Playaz N1
Mar 26, 2010 at 11:17 PM Post #106 of 506
Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I think we are on the same page, n3 sounds relaxed and non fatiquing, but Sonia II sounds spectacular (I believe you meant terriffic, not terrible). xm1 is a bit too bassy/muddy but still impressive for such a tiny IEM. All of them are very good value for the price.

BTW which DAP do you have and do you use EQ? I'm asking because almost all Playaz/Xears phones (except xm2) have too much bass for my taste.

Im using a zune hd, laptop with integrated realtek hd soundcard, and s:flo2.
In my opinion i love Sonia II the best. It is small but punches you in the face

Apr 2, 2010 at 9:07 AM Post #107 of 506
Got the new Playaz Audiophile Reference AR100 for €25 last week. First impressions, they look and sound very similar to the Sonia II (which is a good thing IMO), but the highs are smoother out of the box (which is an even better thing, as the Sonias were initially somewhat harsh).

james444-albums-album1-picture5163-playaz-ar100-sonia-ii.jpg

left: Playaz Sonia II, right: Playaz AR100

Bottom line: if you want the big sound of the Sonias with even better highs and minus the cheesy looks, go for the AR100.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 2, 2010 at 12:33 PM Post #114 of 506
^ Saw your PM first, so I'll quote my answer here:

Quote:

Originally Posted by james444
Quote:

Originally Posted by Antrax
did you hear it? if so which is better in your opinion the hippo vb or the playaz n1?

Yes, I borrowed it from a friend. It's very good IMO, except that the highs were rather harsh. But the ones I borrowed had only about 40 hours on them and others have posted that the highs would smooth out over time. The Playaz N1 is only an option if you have a rockboxed DAP or a Cowon, because it really needs a high quality EQ. Then I think it sounds better than the VBs. But this comparison may not be fair, because neither have I had the VBs long enough to see whether their highs would get better, nor have I tried to EQ them.

BTW the new Playaz AR100 sound very promising to my ears and might turn out even better than the N1. But I haven't had enough listening time to feel already certain about that.

Apr 2, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #116 of 506
Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got the new Playaz Audiophile Reference AR100 for €25 last week. First impressions, they look and sound very similar to the Sonia II (which is a good thing IMO), but the highs are smoother out of the box (which is an even better thing, as the Sonias were initially somewhat harsh).

james444-albums-album1-picture5163-playaz-ar100-sonia-ii.jpg

left: Playaz Sonia II, right: Playaz AR100

Bottom line: if you want the big sound of the Sonias with even better highs and minus the cheesy looks, go for the AR100.
smily_headphones1.gif

Those look nice James. Oh boy, I gotta stop for awhile...lol. I am enjoying the Sonia more and more as they burn in. I'm still high on the N3.

Apr 2, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #117 of 506
Quote:

Originally Posted by Antrax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how would you compare the hippo vb to playaz n1 and ie8 in terms of soundstage? i mean especially soundstage width and depth.

Soundstage is very expansive on all three, but the Hippos are more open sounding than the IE8 and the Playaz are the airiest of them all. Of course only EQed, because on flat EQ the overwhelming bass of the N1 kills all airiness.

Apr 2, 2010 at 7:30 PM Post #118 of 506
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericp10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those look nice James. Oh boy, I gotta stop for awhile...lol. I am enjoying the Sonia more and more as they burn in. I'm still high on the N3.

Hi Eric, really no need for the AR100 if you already have the Sonias - their highs get much smoother with more playtime and the rest of the sound signature is very similar.

I like the N3 too, but the airiness of the open Playaz models is what attracts me the most. Together with their down-EQed, yet still authoritative bass they create a very impressive illusion of open full sized phones (or even speakers) to my ears.

Apr 4, 2010 at 7:47 AM Post #119 of 506
I have a quick question for you James. I own the Nuforce ne7 with a 160gb ipod classic and a Fiio E1. Would the AR100 be a worthwhile upgrade from the Nuforces even though the EQ is lacking on an ipod? I plan on going to the IE8s this summer, but until then I'd like to experience a decent soundstage as I never really have. The ne7 are the best iems I've ever owned, so I am not terribly picky when it comes to detail, just looking for a good deal until the summer.

Apr 4, 2010 at 11:53 AM Post #120 of 506
^ Hi Zaber123, I'm afraid I have heard so many IEMs, but not the ne7, so I can't compare. I just tried the AR100 with my 160GB Classic and they sound much too bassy on flat EQ. There's an EQ-setting called "less bass" or something like that and they sound acceptable with that, but unfortunately not nearly as good as with my Cowon or rockboxed Fuze.
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back