PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player
Apr 18, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #2,792 of 4,866
  Just be careful and you should be fine.  All of my jacks are straight up and nothing bad has happened.

Its just the Grado cable weight can cause an anchor effect and create drag. I do have a way of getting around it by letting the cable droop back down behind the player and putting a strap there. Because I allocate players to specific pieces of gear my Pono will be used with either Grado 325e or Ety ER4S, those are the options I'm assigning atm. But I can see myself purchasing something entirely new for it eventually.

Apr 18, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #2,795 of 4,866
I've had a Pono player for ages but never made much of it. That changed when I finally tried it balanced with my Sony MDRZ7. I'm impressed great full bodied 3D sound. Now thinking about £$€ for a silver cable upgrade

Apr 18, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #2,796 of 4,866
I have the Pono and the Ety's-hardly ever use the Etys (reserve them for loud yard work...haven't ever found ANYTHING with as good isolation), partly because eventually the filters go, and I HATE changing those filters. But I will try them later when I have a chance. Currently struggling to get a good fit on a new chief, the acs Encore, which seems to be INCREDIBLY sensitive to the fit/seal. Yes, I know, it is important, but I never experienced such a day and night change. Not quite there, maybe need an incantation or 2...
(still only using single ended cables, so have to compare in that mode).

Apr 18, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #2,797 of 4,866
UERM and roxanne are both very good!

Quote:
  Here is a question for OldDude and others with some high end IEM or CIEMS.

I want to know what is a good match for the Pono in the high end IEM or CIEM world.
 My "short list" includes:

JH Audio JH13 Pro Freqphase

Shure SE 846

Dita Audo "Answer"

Regards,
Eric

Apr 19, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #2,799 of 4,866
OldDude, what case did you get for the Pono? I've found mine to be pretty resistant to falls and injury-the rubberized outside seems to do a nice job protecting it-but it would be nice to get an added layer of security.
Thanks.

Apr 19, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #2,800 of 4,866
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C6OJ4N2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Found it while reading the Pono forums.  Fits exactly, but top won't close because of the iem wire(s).  Also impossible to slip hand inside to change volume or ff, so has to be removed to operate.  But it's small and will do until something better comes along.

Apr 19, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #2,801 of 4,866
I read that someone said the LowePro Tahoe30 works and has spot for microsd's as well.

Edit: Found what they said "can also report that although it is a tight fit, the LowePro Tahoe 30 padded camera case can hold the player, charger, and USB cable, with room for extra cards in the little front pocket."

Apr 19, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #2,802 of 4,866
Thanks for the suggestions, check em out on Amazon.

Apr 19, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #2,805 of 4,866
So, spent some time listening to the etys (when I didn't have my new acs Encore in my ears), not bad...first, they seem to be less efficient than many other headphones I have, had to turn the volume much higher, to 6 o clock for some tracks. As far as sound, I found then a bit distant, veiled (the way some describe the Senn 650 as having a veil, which usually means it's not being driven well). Soundstage and air also not the best with this combo. Certainly able to enjoy my listen, but I've heard better combos IMO.
OK, that's the brief report, gonna crash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back