Planning on going from my Sennheiser HD598 SE to an AKG k712 Pro
Jul 19, 2017 at 4:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Marcelo Muniz Filho

New Head-Fier
This is my first thread and I did some research but couldn't find something very specific about it, sorry if I'm doing something wrong.

Basically my doubt is: going from an HD598 to an k712 is really an uprade or a "sidegrade"? Is it worth it?

I'm quite satisfied with the 598 for music but for gaming, not really. I was honestly expecting more from it's soundstage and imaging coming from those 7.1 garbage headsets. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's bad for that purpose, but not as good as I was expecting. I've read about it in some threads and the problem with the central image is something that really bothers me, specially in games I can't really "see"/image if something is in front, behind or on top of me. It get's so messy in games like Rainbow Six Siege (and some songs too). It feels like there's a hole in the middle of the 598's soundstage. And it's image, left and right channel, isn't something impressive either to my ears. About it's musicality it sounds very good to me and despite it lacks in the low-end area (not really the best shot for my hip-hop, EDM, some rock and heavy instrumental songs) I'm quite satisfied and the separation is something that impressed me right away.

Would the k712 Pro be the best option to get a better and more precise "3D experience", at it's price range? Specially for FPS games and positional awareness overwall? Any better options? That would be basically the only improvment I'm looking for.

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #2 of 11
The Fidelio X2 should be better for you, think 598 with more bass, wider soundstage, and better build quality. I notice the same thing on R6S with my 598 but honestly that's mostly just how the sound works in that game. It's very odd. I know it's not the 598 because I can 180 degree flick to somebodies head in CSGO with no problem using my 598. I'm sure it's the in game audio being a bit inaccurate for Seige.

Jul 19, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #4 of 11
The Fidelio X2 should be better for you, think 598 with more bass, wider soundstage, and better build quality. I notice the same thing on R6S with my 598 but honestly that's mostly just how the sound works in that game. It's very odd. I know it's not the 598 because I can 180 degree flick to somebodies head in CSGO with no problem using my 598. I'm sure it's the in game audio being a bit inaccurate for Seige.

Agree with you, the way they developed the sound in Siege get's really messy sometimes, specially when it comes to vertical image. Knowing if the enemy is on top or underneath you is a pain in the a** most of the time. But the problem with the center image on the 598 is really a thing, I noticed that right on my first week with him in songs and other games, and I confirmed when I read other people talking about it, like a guy comparing the k712 with the 598, here on head-fi: " But probably the biggest difference between the K712 and HD598 was the way in which the K712 presented a cohesive sonic image that included left, center, & right (the HD598 sounded as if it had a hole in the center) and presented the music as if it were right in front of you (not away from you, as the HD598 did), with more physical tactility as well."

I considered the X2 before I bought the 598, heard they're amazing for gaming. Wonder how they compre with the k712

Jul 24, 2017 at 11:12 PM Post #6 of 11
Jul 25, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #7 of 11
HD-700's awesome soundstage and good bass and detail and imaging hard to beat.

I've seen in several places that the 712 can get really close to the 800 sometimes, wouldn't be a better (also cheaper) shot than the 700? Plus, I'm really interested to hear a different sound signature other than Senns, AKG is known for having a good soundstage.

Jul 25, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #8 of 11
I've seen in several places that the 712 can get really close to the 800 sometimes, wouldn't be a better (also cheaper) shot than the 700? Plus, I'm really interested to hear a different sound signature other than Senns, AKG is known for having a good soundstage.
As far as the 712's getting close to the 800's is a bit suspect as they are very different in tonality. The AKG's do have good soundstage it's been awhile since I've heard them though. The 700's sound totally different than the other Senns more towards the 800's but still a bit different.

Jul 26, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #9 of 11
As far as the 712's getting close to the 800's is a bit suspect as they are very different in tonality. The AKG's do have good soundstage it's been awhile since I've heard them though. The 700's sound totally different than the other Senns more towards the 800's but still a bit different.
In some direct comparisons I've seen (and read) they get close to each other when it comes to soundstage, imaging etc. Of course the 800's are always be better as they are far more expensive but the 712 gets fairly close for it's price. But I do believe they're different in tonality. What about the "veil" present in Senns headphones, it's present on the 700? I liked my 598 but it looks like he takes no risks, that's why he sounded so good as a allrounder (as an entry headphone) and balanced but at the same time he doesn't shine and gives you that "wow factor" anywhere. I want to spend money on something bolder, and ofc focused on it's 3D experience as I will mainly play games with it.

Jul 26, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #10 of 11
The only Senn with a "veil" is the HD-650 the 700's are far from it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back