Please help me with my next Grado upgrade!
Jun 23, 2007 at 8:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

lisztian420

500+ Head-Fier
Hi,

So I got these Grados sr125 and sr225 cans. The 225 broke in an accident 4 months ago and I am currently using the 125. I am not very happy with it and I am considering an upgrade. Right now my choices are SR225 (again since I love the bass), SR325i, MS 2, MS pro or RS2. My question is: are the higer end Alessandros' and Grados' worth the upgrade if I chose to go ampless or maybe a T2? I listen to a lot of MP3s in 320kbps and WMA 10 Pro in 256kbps. So with compressed music and mediocre amp is it worth the money to get higher end models? or am I better off just spending the extra money on cds.

Oh yeah,.. and finally, I will be using my grados for Rock and Jazz mostly like: Modest Mouse, Kings of Leons, Strokes, Muse, Mingus, Miles, T.Monk etc. Thanx for all your help!

Jun 23, 2007 at 12:49 PM Post #2 of 11
Yes...definitely go for wood. I run a similar setup as you do and my RS1s sound sweet on my setup. Another worthy upgrade would be a DAC/amp combo like the E-MU 0404 USB. It really smoothed everything out and gave everything an extra boost.

Jun 23, 2007 at 1:48 PM Post #4 of 11
Hi Brook,

So you think it's really worth it to go for a woodie huh? In your opinion does it sound a lot better in comparison to SR 225? I am considering taking the dive and just go for one of the woodies but I remeber reading somewhere in this forum about durability issue. I like the idea of having a nice pair of cans, but knowing myself I think I might be a bit too parinoid about the durability and might not be able to enjoy myself that much. I often just throw my grados in my bag on my way to work. Since, I am planning to take them outside quite often do you think that can be an issue for me during my commute? Anyways,.. thanx for the reply and I am hoping for more opinions and suggestions.

Jun 23, 2007 at 1:49 PM Post #5 of 11
Hey, have you thought about sending the 225s back to Grado in Brooklyn? They're pretty great. Give them a ring; see if they can help you out. Sell the 125s on the eBayness, and move on up the line.

I think the resale market is totally worth trying out the Alessandro line if you have not already. See if you like it. MS-2i should be a great place to start.

I'm afraid that the MS-Pro or RS-2 (and maybe even the MS-2i) will start to reveal the flaws in your source.

Regarding amplification, thankfully any DAP or headphone out will be able to drive any of those phones, but getting a proper kit all the way around would really make the phones shine. If you do want to get nicer phones, consider it an investment into the rest of your rig -- just upgrade the rest later.

I agree with many that the most economical upgrade path is 'phones > source > amp > cables.

P.S. I am a lover of All Things Mingus-Miles-Monk! Add some Herbie in there and you've got many of my favorite bases covered.

The Grado sound sounds great with the small club feel, really up front.

Cheers!

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisztian420 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

So I got these Grados sr125 and sr225 cans. The 225 broke in an accident 4 months ago and I am currently using the 125. I am not very happy with it and I am considering an upgrade. Right now my choices are SR225 (again since I love the bass), SR325i, MS 2, MS pro or RS2. My question is: are the higer end Alessandros' and Grados' worth the upgrade if I chose to go ampless or maybe a T2? I listen to a lot of MP3s in 320kbps and WMA 10 Pro in 256kbps. So with compressed music and mediocre amp is it worth the money to get higher end models? or am I better off just spending the extra money on cds.

Oh yeah,.. and finally, I will be using my grados for Rock and Jazz mostly like: Modest Mouse, Kings of Leons, Strokes, Muse, Mingus, Miles, T.Monk etc. Thanx for all your help!

Jun 23, 2007 at 1:52 PM Post #6 of 11
You could get a nice hard case for the RS-2s like the aluminum one from Lowes unless you want to listen while commuting. In that case, I would leave the RS-2s either at home or work and get some nice IEMs or SR-60s for the commute, depending on noise conditions.

Jun 23, 2007 at 1:55 PM Post #7 of 11
Get the Sr325i...only because I have them...lol...Havent tried a higher end model but I got the SR325i cause they were in my price point.

Jun 23, 2007 at 2:00 PM Post #8 of 11
Send your 225's to be headphiled. That would work. $200 or so and you have some new cans that should even sound better than before too.

Jun 23, 2007 at 2:04 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by headphonejunkie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Send your 225's to be headphiled. That would work. $200 or so and you have some new cans that should even sound better than before too.

Now that's a good idea. Also see what Ken at Audio Line Out can do for you.

Jun 23, 2007 at 2:24 PM Post #10 of 11
Ohhh...well if you're going to toss them around, then the woodies might not be for you. It would be a shame to scratch them. For rough and tumble, the iGrados work great. I would recommend one set for commuting and another set for home/work. At work, I have a desk I keep my HPs locked in, so durability isn't really an issue. Regarding sound difference...I was blown away by the step up from my 325is to the RS-1. I didn't think it would be that great, but I was really shocked.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisztian420 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Brook,

So you think it's really worth it to go for a woodie huh? In your opinion does it sound a lot better in comparison to SR 225? I am considering taking the dive and just go for one of the woodies but I remeber reading somewhere in this forum about durability issue. I like the idea of having a nice pair of cans, but knowing myself I think I might be a bit too parinoid about the durability and might not be able to enjoy myself that much. I often just throw my grados in my bag on my way to work. Since, I am planning to take them outside quite often do you think that can be an issue for me during my commute? Anyways,.. thanx for the reply and I am hoping for more opinions and suggestions.

Jun 23, 2007 at 2:50 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrookR1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ohhh...well if you're going to toss them around, then the woodies might not be for you. It would be a shame to scratch them. For rough and tumble, the iGrados work great. I would recommend one set for commuting and another set for home/work. At work, I have a desk I keep my HPs locked in, so durability isn't really an issue. Regarding sound difference...I was blown away by the step up from my 325is to the RS-1. I didn't think it would be that great, but I was really shocked.

I think it's probably worth emphasizing again that the difference is probably highly contingent upon having a well resolving source and amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back