Pls help: Problem on Tivoli's PAL
Jan 18, 2007 at 4:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

NEO

500+ Head-Fier
I have purchased Tivoli PAL from the store in USA a few months ago. Recently I have used it in France which has the 220V electricity supply. I ordered one 220-110V adapter to be used with the radio's 110V supplied adapter.

When I plugged two adapters (220V-110V and Tivoli's 110-12V) together, there was a humming noise on the adapter and loudspeaker. Then there was some burn smell which was probably on one or both adapter.

I unplugged the radio and recharge it using different 220V-12V adapter. When the radio is fully charged. I tested it and found that there was no sound when I turned it on. However I tested it through the headphone out and both AM/FM and volume control worked fine.

My question is that, if the radio is overloaded when I plugged two adapters at the first time, was there any fuse or internal circuit to protect the loadspeaker?

Does anyone have opinion on what could go wrong with the speaker? The tuner and volume control still operated normally.

Thanks,
NEO

Jan 18, 2007 at 9:58 PM Post #3 of 3
Hi!

The case might be related to the adaptor, the basic ones ONLY "adapt" the physical form of the adaptor, while the more expensive ones not only adapt que form but also transform ( trough capacitors and other electronics) the current itself from the US 110v to EU 220v..

Thus, you might have fryed the device supplying it with the double of the current it is suposed to handle...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back