Please Help - Fake 880 Pro (600 Ω) ?
Feb 23, 2014 at 9:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

MrTechAgent

Member of the Trade: Kaldas Research
So I am very close on pulling the trigger on this 880 , I live in India and this guy is selling the PRO-600 which is rare I guess ?
The headband seems unusual , he is sending more pictures tomorrow and ironically is shipping to me tomorrow , haven't spend any money yet , will once I get it .....So what should I check for when I get it since its rare there isn't much info about it ?
Thanks 

Feb 23, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #3 of 17
Wait for his detailed pics to better evaluate authenticity.
If that is $282 in US$ I think its a bit steep.  You can find new ones for less than that on ebay for example.

The 250 ohm model is even less.  Heres an amazon seller letting them go for $189
http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-DT-880-Pro-Headphones-250/dp/B001B1QENY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393176606&sr=8-1&keywords=DT880

It seems the www sellers are cashing on on the marketing pitch that the 600 ohm model is the "premium" version.  Common consensus here on HF seems to be that theres no sonic difference. Unless you specifically have a need for a 600 ohm load, I'd go with the 32 or 250 ohm model.  Those in theory are going to be easier to drive.  Although all 3 versions are pretty efficient/sensitive, so I think theres some mis-conception about that last point.

I think theres also been a few design changes over the years.  Note the headband differences:
I've always liked the Beyer snap-on headband cushion.  Its comfortable, simple and easily replaced.

Feb 23, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #4 of 17
Wait for his detailed pics to better evaluate authenticity.
If that is $282 in US$ I think its a bit steep.  You can find new ones for less than that on ebay for example.

The 250 ohm model is even less.  Heres an amazon seller letting them go for $189
http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-DT-880-Pro-Headphones-250/dp/B001B1QENY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393176606&sr=8-1&keywords=DT880

It seems the www sellers are cashing on on the marketing pitch that the 600 ohm model is the "premium" version.  Common consensus here on HF seems to be that theres no sonic difference. Unless you specifically have a need for a 600 ohm load, I'd go with the 32 or 250 ohm model.  Those in theory are going to be easier to drive.  Although all 3 versions are pretty efficient/sensitive, so I think theres some mis-conception about that last point.

I think theres also been a few design changes over the years.  Note the headband differences:
I've always liked the Beyer snap-on headband cushion.  Its comfortable, simple and easily replaced.

Thanks , I have a 770 - 250 , I just want to get it to finish my classic trio collection , 650-880-701(Don't have it)
I am probably getting a Soloist SL soon so getting 600ohms might be wise
I'll see once I receive it , thanks again !

Feb 25, 2014 at 7:53 AM Post #5 of 17

So I received some more pictures 

This guy is badass , he has a 800 , t1 and also the 650s , he also is a sound engineer , so he didn't have any use for it , I think its legit ...the paint is gone but the pro models are bound to go through that 
As far as the price is concerned I don't think I'll ever get such a chance at least in India where its unusual to find a 880-600 , also its kinda a collectible considering its the pro-600 , I think they circulated some PRO-600s across Asia and minuscule units were sent elsewhere , either way I am happy that I am half-way through my legendary trio collection , now time to find some AKGs :D
Have a good one man ! 

Feb 25, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #6 of 17
Just to clarify, there's no such thing as the 880' PRO's - 600 OHM

They come in 4 variants:

Premium (32, 250, 600 ohms) <----- get this, preferably at 600 ohms IF you have a powerful enough amp to drive it.

Pro (250 ohms) <---- don't get this. not as good, despite the "pro" designation

Honestly, over-ear headphones are hard to fake. I've seen some pretty bad knock-offs of the HD595 and M50, but I've yet to see a beyerdynamic knock-off. If he as a T1 and is a sound-engineer, I'd go for it. In the states a new DT880-600 ranges from $250-340 depending on whether or not it's on sale.

Feb 25, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #7 of 17
  So I received some more pictures 

This guy is badass , he has a 800 , t1 and also the 650s , he also is a sound engineer , so he didn't have any use for it , I think its legit ...the paint is gone but the pro models are bound to go through that 
As far as the price is concerned I don't think I'll ever get such a chance at least in India where its unusual to find a 880-600 , also its kinda a collectible considering its the pro-600 , I think they circulated some PRO-600s across Asia and minuscule units were sent elsewhere , either way I am happy that I am half-way through my legendary trio collection , now time to find some AKGs :D
Have a good one man ! 

I own the DT880 Pro 250-Ohm and DT880 Premium 600-Ohm.
I do think the 600-Ohm sounds slightly better then the 250-Ohm, but only very very slightly better.
I can see Beyer making Pro 600-Ohm for special orders, so I'm not too worried about the headphones being fake.
Or this Beyer Pro 600-Ohm was manufactured before the current Premium version was sold on the market.
You can always email Beyers and see what they have to say. 
I bought my 600-Ohm used and got a good price and I do think they sound a little better then the Pro 250-Ohm.
But I would not pay $280 for used or new DT880 600-Ohm (Premium or Pro) headphones (unless I was a Multi-millionaire, with lots of spare cash).
I think the guy is asking too much for what I would assume are very used headphones (well broken in headphones?).
Plus the ear pads might be worn out, it's $35 for new EDT 990 V (Velour) ear pads for the DT880s, and I'm sure they cost more in your country.
You can get new generic Velour ear for the DT880, off eBay, for $16, but i'm guessing they might not be as good quality as those sold from Beyerdynamics.
So I say pass on this, maybe good find a good price on some used AKG 7XX series headphones.
Check out the AKG K612 Pro (120-Ohm) headphones.

Feb 25, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #8 of 17
I own the DT880 Pro 250-Ohm and DT880 Premium 600-Ohm.
I do think the 600-Ohm sounds slightly better then the 250-Ohm, but only very very slightly better.
I can see Beyer making Pro 600-Ohm for special orders, so I'm not too worried about the headphones being fake.
Or this Beyer Pro 600-Ohm was manufactured before the current Premium version was sold on the market.
You can always email Beyers and see what they have to say. 
I bought my 600-Ohm used and got a good price and I do think they sound a little better then the Pro 250-Ohm.
But I would not pay $280 for used or new DT880 600-Ohm (Premium or Pro) headphones (unless I was a Multi-millionaire, with lots of spare cash).
I think the guy is asking too much for what I would assume are very used headphones (well broken in headphones?).
Plus the ear pads might be worn out, it's $35 for new EDT 990 V (Velour) ear pads for the DT880s, and I'm sure they cost more in your country.
You can get new generic Velour ear for the DT880, off eBay, for $16, but i'm guessing they might not be as good quality as those sold from Beyerdynamics.
So I say pass on this, maybe good find a good price on some used AKG 7XX series headphones.
Check out the AKG K612 Pro (120-Ohm) headphones.

I did contact one of Beyer India's reps , he was very confused when I asked him pro-600 , it's just easy to assume that Beyer sent pro-600 units to some countries to some authorized resellers where they don't officially (Not literally) sell their products
The guy selling paid 500 for them at the time form a seller in India , also our Economy state is terrible so after shipping and customs it's uphill from there , I can cancel once I receive it

Feb 25, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #9 of 17
And you might be right about it being a earlier production model since the headband reflects that , I have a new 770-250 which came in the COP revised packaging and the headband is almost perfect pleather compared to the 880 headband in the pictures which looks to have a material Senn and Sony use with some if their headphones so could be a early unit but most definitely is 600ohms

Feb 25, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #10 of 17
Just to clarify, there's no such thing as the 880' PRO's - 600 OHM

They come in 4 variants:

Premium (32, 250, 600 ohms) <----- get this, preferably at 600 ohms IF you have a powerful enough amp to drive it.

Pro (250 ohms) <---- don't get this. not as good, despite the "pro" designation

Honestly, over-ear headphones are hard to fake. I've seen some pretty bad knock-offs of the HD595 and M50, but I've yet to see a beyerdynamic knock-off. If he as a T1 and is a sound-engineer, I'd go for it. In the states a new DT880-600 ranges from $250-340 depending on whether or not it's on sale.

Hmm ?
These are pro-600s , check the picture in the first post :)

Feb 25, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #11 of 17
And you might be right about it being a earlier production model since the headband reflects that , I have a new 770-250 which came in the COP revised packaging and the headband is almost perfect pleather compared to the 880 headband in the pictures which looks to have a material Senn and Sony use with some if their headphones so could be a early unit but most definitely is 600-Ohms

I know Beyer-dynamics makes models (versions) that they do not advertise on their web page.
I'm sure they want their retail customers to by the "Premium" models,
but maybe they will sell a music studio a bulk discount with a "OEM" 10 pack of Pro 600-Ohms headphones.
Better to make sale then let their competitors get the business. 

Feb 26, 2014 at 1:37 AM Post #12 of 17
  I know Beyer-dynamics makes models (versions) that they do not advertise on their web page.
I'm sure they want their retail customers to by the "Premium" models,
but maybe they will sell a music studio a bulk discount with a "OEM" 10 pack of Pro 600-Ohms headphones.
Better to make sale then let their competitors get the business. 

Yeah 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back