Porta Corda as DAC
Jun 12, 2007 at 8:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

EnOYiN

Headphoneus Supremus
I am planning on buying a WooAudio 6 or a darkvoice 336i. Now the problem is as follows: I haven't got a standalone DAC, but I have got my Porta Corda.

The question:

How awfull will it sound if I use my Porta Corda as a DAC untill I can afford a better stand-alone DAC? (since the Porta Corda doesn't have line out)

Will this still be an alright solution or should I save up for a standalone DAC before buying the Woo6?

Thanks in advance.

Jun 12, 2007 at 11:14 PM Post #2 of 7
I've tried this with my Porta Corda MkIII-USB, feeding the headphone output into my Woo 3. It sounds good but there was a low-level hum. I recently got a Tripp-Lite isolation transformer but I haven't tried it yet with the Corda & Woo 3. The Tripp-Lite is for my Central Station, Aphex 204, Woo 3 and Elite player.

I was guessing that the corruption was coming from my laptop, I don't really know and I haven't tried to troubleshoot the problem.

So you need the DAC to do just USB?? If I intended to use my PC as source full time with my big amps I'd plan to buy a dedicated DAC...although I am totally content using the Porta Corda MkIII-USB as my amp for listening from my laptop.

Jun 13, 2007 at 9:09 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've tried this with my Porta Corda MkIII-USB, feeding the headphone output into my Woo 3. It sounds good but there was a low-level hum. I recently got a Tripp-Lite isolation transformer but I haven't tried it yet with the Corda & Woo 3. The Tripp-Lite is for my Central Station, Aphex 204, Woo 3 and Elite player.

I was guessing that the corruption was coming from my laptop, I don't really know and I haven't tried to troubleshoot the problem.

So you need the DAC to do just USB?? If I intended to use my PC as source full time with my big amps I'd plan to buy a dedicated DAC...although I am totally content using the Porta Corda MkIII-USB as my amp for listening from my laptop.

Ok, so it shouldn't sound all that bad.

I am planning on buying a DAC and I will indeed need USB compatibility. I just haven't got enough left-over money to buy a DAC and the Woo 6 right now. It will most likely not be too long before I can buy a standalone DAC for use with the Woo. Something like another month or so. I am just too impatient I guess.
biggrin.gif

Jun 13, 2007 at 9:03 PM Post #4 of 7
One month...is that all? ?
tongue.gif
I've become very good at waiting with this hobby.

A nice DAC should take the W6 up a notch, it will be sweet (and pre-congrats on the Woo).

I now have the urge to buy a USB DAC. Why does this happen???
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 13, 2007 at 9:07 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

One month...is that all? ?
tongue.gif
I've become very good at waiting with this hobby.

A nice DAC should take the W6 up a notch, it will be sweet (and pre-congrats on the Woo).

I will have to wait for the Woo6 as well. I haven't even ordered it yet.

Anyways, I will have to start thinking about a nice DAC as well. Spitfire maybe? Zhalou? DAC-Ah? Benchmark DAC1? Musiland MD-10? Arg.

I am thinking the Benchmark would be overkill, but still that is one nice looking DAC.
tongue.gif

Quote:

I now have the urge to buy a USB DAC. Why does this happen???
evil_smiley.gif

You just want to be able to post in the Curse thread so you can get a higher post count. That's it.
biggrin.gif

Jun 13, 2007 at 9:26 PM Post #6 of 7
lol

I'm waiting to see which DAC you get and copy you, then for my # 3,000 post I'll announce its arrival where it can join my Woo 3.
600smile.gif

I know nothing about USB DACs so I better get reading.

Jun 13, 2007 at 9:37 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

lol

I'm waiting to see which DAC you get and copy you, then for my # 3,000 post I'll announce its arrival where it can join my Woo 3.
600smile.gif

I know nothing about USB DACs so I better get reading.

I am trying to find a DAC which uses the same technology the Benchmark has but cheaper. I don't need the headphone amp the Benchmark has to offer nor do I need the balanced outputs. I do need that jitter resitant technology.

The worst part of that is that the Benchmark DAC1 is the only DAC which uses this sort of technology right now for as far as I know.

You could also wait for a asynchronous DAC, but I fear that that will take another year or 2 (make that 5) before they'll make that and I fear that I won't be able to wait that long.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back