Please help me with the Cavalli Audio: Bijou
Jan 19, 2009 at 6:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

paara

500+ Head-Fier
Hi,

First of all I need to apologize for the the lack of knowledge. I have a few questions for you DIY'ers. I am new at DIY audio (not new to electricity
smily_headphones1.gif
), but I finally decided that I would try to make myself an amp. I choose the Bijou, because it seems like a challenge, and it has gotten great reviews. I have tried to read the 145 page long thread about it, but it is a little overwhelming. I see that glassjaraudio have a kit, but I am not able to buy it because I am from Norway because they do not take non domestic orders. I would really like to make myself a really good amp and wish to avoid buying components that don't match, are of low quality. Since I am new to DIY amping I really need some help. I am able to order the circuit boards from jarrglassaudio, and the casing I will make myself.
I listed my questions below:

1)I need some help finding a place online where I can buy the components needed to build the Bijou amp. Preferably I would like to buy as much as possible in one place.
2)I need some help picking good quality components, what is good and what is not.
3)Any modifications I should get. (like the 370dax instead of the 270dax, better potentiometer etc)
4)The absolute best help I could get, is if somebody had a list of which brand and type I should buy. Like creating a kit similar to the jarglassaudio, but maybe with even better components.

All help will be much appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks,
Stian

Jan 19, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #2 of 6
glassjar do take international orders.

email Jeff, he will sort you out.

and do spend the time to read the thread, its a tough build.

Jan 19, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by adamus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
glassjar do take international orders.

email Jeff, he will sort you out.

and do spend the time to read the thread, its a tough build.

Hi,

Thank you, that will make things easier.
But are there any components of the kit I should change?

I will try to read it more thorough.

Jan 19, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #4 of 6
Hi paara,

Yes, there are some components you might want to change, but the original kit is a great place to start. Lots of diy projects here are like that as well.

The build thread is long, but many discussions about simple tweaks and such are contained there. There are documented tweaks out at cavalliaudio.com (the designer's site), but you can find lots of "the little things" that will make your Bijou better within the thread. Sorry about that! It will be well worth it.

Perhaps it might be good to start at cavalliaudio and read through the design docs and tweaks. That would speak directly to your electrical background. Once you get an understanding of the circuit, you can dig into the build thread and see where those things get discussed.

One last thing: use the search features here. You can even search within threads which might be a way to link the cavalliaudio site to the build thread.

Good luck and welcome to Head Fi!

Jan 19, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #5 of 6
the kit is fine. I just for piece of mind, i would probably buy some nice bypass caps (i have obbligatos).

Socket R2 so you can roll tubes more easily.

Jan 19, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhjazz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi paara,

Yes, there are some components you might want to change, but the original kit is a great place to start. Lots of diy projects here are like that as well.

The build thread is long, but many discussions about simple tweaks and such are contained there. There are documented tweaks out at cavalliaudio.com (the designer's site), but you can find lots of "the little things" that will make your Bijou better within the thread. Sorry about that! It will be well worth it.

Perhaps it might be good to start at cavalliaudio and read through the design docs and tweaks. That would speak directly to your electrical background. Once you get an understanding of the circuit, you can dig into the build thread and see where those things get discussed.

One last thing: use the search features here. You can even search within threads which might be a way to link the cavalliaudio site to the build thread.

Good luck and welcome to Head Fi!

Hi bhjazz,

Thank you
smily_headphones1.gif

I will look there and read through the thread one more time more thorough.

Stian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back