Please Help with Audeze Upgrade Dilemma! Edited: No More Dilemma, Purrin's TP Mod Did It!
Dec 8, 2013 at 5:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

sling5s

Headphoneus Supremus
I currently have the LCD-2 Rev. 1.  I had the Rev. 2 but preferred the Rev.1.
I love the lush thick mids and bass of the Rev.1. 

While I love the LCD-2 rev. 1, I crave more separation, detail and soundstage. So:

1. Should I, sell the LCD-2 and get the LCD-3 which just improves on the LCD-2? 
2. Should I keep the LCD-2 for the midrange and bass quantity and get the LCD-X to complement the LCD-2?

thanks in advance. 

Dec 23, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #4 of 29
I am trying to make a similar decision.  I really like my LCD2.1 but have the itch to move to the LCD3.  I am afraid, however, it may be too unforgiving of poor or average recordings.

Dec 23, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #7 of 29
  I personally like the lcd 2 better then the 3, and the X better then all of them.  the X removes the dark veil on top.

Does the LCD-X retain the texture and tactile of the LCD-2/3 while being more open in the upper midrange and treble.  From the LCD-X reviews, I get the impression that the LCD-X loses some of that realism that LCD-2/3 possessed. 

Dec 23, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #8 of 29
  Does the LCD-X retain the texture and tactile of the LCD-2/3 while being more open in the upper midrange and treble.  From the LCD-X reviews, I get the impression that the LCD-X loses some of that realism that LCD-2/3 possessed. 

actually, I found that because of the more open treble and midrange, everything sounds much more natural.  It still has the bass impact of the 2 & 3 in my opinion, but the improved clarity gives everything more texture and life.

to my ears of course.

Dec 23, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #9 of 29
  actually, I found that because of the more open treble and midrange, everything sounds much more natural.  It still has the bass impact of the 2 & 3 in my opinion, but the improved clarity gives everything more texture and life.

to my ears of course.

Thanks.  That input helps.  Leaning now towards the LCD-X!

Dec 23, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #10 of 29
My confusion comes from reading so many opinions of the LCD2 vs LCD3.

I really like my LCD-2.1's but would like to correct a couple of aspects:
     1.  More refined upper mids / lower treble.  I detect a little harshness in the LCD2's
     2.  Less bloat in the lower mids / upper bass.

My understanding is the LCD3's have a smoother treble.  It seems to me this should make them more forgiving than the LCD2's not less.

Dec 23, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #11 of 29
In my LCD-2.1, I feel there's a slight bump in the 1-2khz and than a dip in the 3-4khz.  I also think that the upper midrange and lower treble is kind of grainy making it less smooth. 

The LCD-3 I heard has a dip in the 5-6khz but overall, it's much smoother than the LCD-2. 

Dec 23, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #12 of 29
This relative smoothness is why I would expect the LCD3 to be more forgiving than the LCD2, not less.  This is what is confusing to me.

Dec 23, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #13 of 29
The LCD-3 is smoother but from what I read, it is more detailed and revealing.  So while it reveals poor recordings, it is more forgiving doing it.  If that makes sense.  But that's just my guess. 

Dec 23, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #14 of 29
I owned the LCD-2.2 for a year, and have the LCD-X now. This past weekend, I tried the LCD-3 again--in a direct comparison against the LCD-X. There is no such thing as lush thick mids and a large soundstage in any headphone. You have to decide what you value more.

The LCD-3 has the lushest thickest mids in the Audeze line, with good detail, but a very intimate soundstage. The LCD-3 is all about the mids. The bass is nicely defined, but takes a back seat to the mids. The LCD-3 treble is very subdued. I consider the LCD-3 the most forgiving, compared to the LCD-2 and LCD-X.

The LCD-X has the the most neutral balance of the three, and the largest soundstage by a mile. The LCD-X mids have body and substance, but don't have the lush thick character of the LCD-3. To my ears, the LCD-X easily has the most detail of the three. This may be because there's no focus on any one aspect of the signature. The LCD-X treble definition, smoothness, and coherence spanks the LCD-3 and LCD-2.

I see no reason to own an LCD-2 and LCD-X. The LCD-2 signature lies between the LCD-X and LCD-3--but with less overall detail, looser sub-bass and a bit of grain in the treble. Price aside, the LCD-X and LCD-3 would be the best complement--due to their very different signatures.

It would be insane to choose the LCD-X or LCD-3 without hearing both yourself.

Dec 23, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #15 of 29
  I owned the LCD-2.2 for a year, and have the LCD-X now. This past weekend, I tried the LCD-3 again--in a direct comparison against the LCD-X. There is no such thing as lush thick mids and a large soundstage in any headphone. You have to decide what you value more.

The LCD-3 has the lushest thickest mids in the Audeze line, with good detail, but a very intimate soundstage. The LCD-3 is all about the mids. The bass is nicely defined, but takes a back seat to the mids. The LCD-3 treble is very subdued. I consider the LCD-3 the most forgiving, compared to the LCD-2 and LCD-X.

The LCD-X has the the most neutral balance of the three, and the largest soundstage by a mile. The LCD-X mids have body and substance, but don't have the lush thick character of the LCD-3. To my ears, the LCD-X easily has the most detail of the three. This may be because there's no focus on any one aspect of the signature. The LCD-X treble definition, smoothness, and coherence spanks the LCD-3 and LCD-2.

I see no reason to own an LCD-2 and LCD-X. The LCD-2 signature lies between the LCD-X and LCD-3--but with less overall detail, looser sub-bass and a bit of grain in the treble. Price aside, the LCD-X and LCD-3 would be the best complement--due to their very different signatures.

It would be insane to choose the LCD-X or LCD-3 without hearing both yourself.

Revision 2 of LCD2 is quite different in tonal balance to Rev1 though. Rev1 is (IMO) quite a bit more muffled-sounding, meaning treble takes a noticeable step back compared to Rev2. If OP actually prefers that, then LCDX is counter-intuitive even if it is the most balanced of the bunch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back