Playing DSD with PC (Nightmare)
Apr 14, 2020 at 8:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

qualityfreak

New Head-Fier
So I've gotten my DX7 Pro DAC/Amp but it's rather rocket science to get my PC to play DSD music and have it send DSD to my DAC without converting it to PCM. The DX7 Pro doesn't come with a CD and has no drivers on the official site, but it installs automatically after it's USB connected. Barely anyone made a video of programs that play DSD on PC but talk so big about DSD. A popular one is the free Foobar but it's hellishly difficult to set up its DSD components and have it communicate with my DAC without any annoying error pop ups (all the tutorials were of previous versions). I tried JRiver but it secretly converts DSD to FLAC and acts like it's playing DSD. Other times it just sends a silent 702 kHz PCM. It's insultingly easy to play DSD off of my Samsung phone. Why does it have to be so fricking hard to enjoy DSD via PC? Even websites that sell DSD did crappy brief tutorials. Someone here should build a DSD PC app and swim in cash, but for now, how do you play DSD on your PC? :tired_face:

Apr 14, 2020 at 10:24 PM Post #2 of 26
Last edited:
Apr 15, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #10 of 26
Follow guides again with understanding or invest in payware.

Without additional 'tweaks' output from Foobar goes through the Direct Sound Windows mixer. Windows DS do not support native DSD nor will play as DoP, as DoP requires bit-perfect data path. DS is not. A sound played from PCM files is not a good quality as it should.

As Foobar do not complain for the unknown source, I guess you did install SACD component already, but you should tell us. For a bit-perfect path required for DSD you need to install Foobar component called WASAPI. Configure WASAPI Exclusive mode according to the guidelines both in Foobar and Windows Sound Panel. Then close Foobar and restart again and select the output DSD:WASAPI (event):[your_devicedriver_name].

This is a basic configuration that will output DSD encapsulated in PCM frames (DoP). The 'previous' (as you say) guides do apply 100%. Very easy to do in 5 minutes. If you want to play a native DSD, you need some tweaks.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2020 at 3:19 PM Post #11 of 26
Follow guides again with understanding or invest in payware.

Without additional 'tweaks' output from Foobar goes through the Direct Sound Windows mixer. Windows DS do not support native DSD nor will play as DoP, as DoP requires bit-perfect data path. DS is not. A sound played from PCM files is not a good quality as it should.

As Foobar do not complain for the unknown source, I guess you did install SACD component already, but you should tell us. For a bit-perfect path required for DSD you need to install Foobar component called WASAPI. Configure WASAPI Exclusive mode according to the guidelines both in Foobar and Windows Sound Panel. Then close Foobar and restart again and select the output DSD:WASAPI (event):[your_devicedriver_name].

This is a basic configuration that will output DSD encapsulated in PCM frames (DoP). The 'previous' (as you say) guides do apply 100%. Very easy to do in 5 minutes. If you want to play a native DSD, you need some tweaks.
I installed WASAPI, changed the Output to "DSD: WASAPI (Event): Speakers (TOPPING USB DAC)," exclusive mode, enabled DoP and it just gives me an empty noise at 705.6 kHz PCM.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2020 at 5:12 PM Post #12 of 26
I installed WASAPI, changed the Output to "DSD: WASAPI (Event): Speakers (TOPPING USB DAC)," exclusive mode, enabled DoP and it just gives me an empty noise at 705.6 kHz PCM.
Post sreenshot of Foobar Preferences:
Playback -> DSP Manager
Playback -> Output
Tools -> DSD processor (if present)
Tools -> SACD

Your Windows configuration for a Topping driver should look like this:
exclusive_mode.png

On the Levels tab set volume 100% and balance 100%.
If there is "Supported Formats" tab post a screenshot.
Post screenshot of the Enhancements tab.

I wonder, how did you enable DoP? It is the only possible DSD transfer for the WASAPI. Default in a Foobar. Do you have any DSD proxy in Windows installed? Uninstall.

You didn't say, what is your source file? DSD64 or SACD image? DSD64 do not produce 705.6kHz output. You must have some conversion active inside Foobar, it is why I am asking for this information.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #13 of 26
Post sreenshot of Foobar Preferences:
Playback -> DSP Manager
Playback -> Output
Tools -> DSD processor (if present)
Tools -> SACD

Your Windows configuration for a Topping driver should look like this:
exclusive_mode.png
On the Levels tab set volume 100% and balance 100%.
If there is "Supported Formats" tab post a screenshot.
Post screenshot of the Enhancements tab.

I wonder, how did you enable DoP? It is the only possible DSD transfer for the WASAPI. Default in a Foobar. Do you have any DSD proxy in Windows installed? Uninstall.

You didn't say, what is your source file? DSD64 or SACD image? DSD64 do not produce 705.6kHz output. You must have some conversion active inside Foobar, it is why I am asking for this information.
Screenshot.jpg

I ticked both of those boxes in the speaker properties. Foobar has exclusive control.

Apr 18, 2020 at 7:33 PM Post #14 of 26
@qualityfreak. Everything is right except the output format 32-bit. DoP format is always 24-bit. My Amanero Combo384 behaves properly and ignores redundant bits, but I don't know about XMOS. A noise indicate that it doesn't. So please change on the Playback -> Output page the Output Format settings to 24-bits and report whether is working.

Oh, almost forgotten. If still doesn't work, check position of the foo_input_sacd component on the Playback -> Decoding page. It should be on the top. If not, drag the item to the top of the list, press OK and restart Foobar.

I noticed that I am still using SACD component v1.1.0. The latest one is v1.2.2. I will install and come back in a case it breaks things.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2020 at 8:44 PM Post #15 of 26
@qualityfreak. Everything is right except the output format 32-bit. DoP format is always 24-bit. My Amanero Combo384 behaves properly and ignores redundant bits, but I don't know about XMOS. A noise indicate that it doesn't. So please change on the Playback -> Output page the Output Format settings to 24-bits and report whether is working.

Oh, almost forgotten. If still doesn't work, check position of the foo_input_sacd component on the Playback -> Decoding page. It should be on the top. If not, drag the item to the top of the list, press OK and restart Foobar.

I noticed that I am still using SACD component v1.1.0. The latest one is v1.2.2. I will install and come back in a case it breaks things.
Yeah no sound and my DAC is showing a 705.6 kHz PCM. SACD is at the top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back