Poll: Do you disconnect your Headphone from amp/cdp after each listening session ?
Jul 7, 2001 at 6:11 AM Post #31 of 42
BenG: Actually, I don't see why I should use that - no offence meant. I've just never had any oxidation problem, yet. Or would you say it enhances the sound, too?

Manfred / lini

Jul 7, 2001 at 6:11 AM Post #32 of 42
Most of the time I leave my phones plugged in, but then again, I also leave my speakers plugged into my amp most of the time
biggrin.gif

Is there a reason people would remove their headphones from the jack, but not speakers from their binding posts?

I kinda figure if my headphones are slowly ruined from leaving them plugged in, I won't notice anything significant for several years, and by then I'll most likely have moved on to a different pair, seeing as how fast my tastes change!

Jul 7, 2001 at 6:50 AM Post #33 of 42
lini, If you use it on all your connectors - RCA, Phones, AC, Tube, Speaker, you will probably hear a difference.

Even if you can't see oxidation, it is forming a thin layer over the connectors, even if they're gold.

Jul 7, 2001 at 11:08 AM Post #34 of 42
For stax and sennheiser headphones (orpheus and mini orpheus), leaving them plugged
in all the time is definitely recommended. Also it keeps them
charged up a lot longer.

Jul 7, 2001 at 11:42 AM Post #35 of 42
I'll plug 'em in in the morning, then at night I'll turn the volume all the way down and unplug them. I just don't want any electrical surge during the night come and zap my headphones. Take the amp! Not the Senns!

Jul 7, 2001 at 2:30 PM Post #36 of 42
BenG: I'm just a little suspicious, when people talk about these kinds of "wonder fluids"... Do you happen to remember Last, a vinyl conditioner? I once bought that (for quite a lot of money...), tried it on two lps - and finally got a lot of crackling and popping on both. Also, some people like these contact sprays, even for repairing scratchy pots. But usually, once they tried that, they find out, that it only helps for a few months - and the scratichness is even worse after.

Maybe we have to consider some more factors, though: Local climate (moist or dry...) might make some difference - and temperature, too. So somebody in Jacksonville might see/hear an improvement with such a contact conditioner, whereas somebody else in Denver might not notice anything. Bavaria is much more Colorado-like than Florida-like, by the way...
wink.gif

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Jul 8, 2001 at 1:21 PM Post #37 of 42
I am surprised to see a lot of you leave it in..

I guess ruining the jack spring tension isnt a concern when you change/upgrade amps frequently
wink.gif

Tides

Jul 12, 2022 at 7:22 PM Post #38 of 42
Take it from someone who's worked in radio stations for nearly 3 decades, headphone jacks DO wear out. But it takes a LOT of plug/unplug cycles to do it. In radio stations, where different air-staffers plug and unplug headphones many dozens of times per day, headphone jacks last anywhere from a year or two to (max) about five or six years (in my experience). But replacing them is no big deal for someone not afraid of a soldering iron. If that doesn't describe you, any half-decent technician can do it for you.

In a home setup, with headphones not plugged/unplugged more than once or twice a day, you may well NEVER wear out your headphone jack. And there is very possibly a benefit to plugging/unplugging fairly often...it scrapes off any oxidation which may build up on electrical contacts. In fact, it's a good idea to unplug and re-plug ALL of your audio components a couple of times per year, rocking the plug back and forth in the jack a little bit, and rotating it as you remove, and insert. There are commercially available products with which to treat your plugs/jacks to prevent oxidation. Clean contacts are happy contacts
wink.gif
For SE seems correct. For balanced? Would be more rugged. Also if someone has rhodium tips they would last longer - does anyone make those?

But for me - 85% of my headphone listening is on planars. Very susceptible to cooking fumes or dust (magnified by running with no rear screens or mesh - which don't really protect Mylar cans anyhow) even a BBQ or fire pit next door. When not in use packed into a plastic bin 22x16x8. Fits all 4 of them with cables attached (to cups).

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2022 at 7:35 PM Post #39 of 42
BenG: I'm just a little suspicious, when people talk about these kinds of "wonder fluids"... Do you happen to remember Last, a vinyl conditioner? I once bought that (for quite a lot of money...), tried it on two lps - and finally got a lot of crackling and popping on both. Also, some people like these contact sprays, even for repairing scratchy pots. But usually, once they tried that, they find out, that it only helps for a few months - and the scratichness is even worse after.

Maybe we have to consider some more factors, though: Local climate (moist or dry...) might make some difference - and temperature, too. So somebody in Jacksonville might see/hear an improvement with such a contact conditioner, whereas somebody else in Denver might not notice anything. Bavaria is much more Colorado-like than Florida-like, by the way...
wink.gif

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
Last... If you happen to have a VPI HW-17F nearby after a cleaning Last goes on pretty well. With a carbon brush - no.

I do have two 3/4 full bottles of Cramolin and Tweek from the early 80's (original). Contact cleaner and lube. They are as rare as hens teeth the past 20 years. Cardas makes a product like tweek so that isn't rare. I have a standing offer of $500 for the three pack. I guess when savings for the Susvara get close I'll do it.

Attachments

• 20220712_192754.jpg
    20220712_192754.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 12, 2022 at 8:07 PM Post #40 of 42
For SE seems correct. For balanced? Would be more rugged. Also if someone has rhodium tips they would last longer - does anyone make those?

But for me - 85% of my headphone listening is on planars. Very susceptible to cooking fumes or dust (magnified by running with no rear screens or mesh - which don't really protect Mylar cans anyhow) even a BBQ or fire pit next door. When not in use packed into a plastic bin 22x16x8. Fits all 4 of them with cables attached (to cups).
Man you got out your shovel, wheel barrel and flashlights. Then put on your boots, jeans, safety helmet, gloves and proceeded to go all necrophilia on a thread from 2001!

Jul 12, 2022 at 10:20 PM Post #41 of 42
Man you got out your shovel, wheel barrel and flashlights. Then put on your boots, jeans, safety helmet, gloves and proceeded to go all necrophilia on a thread from 2001!
Yeah! I tried hitting back 1 page but must of hit <<. Well maybe someone will get some use from it - like you! 😝

Users who are viewing this thread

Back