Please help me choose my next IEM (step up from SE425)
Feb 27, 2014 at 11:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

BaTou069

500+ Head-Fier
Hello fellow Head-Fiers

I'm searching for a new IEM as the title sais. 
Why:
I had 2 IEMs, Shure SE425 (2years) and SE215 (1week). Both sound nozzles broke. So what I'm left with now is the left 425 and the right 215 :)
My first thought was the 846, since it has interchangeable metal sound nozzles, so they won't break. And if they break, I can change them.

But this is not reason enough the spend $1k on an IEM. At this price range I think, I should do more research about other competing IEMs.
I'm not interested in an CIEM, but something I can get here locally, so I can pay in payments and not the whole sum at once. 

I really liked the sound of the SE425, it was my first "good" headphone. Today I got some more over-ear headphones and would like get go one or more steps up from the 425. 
Generally spoken, I liked the mids of the 425, but it lacked in many other aspects as soundstage, (micro)details, bass quality and quantity.

The 846 looks exactly like what I need, just asking myself if it's not too much of a step up. Looking at the DUNU DN-1000, much cheaper and it get's a lot of love here. Certainly no compare to Shures 846, but all I mean is: What is out there that suits my needs, and is still a step up from the SE425.

I'd like a IEM that I can simply plug to my Android smartphone and still playing nice, but when hooked to some DAC and AMP will improve.
Something with interchangeable cables, and of course a bit more stable than these little Shure plastic sound nozzles.

I listen to a wide range of music, and like to discover music. So please don't limit it to music genres.

Thanks in advance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back