[Poor Man Reviews] Master And Dynamic's MH40
Dec 21, 2014 at 3:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

thatonenoob

Reviewer: PMR Audio
MASTER AND DYNAMIC'S MH40

<< Beyerdynamic T-70P                                  
Quick Navigation Panel

INTRODUCTION

One of the unexpected hits of this (quickly ending) year, Master & Dynamic’s MH40 has managed to capture the attention of both the popular and audiophile markets through a winning combination of aesthetics and sound quality –a feat accomplished by few.  Following a creative philosophy that combines "disciplined routine and a perpetually dynamic approach", Master and Dynamic seems to have a solid understanding of what it takes to produce good products in general, and it is no wonder that the company is already making rounds in the headphone market. 

Before I go any further, I’d like to offer a big thank you to Jonathan Levine, the Founder & CEO of Master & Dynamic, for sending a review unit for the purposes of this review.  As always, I am neither an employee nor an affiliate of Master & Dynamic, and all pictures are taken and owned by me.  For those interested in when I'll be returning to the IEM reviews, you can be assured that next week's review will be an epic shootout between Final Audio's ToTL offerings.

PACKAGING/ INCLUDED ITEMS

The MH40 comes in a very nice box with a high-quality matte image of the headphones printed on its front.  Pulling the tab uncovers a black cardboard box, which opens to reveal a foam cutout with the headphones inside.  A nice leather cylinder in the middle of the foam cutout contains the two included cables.  Such a nice case for the cables  is slightly unnecessary in light of the fact that it is neither particularly portable nor particularly practical.  Its large size really is never utilized fully considering that it only actually needs to store one cable once the headphones are in use.  Hefty literature is available for those who enjoy reading.  Overall, the MH40 comes in a solid package.  If there were one change I’d make, it would be to perhaps include a headphone stand instead of the leather cylinder.   

BUILD/ DESIGN QUALITY

Arguably one of the nicest looking pairs of headphones that I’ve ever seen to date (in the conventional sense), the MH40 combines excellent functionality with beautiful aesthetics.  The attention to detail that Master & Dynamic has paid to the design of the headphones is simply impressive.  The headband is made of leather, and has a very pleasant clamping force.  It’s got enough pinch to make sure that the headphone won’t be sliding off your head during active use, but it is still much more comfortable than something like the VModa M100.  It might be interesting to note that the outer part of the headband is made of a durable cowhide, while an incredibly soft lambskin covers the inside.  It’s a small insight that nonetheless serves as a reminder of Master and Dynamic’s extremely thorough design process.

Joints are made of steel, and feel rugged.  The diamond bevel on parts of the headphone and cable are just a few of the little touches that help to enhance the premium feel of the MH40.  Moving to the earcups, it’s reassuring to note that they feature aluminum housings that store two 45 mm Neodymium drivers.  To help enhance portability, the earcups do swivel flat, and work very well in an around-neck position.  The depth of the earcups is moderate, though those of you with bigger (or flappier) ears will definitely be able to feel the metal grill that shields the driver.  In addition, the earcups aren’t particularly wide, so this may pose a challenge for some.  The lambskin earpads are fantastically comfortable though and can easily be replaced as they are magnetically attached to the headphones.  Isolation is solid, and with music playing at low-moderate levels, very little environmental sound will be getting into the earphones. Do note that there is a slight bit of leak though (that's right Madonna fans...turn that stuff down).

Both cables are made of braided cloth, and unlike some of their counterparts out on the market, did not exhibit any immediate signs of fraying. The cable with the inline remote features a smart feature where the mic is separated from the remote itself.  It is located further “upstream” and nearer to the user’s head, a logical design choice that we’re now starting to see with increasing frequency.  The 3.5 mm jack plug is straight and made of metal. 

Overall, the build quality on these headphones is simply excellent.  The design quality, I'm glad to say, is similarly good. The overall aesthetic of the MH40 is incredibly coherent, and the many well thought out design features work together to create a great portable headphone.

SOUND QUALITY

The MH40 is without a doubt a headphone with a strong emphasis on bass.  However, unlike the Beats line of headphones, the MH40 features a refinement in the lower frequencies that makes it significantly more pleasant to listen to.  There’s weightiness to the MH40’s mid-bass that makes for a rather unique listening experience as well.  It’s not a boomy, smothering sound that plagues many a bass heavy headphone, but instead a weighty and relatively quick (not fast) one.  Extension is good, but I wish there was just slightly more sub-bass.  Given the quantity, I’d say that the MH40 boasts pretty good bass quality as well.  However, it isn’t exactly what I would describe as resolving, and at times there was just a slight hint of bleed into the mids.  That said, the way the MH40’s bass is set up does make for a very fun overall listening experience, and how can one fault fun?

The mids are lush and intimate, providing for an incredibly rich listening experience.  Smooth (oh so little sibilance!) and easily likable, it’s a sound that really comes down to personal preference.  Those who prefer neutrality and accuracy won’t be making a 180 turn because the MH40, but those who already enjoy this kind of SQ will find the headphones very appealing. When gauged against the bass, it's not that the MH40's mids have been tuned specifically to be laid back or particularly recessed, but that the bass is quite powerful in comparison.  If you found the VModa M100 to be your cup of tea, then the MH40 won't be far off either.   

Highs are clear, and provided sparkle when needed.  They aren’t screechy, and provide solid clarity and detail retrieval. Soundstage is slightly smaller than what I would consider moderate due to nature of the warm SQ, and do leave more airiness to be desired at times.  That said, the good instrument separation and general imaging prevent the MH40 from becoming claustrophobic.  For portable users, the MH40 will perform well out of a computer/ iDevice.  

FINAL THOUGHTS

Master and Dynamic's dramatic entrance into the audio world is not without merit.  The MH40 combines great aesthetics, build quality, and sound quality into a headphone that is wonderful for portable daily use.  If you're looking for a warmer pair of headphones with a rich, lush sound, then I'd happily recommend the MH40.  It definitely won't disappoint. 

Thanks for reading and happy listening!

Best Regards,
Thatonenoob

Dec 24, 2014 at 1:30 AM Post #5 of 24
Nice review!

I got to try this, along with the MH30, last July during a headphone event. Master & Dynamic were still around 2-3 months old back then, according to the reps I talked to. During my first impressions, I instantly though it's basically a closed HD 600 with more bass. Actually, I literally just got off the HD 600 when I auditioned these. I was also somehow amused with removing and putting back the magnetic pads for some reason. I wish it had other pad material options as the easy-to-remove-pads feature is quite useless, unless you're OCD enough to clean them everyday.

I am slightly puzzled with them marketing it as a portable headphone (hinted by the mic/inline controls). I don't find isolation sufficiently good and, frankly, too precious & elegant to be used outside where it could potentially be ruined aesthetically. Well, it's more of the latter actually.
wink.gif

Aesthetics are very subjective, but this is might be my favourite in terms of aesthetics/SQ ratio. I just wish for a white version as well.
Too bad I can't afford it due to being a broke teenager. 
frown.gif

Dec 24, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #6 of 24
Just got one as a present
Initial thoughts- great build quality,decent sound and I would say a very good buy for the money. Isolation is good but I would definitely not classify them as a on the go headphones. The tan steel combination looks stunning the black one MEH.

Dec 24, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #7 of 24
The MH40 is without a doubt a headphone with a strong emphasis on bass.  However, unlike the Beats line of headphones, the MH40 features a refinement in the lower frequencies that makes it significantly more pleasant to listen to.

Every try the Beats Solo2 then?

Dec 24, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #8 of 24
I wonder how these stack up against the B&W P7?

I own the P7 and listened to the MH40 briefly. My take on the MH40 may not be the most accurate. Anyway, my basic impression was that the MH40 has more midbass whereas the P7 has more subbass. The P7 also has more treble emphasis giving it more of an aggressive sound, while the MH40 is warmer and smoother. They are about on par in terms of soundstage, details, and refinement but the P7 might have the upper hand. Also, the MH40 feels sturdier, like you could shove it in a bag and not worry about it. The P7's finish is more luxurious and less industrial but both feel very high quality.

Dec 24, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #9 of 24
These headphones may worth be giving a try for me. I'm into a bit lusher "thicker" / not-so-sparkly sound with very considerably emphasized bass but still a lot of weight in the midrange and non-emphasized highs that still can provide sparkle when asking for it but shouldn't be there all the time. :p

I'm also quite a fan of it's design/build quality by the looks of it and don't mind this more "retro" look since it would only be used at home anyway.

It stands between these, Sony MDR-1A or JBL Synchros S500 (yes quite the different products) for me since I'm looking for the best closed "^--" shape response with emphasized bass (I'm talking north of 5dB, 7~10dB range or so) but even mids/highs presence and these 3 from my research seem to come the closest.

Dec 25, 2014 at 7:12 AM Post #12 of 24
  First off, thanks for the support everyone!  I've not been able to reply lately because I've been somewhat sick/ exhausted lately. 
frown.gif

Lab 1 vs Heaven 7 vs Heaven 8.

Oh. Well, close enough. 
tongue.gif
 Highly anticipating that shootout, PMR!

Also, I hope you get well soon, as well. Merry Christmas, buddy! I wish you all the best!
beerchug.gif

(On a side note, I also happen to be reviewing FAD's products -- specifically, their entry-level models. Have you tried them before, by any chance?)

Dec 27, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #14 of 24
Am I the only one who thinks these are ugly?

I think if they let the metal mesh take up the entirety of the cup I would like them, but they just look awkward in pictures. Maybe in person is different, we all know how deceiving pictures can be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back