Playaz N1
Mar 10, 2010 at 11:21 AM Post #62 of 506
^ Cable quality is fine, strangely the white cables are slightly less microphonic than the black ones. I recommend wearing them over-ear, even though they are (sadly) j-corded.

As for travelling, keep in mind that other than the Xears and the N3, the N1 and Sonia II are very open IEMs with large vents, that's why they have such airy, vast soundstage. Sometimes I use them even for commuting on bus and subway, just because I'm addicted to their sound, but frankly speaking they are less than ideal for that.

Mar 10, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #63 of 506
james, you should write up a full review on these lines of Playaz and Xears IEMs.
biggrin.gif

Mar 10, 2010 at 6:10 PM Post #64 of 506
I have N1 and Sonia II.
They sound good, they sound pleasant, they omit details, they crackle once for a while. Although they worth the price, they are not easily available. Many other similar priced earphones sound equally good, for example;
Altec Lansing UHP606 ($20-$30) - EQ down boomy bass.
Sound Magic.

Mar 10, 2010 at 7:40 PM Post #65 of 506
Quote:

Originally Posted by david1978jp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have N1 and Sonia II.
They sound good, they sound pleasant, they omit details, they crackle once for a while. Although they worth the price, they are not easily available. Many other similar priced earphones sound equally good, for example;
Altec Lansing UHP606 ($20-$30) - EQ down boomy bass.
Sound Magic.

I beg to differ. Can't speak for the UHP606, but I have the Soundmagic PL30 and PL50 and the properly EQed Playaz surpass them with ease.

Only yesterday I was A/Bing the RE0 and RE252, a loan from dfkt. Needless to say these are two very highly regarded IEMs here. I was playing Hilary Hahn's recording of Mendelssohn's Concerto for Violin and Orchestra and it didn't take long to notice that the RE252 was the better phone between these two. Detail was good on both, but the RE0 was so obviously less refined, the highest violin notes at times almost sounding like chalk on a blackboard, whereas the RE252 retained its smoothness.

Then just for fun, I decided to switch to my favorite EQ settings and include the Sonia II. What can I say? Detail *) and highs were straight on par with the RE252, timbre/mids were even slightly more pleasant and overall presentation was noticably airier and livelier to my ears. This coming from an IEM that cost me 20 euros whereas the RE252 is $199.

*) Edit: Re-auditioned the same record again (just to be sure), and TBO the RE252 reveals a tiny bit more micro-detail than the Sonia II, but I had to go back and forth several times to confirm.

As always, I have to add that this requires a good parametric EQ like Rockbox's or Cowon's that does not degrade SQ. I also need to mention that the Sonia's highs were rather sharp out-of-the-box and only smoothened out with prolonged use. And yes, I concur the Playaz are sadly prone to crackling.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rymd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
james, you should write up a full review on these lines of Playaz and Xears IEMs.
biggrin.gif

That's exactly what I intend to do - at least on the Playaz. At the risk of more posts like david1978jp's popping up and my reputation vanishing into thin air...
tongue.gif

Mar 10, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #66 of 506
these sounds like quite the find..how did you even find out about these james?

they would be pretty interesting if not for the EQ..well I do have good EQ on all my players but I don't really like using a certain EQ for a specific phone

Mar 10, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #67 of 506
^ Found them on ebay from a German seller and curiosity got the best of me. I know it's a PITA, but EQ is mandatory. AFAIK only Rockbox and Cowon offer EQ with phase correction (correct me if I'm wrong) and I can at least vouch for these two, they don't degrade SQ.

Mar 12, 2010 at 2:44 PM Post #68 of 506
Well I couldn't resist the temptation any longer and ordered some this morning. Pleasant surprise was an email one hour later saying they had just been shipped and giving me a tracking number. Great customer service so far !! Thanks I think,
wink_face.gif
to Bigsy for bringing these to my attention and to James and EricP for convincing me to try them.

Mar 12, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #69 of 506
On my part, you're welcome @ Trapper. I don't think you will be disappointed. I have been spending quite a bit of time with the Xears. I'm finding that the Xm1 and Xm2 are my favorites. Again, these phones are so tiny to be omitting so much good sound. I listened to the Xv100 again last night and it left me a little flat. Not enough bass for me, but if you're a mids lover, it's basically a mids phone. Nice mids...okay highs...but very light on bass, and I can get a good seal although they are tiny. I would say the Xv100 is two or three grades lower than the Rain. Again, a nice earphone for the price.

Xm2 has less bass than the Xm1, but a more balanced sound than the Xv100, and more enjoyable for me.

Xm1, if you haven't guessed, is my favorite of the Xears. So much bass coming out of these tiny IEMs, but the midrange is there and nice highs. I've been listening to the un-eq-ed ipod nano for these earphones to how they naturally sound. Overall, for the price, each IEM will provide a pleasant flavor for the average IEM user looking for a great sounding bang-for-the-buck deal...

Mar 12, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #71 of 506
Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ That's why I don't put new IEMs straight into my sig rating, I'd have to update much too often.
wink.gif

SMART MAN!! LOL

Mar 13, 2010 at 7:17 AM Post #74 of 506
Sorry @ stonyboys...but Trapper gave you the right link. I've never heard the M9...

Mar 13, 2010 at 7:53 AM Post #75 of 506
Quote:

Originally Posted by stonyboys /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys, where exactly do you order these in Canada? Also, how much better are these than the M9s? Thanks for the help!

Sorry stonyboys, I don't have the M9s to compare!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back