Please help with choice: Byerdinamic DT 770 PRO, AKG 545 or Plantronics or Sony
Oct 7, 2016 at 8:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Alexei Zavarski

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,
I did not have experience yet with hi-fi sound, but I like good sound, so I decided to buy over-ear or better on-ear headphones. My budget is 120-200$.
I am a fan of Pink Floyd, classic and hard rock, like Ozzy. I'd like to listen them via laptop or iPhone and in future I'm planning to buy Hi FI player, Flio maybe.
A good advantage is their size, so it's good to listen them on the road or while walking, but the priority of good sound.
I've read tons of topics about headphones, but I did not find yet the perfect ones. A lot of people recommend Byerdinamic DT 770 PRO, but I came to the conclusion that they require amp and better sound setup, which is pretty big, even for 32 ohm version. Also I looked for the AKG 545 or B&O PLAY by Bang & Olufsen, Plantronics or Sony.
I would really appreciate if you could help me with some advice or any good alternative.
Thank you in advance! 

Oct 8, 2016 at 2:08 AM Post #2 of 7
I'm new here, but if you are looking for a nice pair of headphones around 120 that don't require an amp you should try the AKG k553s, you can get them on massdrop for 120 without shipping. Maybe there are better choices for your application, but if you want neutral clear sound with a tiny bit more bass that's what I can think of right now.

EDIT: sorry I didn't read the part of size, the k553s are huge cans, if size matters a lot to you you shouldn't get them.

Oct 8, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #3 of 7
I have both the the DT770 (80ohms version) and the AKG K545. When I tried the DT770 32ohms at a store it sounded fine out of both my DAP (FiiO X1) and my smartphone. I ultimately chose the 80 ohms version because it has nice velour earpads and my dap could still drive them just fine.

The DT770 is a big pair of headphone and it can't fold up. The K545 is more compact and it can fold up. They both have good build quality though the DT770 feels more robust (maybe simply because they are bigger?). The DT770 provides more isolation than the K545 especially the 32 ohms version with its pleather earpads.

Regarding the sound, the K545 is the more balanced headphone, the DT770 has a recessed midrange. The extra bass and treble of the DT770 can be nice if that's your thing, and it can come especially handy when sitting on a noisy bus/train.

I can't comment on the rest of the headphones as I haven't heard them.

Oct 8, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #4 of 7
If you don't mind the total lack of portability (realistically) and you like the v-shaped sound ... the DT770's are super fun headphones..I have had mine (pro 80's) for 4yrs now very comfortable can be worn for a long time without discomfort (in my experience) .

I feel like if you are going to be using them out and about either the DT770 or the AKG's are not super ideal given there bulky size (maybe as mentioned before the DT770's more affected by this issue..... personally I like the Beyer's much more,  an amp would be ideal with the Pro 80's but my galaxy S6 can do pretty good with them.

If you need to travel with them maybe consider the ATH M50X as the V-shaped sound is pretty good for rocking out (imho)

between the AKG and Beyerdynamic models mentioned I would choose the DT770's personally.

Oct 8, 2016 at 7:44 PM Post #5 of 7
  If you don't mind the total lack of portability (realistically) and you like the v-shaped sound ... the DT770's are super fun headphones..I have had mine (pro 80's) for 4yrs now very comfortable can be worn for a long time without discomfort (in my experience) .

I feel like if you are going to be using them out and about either the DT770 or the AKG's are not super ideal given there bulky size (maybe as mentioned before the DT770's more affected by this issue..... personally I like the Beyer's much more,  an amp would be ideal with the Pro 80's but my galaxy S6 can do pretty good with them.

If you need to travel with them maybe consider the ATH M50X as the V-shaped sound is pretty good for rocking out (imho)

between the AKG and Beyerdynamic models mentioned I would choose the DT770's personally.

Hey also, have you tried the Custom Streets by beyerdynamic before? They look pretty portable and im also considering getting a pair.
EDIT: they used to be $149 msrp, and now they are only $70 on amazon. I think thats a damn good deal for a pair of mini custom ones. 

Oct 8, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #6 of 7
  Hey also, have you tried the Custom Streets by beyerdynamic before? They look pretty portable and im also considering getting a pair.
EDIT: they used to be $149 msrp, and now they are only $70 on amazon. I think thats a damn good deal for a pair of mini custom ones. 

I haven't heard the Custom Streets... one thing that is different from anything else discussed so far is these are on-ear which is a deal killer for me... personally ... I really only like over the ear headphones.    maybe someone else has heard these?  

Oct 8, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #7 of 7

I haven't heard the Custom Streets... one thing that is different from anything else discussed so far is these are on-ear which is a deal killer for me... personally ... I really only like over the ear headphones.    maybe someone else has heard these?  

lmao, what if someone thought up a mod to make on-ears over ear, that would be so cool

Users who are viewing this thread

Back