Please suggest a budget DAC
Dec 15, 2009 at 9:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

brendon

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I am planning on upgrading my Hotaudio Mark IV PCM2705 and Govibe PCM2702 based DACs.

I cant spend a lot on the DAC so my budget is max $200 with shipping extra.

Now I want a discrete DAC as I have a separate amplifier.

I plan on using a colored Tube amplifier so I want my DAC to be as neutral as possible.

Can I get something noticeable better than my current two DACs that is within my meagre budget ?

I can upgrade to $300 only if there is something significantly better.

My headphones are the HD650 and I currently have 2 home amps a Mosfet powered amp and a Bravo tube amp (which I plan to replace next year).

While browsing this site, I have come up with 2 names. Are they any good ?

Valab NOS USB Re-Clock DAC Low Jitter Dual 1ppm TCXO - eBay (item 300367299604 end time Dec-15-09 03:49:11 PST)

and this one - ZHAOLU D3.5 DAC D A CONVERTOR, STANDARD VERSION, NEW - eBay (item 330386205343 end time Dec-19-09 00:42:01 PST)

The last one really stretches my budget so I am hoping for some negative feedback on that one !
dt880smile.png

Dec 15, 2009 at 12:18 PM Post #2 of 15
I just came across the HRT Music Streamer+ from one of Head-fi's sponsors, seems like a good simple option for a plug-and play USB-powered NOS variety like the Devilsound, but for $100 less without the cables, $300. No bells and whistles just good clean CD-quality sound. The iBasso D4 has twin 24-bit DACs for just $219 with a portable amp built in if that's your thing, so many options
biggrin.gif

Dec 15, 2009 at 12:52 PM Post #3 of 15
There's a group buy for this DAC (to buy it for $254) that is filling up, but you should be able to get in if you PM the guy organizing.

Dec 15, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #4 of 15
Thanks for the tips.
smily_headphones1.gif

This seems to be nice as it seems to consentrate on pure sound quality without the bells and whistles that would add to the cost.

I however can't participate in the GO since I kinda live a few thousand miles away from the States !
smily_headphones1.gif

I hope the seller is willing to ship. I doubt shipping will be a big problem as the DAC looks pretty small and light.

Its out of budget (considering shipping will be extra), however I believe there is a very oft used phrase on head-fi that makes perfect sense at this juncture 'sorry about your wallet !'
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 17, 2009 at 6:08 AM Post #7 of 15
Damm guys, you are confusing me !
smily_headphones1.gif

I really want the $300 DAC since I will most likely never upgrade it but I feel I shouldn't spend more than $200 as I am not really an audiophile like you guys plus I am very picky about the type of music I like so I dont have a very large collection of music to listen to.

I am gearing more towards the iBasso D4 since it doubles up as portable amp which I can use on the go plus I can roll the OPamps to tweak the sound to my liking. And its withing my meager budget as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 17, 2009 at 6:41 AM Post #8 of 15
Must you have USB? Is there a SPDIF (maybe optical) output on your sound card?

If so, then all your money goes for the DAC circuitry, not the USB input chip.

For a very neutral NOS DAC, in your price range, go for the Moodlab Concept

moodlab

For 100 Euros more you can get the Moodlab Dice that has USB input, but I wouldn't -- I would get the well-reviewed (and tiny) M2Tech Hiface for $150, then use coax SPDIF to feed the Moodlab Concept. That's 150 US $ + 169 Euros, so we are above your budget, rats! I tried!

Moodlab does not get enough love around here. It is really great sounding. I use it with a Monarchy DIP Upsampler, which means the combo is not NOS anymore, and the results are very very close to my $1000+ Benchmark. You can add the Monarchy (another under-loved unit) at any time.

Dec 17, 2009 at 7:29 AM Post #10 of 15
^^ Yes, I was going to get a Asus Xonar DX for games. That has an SPDIF output which I can use to pair with the Moodlab but I dont think the sound is going to be anything remotely great
frown.gif

Dec 17, 2009 at 7:29 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$99 uDac. Its got an ESS Sabredac inside. I cant wait to get mine and see if its really that good

+1

Prior to Larry's glowing review, I just wouldnt have considered a DAC this cheap. Granted, I am going on word of mouth, but at that price what have you got to lose, particularly when people have spent serious money on something like the Benchmark only to find it too cold and analytical for their tastes. If only you could plug a $99 DAC into a $99 amp and be off the roundabout ....

Dec 17, 2009 at 11:45 AM Post #13 of 15
Hmm the Keces 151 seems to be a very well received DAC. And its just about within my $300 budget at $260 + $45 shipping to India.

However I am trying to decide between this and the iBasso D4. The Nuforce uDAC is nice and compared favorably against the more expensive D4. However from Skylabs review, I feel that the D4 is the more neutral DAC which is good since I will be pairing it with a tube amplifier which will color the sound.

The D4 has a few advantages over the Keces - more inputs including SPDIF, smaller and it can replace my Corda Porta as a portable amp. Plus the opamps can be rolled to tune the sound.

The Keces seems to have a couple of good reviews which portray it as a neutral amp with good lower end punch and detail along with a wide soundstage. Plus its powered by a wall socket rather than a meager 5V USB connection. So sonically I am sure the Keces is a better bet.

Dec 19, 2009 at 2:30 PM Post #15 of 15
^^ yeah shipping a heavy item like that would add a good $60 easily. Not to mention custom duties.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back