Please help me upgrade from a pair of CX400s!
Mar 25, 2011 at 7:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

qpop

New Head-Fier
Hi guys

Spent the last while reading up on here, and on the av forums, trying to work out what IEM's to upgrade to.

Been rocking Sennheiser CX400s for the last 2 years or so - Bought for £50, loved them, felt like a real upgrade from the PX100's I owned previously.

Previous headphones: CX400 <- PX100 <- CX300 <- MX500 <- crappy bundled headphones
Current Equipment: HTC Desire Z, Cowon iAudio S9 (gathering dust at the moment but some new headphones might re-ignite my love for it!)

Budget £100 ABSOLUTE MAX - ideally less.

So, the situation is: My poor old Sennheiser CX400s have been through the washing machine 3x now, and are starting to come apart... I appreciate that they're not particularly audiophile-esque but they've served me well. As you can see from the list above I pretty much have only owned Sennheisers.

The kind of music I listen to:
These are an example of some of the albums on my phone, a typical example of music I listen to:
Justice - Cross
Nitin Sawhney - All Mixed Up
Braintax - Biro Funk
Biffy Clyro - Blackened Sky
Elbow - Build a Rocket Boys
Plan B - Defamation of Strickland Banks/Who needs actions when you have words
Nine Inch Nails - Downward Spiral/With Teeth
Chase and Status - No More Idols/More than A Lot
Cinematic Orchestra - Ma Fleur
At the Drive In - Relationship of Command
Atmosphere - God Loves Ugly
A Perfect Circle - Mer De Noms
Yo-Yo-Ma - Bach Cello Suites

As you can see, fairly eclectic. I would describe myself as a "bass-appreciator" rather than a bass-head! But bass is important to me...

So far I've been looking around and have thought about...

"portable headphones" - decided against due to size/looking a bit silly! - also I like to run/weightlift, and IEMs have always served me better in this.

Etymotic xx - no bass/aneimic bass/accurate bass - none of these terms appeal.
Klipsch S4 - sounds quite exciting, but not much of an upgrade from CX400s? - put off by the idea of sibilance
Westone 1 - Top end of price range but apparently worth a look
Shure SE215 - from the first impressions thread these sound like they might be perfect, but priced prohibitively at £99!!! (especially when you can pick them up for $80 stateside :frowning2: )

So guys, for someone who really *does* appreciate hiphop, but also has an ear for a lot of other music, please recommend me a decent upgrade for the poor old abused CX400s I've been lugging around. :)

Mar 26, 2011 at 8:20 AM Post #3 of 7
I've not heard of those, a quick google doesn't give me many sources to purchase from (I'm in the UK) - any breakdown of what they're like at all?

Any more ideas / help ? :)

Mar 26, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #4 of 7
It seems that whilst the Shure SE215 are just coming into stores in the UK, at £100, they're also selling Shure SE315s at £140 - which I could stretch to if I thought it would be worth it!

The bass is important to me, I like the look of Shure's, are they worth while? Or would I be better served by, say, Monster Turbines or similar?

Mar 26, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #5 of 7
The SE215 is a very nice IEM, it has not quite as much bass as the Monster Turbines but it still has a lot of bass and more importantly it has better quality bass. Beyong bass though is has a better midrange, better treble, better sound stage, better detail, better build design and quality, better cables, better comfort etc.It is well worth the price.

I would take the SE215 it over the SE315 myself as dynamic IEM's are better at bass than BA based IEM's.

Mar 26, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #7 of 7
They'll be fine for delivery, nice and quick even with the free delivery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back