Poll: Can you hear sound over 20kHz?
Jan 18, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #91 of 551
Hearing a 20 Hz frequency is weird too. I have trouble imagining a membrane moving at 20 cycles per seconds and hearing a continuous sound out of that.

Quote:
exactly. i been trying to say that. people think they can hear 21khz in these test but they really can't. it's just harmonics. it's not actually fundamental 21khz tone. that's why these tests people try are not legit. no one wants to listen so let them believe what they want. i bet barely anyone around hear can hear electronics around their house. lot of monitors,modems and tv's give off a fundamental 16khz tone when on standby or turned on first time of the day. can people hear their monitor or modem when they walk by it? probably most likely not. i get annoyed with my modem and still hear it from upstairs.

Oh I know what you are talking about! Haha, it used to annoy me in my small campus room when my focus shifted and made me start hearing my router communicating wirelessly with my laptop computer: an intermittent, high frequency tone, but very low and insidious and once you have set your attention on it it's very hard to "forget" it is present!

Now I have moved and the fridge I have makes more noise and overall it's more noisy (well, from a silent low dB to another silent low dB, because I love to do my homework in silence and I make sure I have it when I need it) and I don't know, but I don't hear it as much anymore.

Gosh it annoyed me in my first semester.

Jan 18, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #93 of 551

Quote:
Eww, why? It can't even hear past 12 kHz
tongue.gif

Well in the game those are used as trophies and I don't like to die or admit myself defeated (and it was a pun too :p). But don't feel forced to keep it, I wasn't such a worthy opponent.

Jan 19, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #95 of 551
Quote:
Pardon my ignorance, but are there actually any sounds over 20KHz in music? Or is there a lot of stuff going on in music that nobody hears?

There is some sound over 20 kHz, but nothing really important, only harmonic overtones of instruments (that have a much lower fundamental frequency), and noise from cymbals etc., however normally nothing at very high levels. But you can check it yourself by opening some lossless format music in a sound editor, and viewing the FFT at parts where you think a lot of high frequency content is likely, and experiment if filtering it out makes an audible change.

Jan 21, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #98 of 551
I don't trust those youtube links, but I've used some tone generator plugins and found out that I can hear up to 18,000 Hz. I'm a male and I'm 19.

Jan 21, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #99 of 551
Erm... You guys actually have loudspeakers/headphones that are spec'ed to be capable of emitting >20kHz sound?

On a related note, it turns out I can't hear 14kHz and above, yet I'm only 29. Either something is very wrong with my ears or the MacBook Pro's speakers are really crappy - the latter case would still be the lesser of two pieces of bad news.

Jan 22, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #100 of 551
I'm15 years old right now, my doctor says that I have a excess build of lipids near my eustacian tubes so I am hard of hearing right now 

Jan 22, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #101 of 551
Quote:
Erm... You guys actually have loudspeakers/headphones that are spec'ed to be capable of emitting >20kHz sound?

On a related note, it turns out I can't hear 14kHz and above, yet I'm only 29. Either something is very wrong with my ears or the MacBook Pro's speakers are really crappy - the latter case would still be the lesser of two pieces of bad news.

I would try something other than laptop speakers first, before you start shopping for a hearing aid or something.

Most headphones will play 20 kHz, just not necessarily loud or clean.

Jan 22, 2012 at 4:35 AM Post #102 of 551
Have you tried raising the volume more? It seems everyone can here anything if they raise the volume enough. By maxing my amp I heard the 22 kHz at mosquitosringtones well enough (even though I can't hear past 17 kHz on normal-to-loud listening levels)... with a capable headphone, of course (Fostex T50RP).

Quote:
I would try something other than laptop speakers first, before you start shopping for a hearing aid or something.

Most headphones will play 20 kHz, just not necessarily loud or clean.

Jan 22, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #105 of 551
Quote:
Have you tried raising the volume more? It seems everyone can here anything if they raise the volume enough. By maxing my amp I heard the 22 kHz at mosquitosringtones well enough (even though I can't hear past 17 kHz on normal-to-loud listening levels)... with a capable headphone, of course (Fostex T50RP).

I used a sine generator, as should everyone. Probably what you're hearing when you turn up the ring tone is IMD or some other artifact. Using LittleSine, I can hear up to 17.4 kHz in both ears at my regular listening volume (although it's quiet), but not anything above that at any volume. Steep cutoff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back