Please help me expand my jazz collection.
Apr 28, 2014 at 12:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ptravel

100+ Head-Fier
I've loved jazz all my life, but always listened on the radio and didn't pay particular attention to artists or albums.  Now, I'd like to expand my CD collection, so I'd like some suggestions.

My personal tastes (not a dig at anyone or any style -- just what I prefer):

I like the "cerebral" jazz of the 50s and 60s, as well as mellower sounds.  The artists I like include (in no particular order) Sadao Watanabe, Miles Davis, Coltrane, Brubeck, Benny Green and Michel Petrucciani.

I do NOT like swing, big band and the "white" jazz of the 40s -- the black musicians of that era were wonderful, however.

I do NOT care for fusion, new age, or spacey non-chromatic music.

I REALLY do NOT like hip hop or any of the other modern variants on rap.

I'd appreciate suggestions for artists and albums to explore.

Thanks!

Apr 29, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #2 of 4
I suggest to just look at existing Jazz threads e.g. this one :
http://www.head-fi.org/t/693212/on-a-mission-to-like-jazz
tons of good advice there.
Some of my own favorites ( I pretty much also don't like/care for what you don't like ...) :
Keith Jarrett, Charles Lloyd, Art Blakey

Apr 29, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #3 of 4
  I've loved jazz all my life, but always listened on the radio and didn't pay particular attention to artists or albums.  Now, I'd like to expand my CD collection, so I'd like some suggestions.

My personal tastes (not a dig at anyone or any style -- just what I prefer):

I like the "cerebral" jazz of the 50s and 60s, as well as mellower sounds.  The artists I like include (in no particular order) Sadao Watanabe, Miles Davis, Coltrane, Brubeck, Benny Green and Michel Petrucciani.

I do NOT like swing, big band and the "white" jazz of the 40s -- the black musicians of that era were wonderful, however.

I do NOT care for fusion, new age, or spacey non-chromatic music.

I REALLY do NOT like hip hop or any of the other modern variants on rap.

I'd appreciate suggestions for artists and albums to explore.

Thanks!

Right off the bat I would recommend almost anything by trumpet player Dave Douglas. You might also like Lennie Tristano and Lee Konitz.

And here are few more suggestions:

Marilyn Crispell - Particularly her more recent work, i.e. last ten years or so, on ECM
Paul Motian
Mal Waldron

Users who are viewing this thread

Back