PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player
Oct 8, 2014 at 10:38 AM Post #1,218 of 4,866
  Hmm... I did cut and paste.  What I posted is exactly the email I received...

Apologies Ableza. The email did say as you quoted. The Kickstarter update and the ponomusic site have since updated that info to:
"Update #46 incorrectly reported the ponomusic.com site shutdown date as Oct 6 & 7. In fact, we anticipate shutting down the site on October 9 & 10 in preparation for going live by October 11th."

Hard to keep with a series of posts all telling different stories. I understand the above is the correct one.

Oct 8, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #1,219 of 4,866
  Apologies Ableza. The email did say as you quoted. The Kickstarter update and the ponomusic site have since updated that info to:
"Update #46 incorrectly reported the ponomusic.com site shutdown date as Oct 6 & 7. In fact, we anticipate shutting down the site on October 9 & 10 in preparation for going live by October 11th."

Hard to keep with a series of posts all telling different stories. I understand the above is the correct one.

No worries.  Thanks for the correction.  :)

Oct 8, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #1,221 of 4,866
  Paranoia strikes deep...:)

Into your heart it will creep 
beerchug.gif

Oct 8, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #1,223 of 4,866

Touche my friend. Does that mean you are interested in the shares? 

Not sure what shares are, but.....just trying to say there really isn't anything fishy about Pono. It has growing pains just like any other new business. I am not worried in the lest about receiving my Neil Young autographed player. I will not even open it as I don't think it will approach the SQ of the AK240. I just wanted to support getting the word out about high res and quality mastering. I do think MP3s 250 and below do not sound as good as lossless.

Anyway........we will see what happens.

Oct 9, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #1,224 of 4,866
  Not sure what shares are, but.....just trying to say there really isn't anything fishy about Pono. It has growing pains just like any other new business. I am not worried in the lest about receiving my Neil Young autographed player. I will not even open it as I don't think it will approach the SQ of the AK240. I just wanted to support getting the word out about high res and quality mastering. I do think MP3s 250 and below do not sound as good as lossless.

Anyway........we will see what happens.

https://www.crowdfunder.com/pono-music/about/

i'll pick one up when its on the woot for $50.00

Oct 9, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #1,226 of 4,866

Well, I guess that's one way to ensure your AK240 investment goes unchallenged.
wink.gif

Oh, it won't be long before iRiver make something 'more ultimate' than the AK240...
wink_face.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/712487/april-fools-astell-kern-ak480-music-player

April jokes aside, it'll happen, for real. Only a matter of time.

I look forward to it, not because I want an AK480 (or whatever they decide to call it, in reality), but because if the AK240 then comes down to a more sensible price, I may consider buying one.

Oct 9, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #1,228 of 4,866
It should be. AK240 is practically useless, it does not have a line out to connect it to a portable amp. The AK240's audio signal is compromised by the lousy internal amplification circuit.

lousy? Have you owned one before? For a portable it has one of the best discrete amp implementation.

Oct 9, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #1,229 of 4,866
  It should be. AK240 is practically useless, it does not have a line out to connect it to a portable amp. The AK240's audio signal is compromised by the lousy internal amplification circuit.

Hahaha......I guess your bored and looking for an argument. For me, I'll just plug in and listen.  I've heard about......well never mind. Opinions are like armpits, everyone has two and they sometimes stink.

Oct 10, 2014 at 2:53 AM Post #1,230 of 4,866
  Hahaha......I guess your bored and looking for an argument. For me, I'll just plug in and listen.  I've heard about......well never mind. Opinions are like armpits, everyone has two and they sometimes stink.

lousy? Have you owned one before? For a portable it has one of the best discrete amp implementation.

There is a limit of size to what kind of electronic parts can be put inside AK240. We can argue how good is 'good' but the amplifying circuit of AK240 is no match to a good portable amp. This means that the sound quality of this player is not optimal and not on the level of quality of its DACs. Why go through trouble of fitting in a superior and expensive DACs into this player when the amplification will not do justice to these good parts ? It's like having very expensive headphones and putting a cheap substandard cable on them. PONO makers were more smart, they did not make it flat but triangular so that bigger and better electronic components of amplification can fit in. The amplifying section of PONO is thus bound to be better than the one of AK240.
It is incomprehensible that the outfit responsible for AK240 did not design this player to have a dedicated analog line out so that the audio signal can be fed to a portable amplifier.
Red Wine Audio does modding of AK240 to improve its sound, this includes installing a proper analog "line out" in this player. 
- http://redwineaudio.com/mods/rwak240
- http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=125158.0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back