Please help me choose a set I can use for EVERYTHING!
Dec 11, 2002 at 9:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

dabblerblue

100+ Head-Fier
Hi! I'm a sound engineering student (actually I'm not sure what you'd really call it), and I'm looking to pick up a new pair of headphones for the new year.

I'm gonna be using these during my classes, but also on my computer, home stereo, when i do my radio show, possibly for djing, and for limited portable cd player and minidisc use.

I've basically narrowed down my choices to the Grado SR-80's or the Beyerdynamic DT250-80.

I basically need a push either way, but any other suggestions would be welcome
biggrin.gif

-- phil.

**edit: Please keep in mind that I'm a student, so these things can't end up being very expensive
redface.gif

Dec 11, 2002 at 10:56 AM Post #3 of 16
Hurrah for Beyerdynamic \o/

Ok, seriously - the Beyers have quite a flat frequency response which IMHO is important for mixing etc, plus the isolation will be NEEDED if you DJ with them, you won't get any isolation at all from the Grados.

In terms of sound, the Beyer isn't as forward or energetic sounding as the Grado, but it's definately a very enjoyable and forgiving sound
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 11, 2002 at 11:29 AM Post #4 of 16
Also, listen to this...

"That said, a lot of pro audio folks use our amps, so we do have a couple of headphone recommendations. If you’re a location sound guy and want to get something that sounds much better than those old Sony MDR-V6s, have a look at the Beyer DT250-80's."

(from Headphone.com)

If you are on a budget and are looking for the inexpensive studio / dj / recording / etc. phone, why not get a set of Sony MDR-V6 (not V600)? It would save you a buck or two. :-D

Or if you want something classier/better/comfier, get the DT250-80's!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 11, 2002 at 4:13 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by dabblerblue
Hi! I'm a sound engineering student (actually I'm not sure what you'd really call it), and I'm looking to pick up a new pair of headphones for the new year.

I'm gonna be using these during my classes, but also on my computer, home stereo, when i do my radio show, possibly for djing, and for limited portable cd player and minidisc use.

I've basically narrowed down my choices to the Grado SR-80's or the Beyerdynamic DT250-80.

An all-round phone? You've chosen polar opposites so they are your potential candicates you've left us a verywide gap to recommend in!
The Beyers to me just sound too relaxed. It's also not that well sealed for a sealed phone. It does sound very good in a mild way, a sort of 'pipe and slippers' phone
biggrin.gif

The SR80 to me is one of the most overblown phones around. Don't flame me, I know many people including reviewers love these but I don't get it. It's quite harsh, doesn't work that well with many sources, it's also open.
And of course where would I be if I didn't recommend an Audio-Technica? The ATH-A900 is highly recommended and world work far better than the two you've settled on but it is more expensive than any of your choices in the US.

On the whole though, I would say save your pennies and go for the MDR-7506 / V6. It's beter closed than the Beyer, less harsh than the SR80, more efficient than either (meaning you have more options for what you use it with), and it folds which is believe me a very useful attribute for a student. One demerit is the 'closed off' soundstage but in reality it's not that noticeable, it certainly doesn't stop thenm from doing what they do very well. If you don't like the comfort you can always swap for the beyer pads, although this reduces the sealing.

Dec 11, 2002 at 5:02 PM Post #9 of 16
I'd recommend circumaular (e.g. DT2580 or MDR-7506) just because they are less dependent on their positioning on your head.

With supra-aural headphones the sound will vary depending on how you wear them. Circumaural headphones have much less of this problem.

If you're need is sound engineering based and everything else comes after that, I think you need circumaural headphones with some isolation, flat response and comfortable during long hours. The beyers and sony's in question should fill the first two requirements, but comfort is even more personal.

Best of luck with your choice and delete all links to this forum after your purchase, if you don't want to end up as a pennyless headphone-a-holic
smily_headphones1.gif

regards,
Halcyon

Dec 11, 2002 at 11:02 PM Post #10 of 16
Nice, thanks a lot everyone who replied.

I was thinking about getting a set Sony v-6, but every pair of head-and-earphones I've bought have been Sony, so I've had my heart set on getting something else this time around.

So definately it looks like the Grados are out of the running, however those Audio Technicas look pretty sweet.

I'm hoping I won't have to use some sort of dedicated headphone amp for these if I end up getting them...for reason of portability and all that.

Not that I'd be wandering around downtown with them on...you get my meaning?

-- phil.

Dec 12, 2002 at 12:03 AM Post #13 of 16
don't explode your head, dabblerblue. the SR80s are just out of the question. It has a good sound, but no one would ever use them for DJing, sound engineering, or the like.
Still keep on considering the Beyers. They are meant and built to be monitor headphones, not audiophile headphones, and it is very all-around in that regard. They are also very unintrusive and non-fatiguing, so you can use them while multitasking, too.
biggrin.gif

Dec 12, 2002 at 12:22 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman
The Beyers to me just sound too relaxed. It's also not that well sealed for a sealed phone.

The MDR-V6 and DT250-80 are almost identical in terms of isolation; the V6 isolate just a *tad* more, mainly because the cheap pleather/vinyl earpads stick to your skin when you sweat
wink.gif
And if you're smart and you get the Beyer pads for the V6 -- which makes them MUCH more comfortable -- then the isolation is the same.

Overall, I think these two headphones -- the V6 and DT250-80 -- are where you should look. The V6 are more analytical (a bit too much, sometimes, IMO -- they can be a bit harsh), whereas the DT250 are a bit warmer, a bit less harsh (but some people find them to be a bit "polite"). They both have excellent bass -- the V6 has a bit better extension, but because of their recessed midrange, some people find the bass to be emphasized. The treble is better, IMO, on the DT250; treble on the V6 can get quite harsh at times. Midrange and soundstage are definitely better on the Beyers.

Overall, if you like more analytical sound the V6 are the way to go. If you prefer a more "musical" and warm presentation, the Beyers are your best bet.

Also, the V6 fold up, whereas the Beyers don't.

The two really aren't that far apart in terms of price if you spring for the (mandatory, IMO) pad upgrade for the V6: About $150 for the Beyer, about $110 for the V6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back