese playlist r relatively close to that (with the exception of AIMER, Kalafina, gackt, Yuyoyuppe, etc). oh and also LiSA! I'm always test my gears with her songs (shoutiness test)

ah yeah I already researched the Moondrop Aria (I assume its the 2021 version). its already on my list although I need to make sure before I pull the trigger on that one

ah okay ZAS, I'll do some more research on that one as well

Aug 21, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #7 of 8
I'm familiar with Yorushika, pretty much my japanese playlist r relatively close to that (with the exception of AIMER, Kalafina, gackt, Yuyoyuppe, etc). oh and also LiSA! I'm always test my gears with her songs (shoutiness test)

ah yeah I already researched the Moondrop Aria (I assume its the 2021 version). its already on my list although I need to make sure before I pull the trigger on that one

ah okay ZAS, I'll do some more research on that one as well
Ah the artist you mentioned shall Match very well to Moondrop Aria(2021), mostly Late 2010s artists✌️

ZAS got pretty nice vocal separations and detail retrieval which would match to your sound profile preference. Aria 2021 meanwhile would have more natural timbre with fast and elastic bass responses, making sound rich and smooth.

Tripowin Mele just came out on day before, so yes we can wait a bit to see how that turns out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back