Poduction Mixes?
Sep 24, 2007 at 1:54 PM Post #2 of 8
That could be very cool!

Sep 24, 2007 at 3:39 PM Post #3 of 8
No, it wouldnt. Sorry. What would be cool is properly mastered music encoded at a decent bitrate, not spiked music at a crap bitrate.

Sep 24, 2007 at 3:52 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by noob
... We had some vindication, in that it did sound different and it did sound louder, and the record did really, really well.

Do these people all have broken volume knobs or what?

Sep 24, 2007 at 4:24 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, it wouldnt. Sorry. What would be cool is properly mastered music encoded at a decent bitrate, not spiked music at a crap bitrate.

I meant that it could be that more will actually start caring about how it sounds.

Sep 25, 2007 at 5:20 AM Post #6 of 8
Wow, weird. I'm interested to learn these secret Motown techniques that make tracks louder.
rolleyes.gif

Sounds like... Sonic maximizer / finalizer / exciter (harmonic/subharmonic generation), mid-range cut, compression, limiting, treble boost, and an imager/shuffler to widen stereo image.

*shrug*

Sep 25, 2007 at 11:30 AM Post #8 of 8
Although this might look like a bad thing at first sight I am having ambivalent feelings about it.

It's understandable that they would mix music this way since most people actually listen to music using an iPod. So, I think it's a good initiative to adapt the music to devices that are used to listen to it.

For people who DO own better equipment it won't be listenable, but you should realize that most music is (sadly) not about the music any more, but about making money. And they will probably sell more if they mix their music in such a way that it sounds good for the masses.

I haven't even heard of Gabrielle, but I think they are doing a good job because they are caring about how it sounds at least. It might be a shame that it won't sound good on other (better) devices any more, but it might cause other people to realize that there is better quality out there.

Who knows.

Until then we'll just have to do with the crap they put out these days.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back