please recommend me some in ears for less than £80
Dec 8, 2010 at 8:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

mammoth1981

New Head-Fier
Hi

I've read a few threads recommending different earphones, and because of that I have a few in mind. But I'd rather not say what they are because I don't want to influence potential recommendations in replies to this thread. I hope that makes sense...

Basically my girlfriend needs new headphones again (Sennheiser CX55 broke and then Sennheiser CX300 were stolen) and as it's her birthday soon I thought I'd get her some new ones. I'm willing to spend up to £80 on them. She listens to wide variety of music including 70's rock like Dio, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Led Zeppelin etc as well as new dance music (mostly drum and bass) and the odd bit of soul. Given that, she needs a pair of earphones that perform well under a wide range of music.

I still use my CX300s that I bought 4 years ago, and I love them... but I'm interested in seeing what better headphones can sound like. I'l probably end up buying myself pair if I'm impressed with hers.

I'm in the UK, so something available direct from Play or Amazon.co.uk would be ideal but I'll consider anything.

Thanks in advance,
mammoth.

Dec 8, 2010 at 9:18 AM Post #2 of 6
OK

The ones I had in mind were these:

Beyerdynamic DTX 80
Klipsch S4
Etymotics HF2

Am I going to go far wrong with any of these? Are they all going to sound noticeably better than her previous CX300s?

Thanks

Dec 8, 2010 at 9:34 AM Post #3 of 6
Give some time for the responses to come in. Chances are the forum-goers at this time don't really know what to say.
smily_headphones1.gif

Is there anything you particularly dislike about the CX300? What did you like the best? Did you like the bass coming from it? Do you like the idea of having more details than what was provided in the CX300?

Truth to be told, the first time I looked at this, I thought you should get an introductory neutral earphone, so, you can tell us whether you want the earphones to have more bass, more details, bright or warmer, etc. the next time you come around for our opinions again.
wink.gif

For your budget, I'd imagine it be either the Brainwavz M2 or 3, RE-0, RE-ZERO, Sunrise Xcape or Klipsch Image S4. I am probably missing some other prominent earphones, but those are the only one I could come up with.

Dec 8, 2010 at 9:50 AM Post #4 of 6
Hi

Thanks for your reply. Just to be clear, the headphones aren't for me they are for my girlfriend. We have both had CX300 previously, I still have mine and am happy with them but hers are stolen. Instead of getting her another pair of the same I thought I'd splash out on something better, because I hear from these forums that there are plenty of better headphones around than those.

Personally I like my CX300s. I've never heard a pair of headphones that sound better than them, because the only other headphones I have used are crappy buds or those ear canal ones you get with your mobile phone. If I was to fault them I'd say that the bass is probably overkill and causes listening fatigue sooner that it might, and the high mids / trebles sometimes sound a bit fuzzy depending what kind of music I'm listening to. This is why I'd like to use my girlfriend as the guinea pig for a more expensive pair, and if I'm impressed I'll probably get myself some too.

Who makes the RE0 and the ReZero, I'll go and have a look at some reviews.

Thanks again
mammoth

Dec 8, 2010 at 9:55 AM Post #5 of 6
Checkout Xscape at http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sunrise-SW-Xcape-Earphones/dp/B0040YJ4AY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1291819965&sr=8-1

Great bang for buck

I have used them and can recommend them

Dec 8, 2010 at 10:28 AM Post #6 of 6
From the sound of things, you probably want to focus your search onto either RE-0, RE-ZERO or Sunrise Xcape. The RE line up is created by Head-Direct, you can see that they are one of the sponsors here. If even better, you should ask your girlfriend for her opinion.

I'd scratch the HF2 for now, because the Ety's can be too bright and clinical for someone that is coming from the CX300. HF2 are good Ety introductory earphones, but they aren't good audiophile-introductory earphones, in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back