POLL: Which electrostatic amp for HE60/O2?
May 9, 2007 at 5:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 68

BANGPOD

1000+ Head-Fier

May 9, 2007 at 6:32 AM Post #3 of 68
Modwright Platinum Signature Sony 999ES

Classical, jazz, blues, female vocals, binaural

May 9, 2007 at 7:28 AM Post #4 of 68
These two headphones are pretty different and need different things from an amp. The SR-007 needs oodles of power and as much clarity the system can offer. The He60 isn't nearly as power hungry and they need a bit more warmth in the system then the SR-007. The KGSS is for me not even an option because while it is a good amp it isn't very musical when compared to the Blue Hawaii. The Woo still hasn't proven if it can drive the SR-007 fully but the He60 should be fine. I wouldn't touch the Egmont with a 10' pole, bad build techniques, crappy parts, way over priced and the circuit could be much better.

May 9, 2007 at 7:47 AM Post #5 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by BANGPOD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Modwright Platinum Signature Sony 999ES

Classical, jazz, blues, female vocals, binaural

Well the KGSS wouldn't be ideal given tastes and the Sony player, IMHO. Unlike Spritzer, I see no reason a player couldn't drive both the O2 and HE60 to perfection, it'll just need both power, bass control, and nice tone. I would recommend against a completely solid state amp for them, but a hybrid might be okay.

May 9, 2007 at 7:56 AM Post #6 of 68
You should stay away from solid state and while the same amp can drive them you would have to choose cables carefully. Neutrality and warmth is pretty hard to combine but metalized carbon or gold/silver hybrid should be able to pull it off.

May 9, 2007 at 8:02 AM Post #7 of 68
spritzer --

long time, no speak!

okay, so the kgss is out due to being solid state and the egmont classic is out due to build issues.
so all that remains is the blue hawaii, the ges, and the ea -- which should i get out of these...?

the only problem with the blue hawaii is that it is out of my price range when considering the bias supply, stepped attenuators, and wiring...

May 9, 2007 at 9:09 AM Post #8 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by BANGPOD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
spritzer --

long time, no speak!

okay, so the kgss is out due to being solid state and the egmont classic is out due to build issues.
so all that remains is the blue hawaii, the ges, and the ea -- which should i get out of these...?

the only problem with the blue hawaii is that it is out of my price range when considering the bias supply, stepped attenuators, and wiring...

Glad to see you are getting pulled back into the vortex...
evil_smiley.gif

The EA-X's seem to be unfinished and the build quality reflects the low price. I think that the GES is a fine amp but I don't know how the SR-007 will behave with it. It is a pretty good platform for upgrades so you could get it sound much better. The only problem I have with it is the 12AX7 tubes, they are pretty expensive NOS due to their popularity and you need 4. It would be fun to know if it can be swapped out for some other similar tube that is cheaper.

May 9, 2007 at 10:15 AM Post #9 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Neutrality and warmth is pretty hard to combine but metalized carbon or gold/silver hybrid should be able to pull it off.

The HE60's weakness isn't brightness, in fact it can sound quite dark if the system is setup as such, it's weakness is in being dry in the mids and bass, and quite rolled off. A neutral, sweet sounding system with good extention paired with fine silver cabling will work great with both headphones assuming that one doesn't want the O2 to tend towards the dry end of the tonal spectrum.

In my personal opnion, none of the current ESH amps have the mix down just right for either headphone.

May 9, 2007 at 10:34 AM Post #10 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HE60's weakness isn't brightness, in fact it can sound quite dark if the system is setup as such, it's weakness is in being dry in the mids and bass, and quite rolled off. A neutral, sweet sounding system with good extention paired with fine silver cabling will work great with both headphones assuming that one doesn't want the O2 to tend towards the dry end of the tonal spectrum.

In my personal opnion, none of the current ESH amps have the mix down just right for either headphone.

I know they aren't bright but they are more tipped up on the highs that can lead to the dry mids and bass. A warmer/sweeter system will make them sound better.

May 9, 2007 at 11:09 AM Post #12 of 68
Quote:

I know they aren't bright but they are more tipped up on the highs that can lead to the dry mids and bass. A warmer/sweeter system will make them sound better.

Yes, warm and sweet will sound just fine with both headphones (assuming that you get the O2's fit right).

Unfortunately, none of the amps in the list above really do it. I like the way the McAlisters use a xEM7 output tubes (similar to an indirectly heated 2A3), but they have their issues. The rest are too focused around the conventional tubes and designs favoured by amps for cone speakers without appriciating the different characteristics of planar speakers. Too much NFB, uninvolving tube compliments, not enough slew rate. Nothing that really makes me want to part with my hard earned.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thrice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about the Stax 007t amp? I've found it a good match with the HE60 and it takes care of the OII just fine.

Too mushy for the O2. It doesn't have the testicles for it. It's got enough juice to drive the HE60 just fine, but it might be a little too slow for Tchaikovsky. The HE60 likes an amp that can turn on a dime.

May 9, 2007 at 12:06 PM Post #13 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by thrice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about the Stax 007t amp? I've found it a good match with the HE60 and it takes care of the OII just fine.

The 007t doesn't work for the SR-007, period.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, warm and sweet will sound just fine with both headphones (assuming that you get the O2's fit right).

Unfortunately, none of the amps in the list above really do it. I like the way the McAlisters use a xEM7 output tubes (similar to an indirectly heated 2A3), but they have their issues. The rest are too focused around the conventional tubes and designs favoured by amps for cone speakers without appriciating the different characteristics of planar speakers. Too much NFB, uninvolving tube compliments, not enough slew rate. Nothing that really makes me want to part with my hard earned.

We should have somebody make a DHT amp for us. Some nice 211's or 845's to dominate the other amps...
biggrin.gif

May 9, 2007 at 12:32 PM Post #14 of 68
Quote:

We should have somebody make a DHT amp for us. Some nice 211's or 845's to dominate the other amps...
biggrin.gif

6EM7 (1st half) -> 6EM7 (2nd half) -> [Chinese] 211/845 or GM70 might be quite commercially ecomomical if someone could make an affordable power supply that didn't sap the magic out. It'd make 12AX7/6SN7/EL34 based genericum seem rather disinteresting.

May 9, 2007 at 1:02 PM Post #15 of 68
So, basically there is no electrostatic amplifier worthy of driving either of these two headphones? How will I listen to them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back