PlayStation-Fi
Nov 29, 2007 at 9:20 PM Post #31 of 259
Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does the PS3 play PS2 and PS1 games effectively, or even better? Does it use software emulation or is there a PS2 chip on there somewhere? It would be great to be able to play PS2 games with more horsepower, because some of them slow down no matter what you do.

Right now I have to keep my PS1 plugged in because the PS2 (2 of them so far) won't play FFT music without artifacting.

NTSC PlayStation 3 60GB (Hardware) = Plays all PS1 and PS2 games.
PAL PlayStation 3 60GB (Software) = Plays 98% of all PS1 and PS2 games.
PlayStation 3 20GB (Hardware) = Plays all PS1 and PS2 games.
PlayStation 3 80GB (Software) = Plays 98% of all PS1 and PS2 games.
PlayStation 3 40GB (Software) = Plays only PS1 games.

Nov 30, 2007 at 5:55 PM Post #33 of 259
Quote:

Assuming I was going to choose a PS3 model, do you think software or hardware emulation would be better?

It depends how much you play PlayStation 1 or 2 games. If you are a heavy user then the hardware is more suitable for you. If you are a light user, then the software is more suitable because it's more efficient, less energy consumption, and more reliable than the old hardware-based PS3.

Nov 30, 2007 at 7:40 PM Post #34 of 259
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Fi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
NTSC PlayStation 3 60GB (Hardware) = Plays all PS1 and PS2 games.
PAL PlayStation 3 60GB (Software) = Plays 98% of all PS1 and PS2 games.

There we go, I fixed that for you. NTSC has the chip, as does the old 20 GB.

Dec 2, 2007 at 2:49 AM Post #35 of 259
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There we go, I fixed that for you. NTSC has the chip, as does the old 20 GB.

Thanks!
biggrin.gif

Dec 2, 2007 at 4:46 PM Post #36 of 259
Quote:

Assuming I was going to choose a PS3 model, do you think software or hardware emulation would be better?

If you wan to play PS2 games, hardware, without a doubt. Sony isn't "focusing" on the software emulation, so compatibility is relatively poor.

Dec 2, 2007 at 11:25 PM Post #38 of 259
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not gonna get PS3 until it's much cheaper and I can easily, uh... "backup" my original games to play with it.

I'm with you there, pal. I had a V9 PS2 with a laser that stopped reading DVD's after about a year and a half, and Sony told me to [paraphrasing here] go screw myself when I called to ask about the replacement program; I swore, I screamed, I cried, and then I discovered HDLoader.

Problem solved.
biggrin.gif

Jan 13, 2008 at 4:47 PM Post #39 of 259
I use mines mostly as my CD player source as well as ripping songs into the HDD in ATRAC 352 kbps. It's the best sounding CD player I have in my house, until I can find a better source.

Jan 13, 2008 at 5:09 PM Post #40 of 259
Quote:

does the PS3 play PS2 and PS1 games effectively, or even better? Does it use software emulation or is there a PS2 chip on there somewhere? It would be great to be able to play PS2 games with more horsepower, because some of them slow down no matter what you do.

Right now I have to keep my PS1 plugged in because the PS2 (2 of them so far) won't play FFT music without artifacting.

I sold my Ps2 when I got my Ps3 (20gb w/ EE) -- The trade-off however is that using a 1080p LCD ps2 games look like crap because they were made for 480p, there's no way to add back that quality even with the "software" enhancements. FFXII and GOW2 are probably some of the best looking "later gen" games that still look like poo IMO - They are still playable though.

I've found that using an s-video cable to a regular TV will still work fine however, it's a PITA to switch the output settings every time I want to fire up an older game though.

Jan 13, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #41 of 259
I've still got one of the compact model PS1's, the only reason being that I'll get absolutely nothing for it in trade-in.

Jan 13, 2008 at 7:55 PM Post #43 of 259
Quote:

Originally Posted by GAD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I mocked my friends with a PS3 until I got one. Holy cow what a device. I'm constantly impressed by this thing.

GAD

Heh, my friends do that because they all got 360s.

They're all like you should of got a 360; what good games are on the PS3?

Well, just look at the 2008 line-up of games, then we'll talk.
tongue.gif

Besides, I like the fact that PSN is free instead of paying monthly for XBL.

Jan 13, 2008 at 11:17 PM Post #44 of 259
I use my PS3 for gaming maybe 20% of the time it's on. I use it for everything else. It's a damn good media server, blu ray player (though limited in lossless), etc.

My only real beef with it is the bluetooth remote. It's a super cool idea, but there are no universals I know that will work with it.

Having a $400 (retail) remote that won't work with one of my primary devices makes me cranky.

GAD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back