Pogues: Young Ned of the Hills
May 16, 2006 at 3:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Vicious Tyrant

100+ Head-Fier
Man......

Tonight, I re-found this old tune which I hadn't heard for years. Those guys, for all their drunkeness and problems they REALLY knew how to lay it down.

I see the Pogues mentioned here and there on the boards, what a drag they fell apart.

May 16, 2006 at 4:17 AM Post #2 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicious Tyrant
Man......

Tonight, I re-found this old tune which I hadn't heard for years. Those guys, for all their drunkeness and problems they REALLY knew how to lay it down.

I see the Pogues mentioned here and there on the boards, what a drag they fell apart.

IF I SHOULD FALL FROM GRACE WITH GOD is one of the finest albums of the 20th Century.

"Did you work upon the railroads?
Did ya rid the streets of crime?
Were your dollars from the White House?
Were they from the Five and Dime?"

from Thousands are Sailing

May 16, 2006 at 6:39 AM Post #3 of 15
i saw the pogues in vancouver near the end..shane was gone..joe strummer was filling in as a last minute arrangement.....awesome show..they even backed joe strummer for a bunch of pogueish versions the classic clash songs. they were unbelievably tight....i was expecting drunken sloppiness but they were right there and great sound too
spider stacy sang alot ...he was the guy that sang young ned of the hill and alot of other good ones
shane is one of my favourite songwriters ..right next to tom waits

i missed shane but friends that saw earlier shows told me that he would only play part of the show anyways before getting too drunk and leaving
rolleyes.gif

poor person

May 16, 2006 at 1:06 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Riordan
hey! that's my favorite pogues song
smily_headphones1.gif

For a long time I really didn't pay attention closely to that one for some reason, I think "Broad Majestic Shannon" and "Lullaby of London" plus the punkier ones like "Bottle of Smoke" and "Turkish Song of the Damned" were my favorites. But "Thousands are Sailing" has really grown on me in the past couple years. What an awesome song..

oh.. you were probably talking about the song mentioned in the Subject.. hehe.

-jar

May 16, 2006 at 4:12 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Masonjar
oh.. you were probably talking about the song mentioned in the Subject.. hehe.

-jar

i was... but 'thousands are sailing' is fine as well
wink.gif

May 16, 2006 at 4:16 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by FalconP
If you like The Pogues, you may also take a look at Wolfstone and Runrig from Scotland, and the Oysterband from England.

oysterband i second... as for runrig, i liked them in the 80s but there's too much polished pathos and too little folk-punk there for me, can't stand them any more.

more poguesy stuff: shane mcgowan & the popes (no surprise there...), the men they couldn't hang, and the levellers (both english, but so were the pogues in a way).

May 16, 2006 at 4:38 PM Post #9 of 15
i saw The Pogues play in Atlanta when they were touring for If I Should Fall from Grace with God... they were freaking fantastic.

shane was getting ripped as the night went on, but he made it through the whole show and didn't miss a beat.

Luka Bloom opened... that was the first time i'd heard of him.

May 17, 2006 at 12:47 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by glenmorangie
poor person

Yikes. That photo is kind of scary.

Remember his Shane MacGowan and the Popes album? A lot of weak stuff on there, but some great stuff too.

That one that goes "I was brutal, I was ignorant, I was cruel, I was brash" always sounded really painful to me. Makes for great music, but must be a difficult life.

May 17, 2006 at 10:57 PM Post #12 of 15
Like VicAjax, I was lucky enough to see the Pogues with a progressively more drunk but still tenacious Shane. I can still picture Spider Stacy playing the penny whistle while smoking and smoke was pouring out of the thing while he played. The band was tight as hell and Shane was awesome even while bobbing around the stage with a whisky bottle in his hand.

That pic of Shane is gonna haunt me, BTW.

May 18, 2006 at 3:11 AM Post #13 of 15
If I Should Fall.... is indeed a great album, a "maturing" if you will.

But I also love the raw fun power of the earlier albums. Yes, Young Ned Of The Hill. Streams Of Whiskey, Sally Mclennane, Dirty Old Town, Irish Rover, Boys From The County Hell, etc. etc.

I have a few bootlegs of them, they do a great version of London Calling and A Message To You, Rudy.

I missed the opportunity to see them live, but between the bootlegs and one video of them, I get my fix.

May 18, 2006 at 2:21 PM Post #14 of 15
an interesting thing to note is that 'young ned of the hill' came AFTER 'if i should fall'. it's from 'peace and love', my least favorite pogues album overall. shane was in pretty bad shape by then, and the singing duty was taken off his shoulders step by step.

but both 'young ned of the hill' and 'the galtloney rats' still have that raw energy and celtic fighting/drinking spirit of the earlier albums.

btw, i also like the two following shane-less albums, i prefer them to 'peace and love' with the exception of that one brilliantly angry song... i would have loved to hear joe strummer sing that one. who ever could have thought that shane would survive his replacement?

May 18, 2006 at 3:14 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Riordan
who ever could have thought that shane would survive his replacement?

it's so sad. as much as i love macgowan's throaty growl, joe strummer was an unmatched talent who made music that is very close to my heart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back