Pocketknives, any body into Knife-Fi?
Jul 14, 2006 at 5:47 PM Post #106 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
I'm no expert, the bladeforums sharpening forum is probably your most comprehensive bet. Knifeforums is a smaller forum with a bunch of knowledgeable guys, too. One thing I've done rather than buy a lansky or other stone based sharpening system is to just tape some 60 or 80 grit sandpaper to the edge of a counter and freehand. A sink works well since you can easily do both sides of the knife around the two sides of the sink, aids in cleanup, and you can wetsand if you wish. Just make sure the sandpaper is mounted securely and clean up carefully, which should go without saying. My friend who uses freehand stones exclusively complains about grooves being worn into them.

The spyderco sharpmaker is a great tool for working on the actual edge, indispensable for saving time and effort when you can actually hit the edge, but I agree of trains, if you have to reprofile, the sharpmaker doesn't cut it. It'd take thousands of strokes, maybe under a thousand if you have the diamond rods...but not by much.

For a knife you will actually use, give some spydercos some more consideration. I'm really not a fan of the recurve on the small kershaws. And the chive is so small, the index flipper is hard to grip, and it's definitely a 3 finger handle. It's just a pain in the butt. I regret buying my chive. If you've got some stores around you, try handling the knives first. Big stores like walmart and rei, you can walk in, handle the knives, and walk out without feeling guilty for not buying anything. Spydercos are not known for being sexy, but the right models fit your hand well and have a lot of utility. Everyone's hand is different, though, so see if you can get your mitts on them. For example, the dodo looks great on paper but my hand is just too small for it and the big hump sticks into my palm. On the other hand, the yojimbo fits very well in my hand in a variety of grips.

Ya, there's an REI walking distance from me, they have a few spydercos. I'm gunna try to get out there tomorrow.

Jul 14, 2006 at 5:52 PM Post #107 of 240
My EDC used to be a CKRT Mo'Skeeter... until my paranoid mother took it away! I have never gotten it back, and she refuses to even consider returning the knife - which I bought with my own money - although I can list the reasons for having it around, which does not include self-defense.
frown.gif

EDC = Every-Day Carry, right?

The Mo'Skeeter was a nice low-profile EDC, and useful for opening boxes, cutting tape/rope/material and a *gasp* flathead screwdriver in a pinch. I miss it greatly.
frown.gif

What is the legality of carrying a knife in Canada, does anyone know?

Jul 15, 2006 at 2:10 AM Post #111 of 240
I have an interframe w/ zytel crkt knife. The liners are on the weak side - I wouldn't choose it over the standard m16.

What makes the Hissatsu good?

Jul 15, 2006 at 4:06 AM Post #113 of 240
All I have is a cheapie I bought from Target for $25 that was combined with a cheap multitool. It obviously low-quality, but it functions for now. I do want to invest in a nicer one later on, but it's low on the priority list.

My boyfriend is about the opposite of me, though. He has quite a few knives, with his main one being a Spyderco SpyKer. That is a very nice knife; very smooth to operate, lightweight but strong handle, and a very good blade.

Jul 15, 2006 at 5:15 AM Post #114 of 240
Anybody notice the Knife-Fi at the Hamilton (Canada) Head-Fi Meet?

Check out the pics - LINK

-R-

Jul 17, 2006 at 2:54 AM Post #115 of 240
I just picked up the Benchmade Pika. Simple knife, very sharp, locks well. No assisted opening or anything fancy. I got it on sale for a pretty cheap price too. Looked at the Kershaw Chive and the CRKT M16, but both were more than I wanted to spend. Knives are fun stuff.
biggrin.gif

Jul 21, 2006 at 5:19 PM Post #117 of 240
Hey guys, I've yet to read this thread, but I also want a pocket knife...

I've began carrying a pen around with me at all times. I have learned it is extraordinarly useful when you least expect it. I want to begin carrying a knife in my pocket as it's a tool. Sometimes I need to cut something, or open a clamshell that something came in (which usually requires me searching everywhere for the sharpest pair of scissors or knife in the house), sometimes I need to make an enrgaving in something which my pen cannot (i.e. some black piece of wood that my pen doesn't show up on), and sometimes I might need it to cut open a box or something that my hands generally cannot do.

I know I'm a bit young for a knife, but I am thinking $$50-100, I'de love something I could get locally in Toronto, but if not, I could probably find a way of ordering one off the web (Kevin... LOL.)

Kevin, if your reading this thread, PM me, I might want your help as you seemed to be the master of knives at the Hamilton meet.

Jul 21, 2006 at 5:31 PM Post #118 of 240
I'd do a search, as there's a thread I started a while ago called "Pocketknives, any body into Knife-Fi?". Oh wait...as a matter of fact, I'm posting in it right now!

That/this thread should give you plenty of answers, but you have to read it first.

edit: I also find it extremely lazy on your part to ask a question in a thread that directly pertains to your question, right after admitting you haven't read it.

Jul 21, 2006 at 9:26 PM Post #119 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaGWiRE
Hey guys, I've yet to read this thread, but I also want a pocket knife...

I've began carrying a pen around with me at all times. I have learned it is extraordinarly useful when you least expect it. I want to begin carrying a knife in my pocket as it's a tool. Sometimes I need to cut something, or open a clamshell that something came in (which usually requires me searching everywhere for the sharpest pair of scissors or knife in the house), sometimes I need to make an enrgaving in something which my pen cannot (i.e. some black piece of wood that my pen doesn't show up on), and sometimes I might need it to cut open a box or something that my hands generally cannot do.

I know I'm a bit young for a knife, but I am thinking $$50-100, I'de love something I could get locally in Toronto, but if not, I could probably find a way of ordering one off the web (Kevin... LOL.)

Kevin, if your reading this thread, PM me, I might want your help as you seemed to be the master of knives at the Hamilton meet.

Aren't you 13? You better check to make sure it's legal to even carry a knife with you at that age. I think a multi-tool would be a better choice for you, like a Leatherman or a Gerber, these are much easier to use for houshold chores than a knife. I only use my knife when me and my dad go fishing or camping, or if I'm going to a shady neighborhood. I also take it with me when I'm out shooting (my slr or dslr) by myself, since most of my shots are done at night and I carry a lot of expensive gear with me.

Jul 21, 2006 at 9:41 PM Post #120 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
Aren't you 13? You better check to make sure it's legal to even carry a knife with you at that age. I think a multi-tool would be a better choice for you, like a Leatherman or a Gerber, these are much easier to use for houshold chores than a knife. I only use my knife when me and my dad go fishing or camping, or if I'm going to a shady neighborhood. I also take it with me when I'm out shooting (my slr or dslr) by myself, since most of my shots are done at night and I carry a lot of expensive gear with me.

Yup, pretty sure it's legal (I remember something on the news about something with knives being way too legal), but I do realise I cannot bring it to school and the like.

I was thinking a multi purpose knife would do too. But I don't want one of those small swiss army ones, and I don't want one with a bunch of things I will never use like cork screws and stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back