Please recommend me a pair
Jul 17, 2010 at 12:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

tranceport

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I just signed up yesterday. I heard about your wonderful site from a friend who is essentially an evangelical of this community. For the past two days I have heavily searched the site looking for some information. While I narrowed down my choices, I would sure appreciate any help or advice you could offer.

Budget: $150 to $200 CAD

Brand:  No specific brand loyalty. I have had a pair of Sennheiser EH-350. Served me well but time to move on.

Playback:  Given that I'm pretty much tied to my wireless because of my profession, I've been using my iPhone as main music player. At this point, I don't have a big fancy sound system to plug the phones into. Perhaps some day but for now not a priority.

Mobility:  I prefer they be somewhat mobile as I will be taking them to on the road from time to time. Mobility is not of utmost importance.

Music choices:  I listen to mostly classical, electronic, ambient, jazz, some pop. Not much rock, no metal, hip-hop,......

Tonal quality is very important. It's important to have deep bass which is not distorted but at the same time I'm not specifically looking for phones that tend to lean towards more bass.

Sets I have been looking at:

Shure SRH840
Audio Technica ES7
M-Audio Q40
Beyerdynamic DTX900
Denon AH-D1001

I would really appreciate any advice! Thanks!!! :)

Jul 17, 2010 at 1:20 AM Post #2 of 8
I think you should also add the Audio Technica M50's to the list. They have a lot more bass then the 840s and a better fit. They are also cheaper, but the sound quality is not quite as good. Close. Both of them sound just fine out of an Ipod.

The Denon D1001 is also not bad, but you might be able to save some money by getting the Creative Aurvana Live which is the same. They're 50-60USD on Amazon. For me they were ON the ear headphones, which is not something I like. Maybe my ears are just too big.

Jul 17, 2010 at 1:36 AM Post #3 of 8
I have read about the M50s. I actually forgot to add them to my list. I prefer headphones that reproduce the recording more faithfully (that is, with little colouring) as opposed to a unit that has a lot of bass.

Comfort is a must as I tend to wear my headphones for hours while doing work or studying. Also important is the build quality. I take very good care of all my electronics and pride of ownership is something I value a lot. I'm looking for a set that's durable, well built, and that with care would last a while. For example I read that several people reported that their tM-Audio Q40 left cup suddenly went dead, cheap quality wires, etc.

Jul 17, 2010 at 12:26 PM Post #6 of 8
My problem with the Shure 840's is that they were very heavy and loose on my head. I could move just a bit and they would fall off. They just did not feel very secure. I have a small head, but there is no reason they still should not fit. It felt like I was just balancing them on my head. The m50's fit just fine and so do other similar looking headphones.

Not that I care, but they also look ridiculous on my head!

Jul 17, 2010 at 12:34 PM Post #7 of 8
wow.  i do not have that problem at all with my srh840s.
quite the opposite.  they fit kind of firmly.

the problem most often reported with the srh840 is that the headband is rather firm.  and, when the headphones are opened up in order to put them on your head, the headband flattens out (more than most phones).  this leaves the headband only making contact at the apex of your head.  and for some folks it makes their noggin sore.

i think their comfort is pretty average.  and haven't had any issues other than the slightly sweaty ears you get with wearing pleather padded phones...

i would, emphatically, recommend the srh840 over the m50 if you are seeking a more even handed s.s.

not that the m50 is of less quality.  it's certainly not neutral, tho...  
bigsmile_face.gif

Jul 18, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #8 of 8
Thank you all for the kind recommendations. I placed an order for the SRH840 and I can't wait to try them. They were slightly more expensive than the M50s but since I only buy headphones once in a blue moon, I figured may as well take the plunge. I very much like natural balance as opposed to headphones that tend to add some colour. My EH-350s added that typical Sennheiser "warmth" which isn't that bad but if I'm going to go up a level in terms of quality, I'd like to have a pair of phones that reproduce the recording as closely as it was meant to be heard.

Given what I read about their comfort level, I'm hoping there won't be any issues. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back