Planar Headphones: Who is leading the pack?
Feb 3, 2024 at 9:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

skhan007

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm starting to research planars, with the intention of eventually buying my first set. I know some companies have updated their planar offerings in recent years (Audeze) and others have launched their first (ZMF), so there's a lot to track. I've had very brief listening experiences with a few and they were all great; LCD-4, Ether 2, and Abyss 1266.

Curious what planars you all think are top dogs in this category. Obviously price will eventually come into consideration and be a major deciding factor, but mostly I'm interested to know which ones are delivering what you are after.

Feb 3, 2024 at 10:18 AM Post #2 of 32
The Hifiman Arya Stealth is the best I've heard and I've had the entire line except the he1000. Audeze like the LCD-DX I had was nice but overpriced by a mile. The 7hz Timeless is great for IEMs but the AE version has a dynamic bass driver so it sounds lame.

Feb 3, 2024 at 6:09 PM Post #4 of 32
In terms of value nothing I've heard beats the Moondrop Para. It's a $300 headphone performing like a $1000 headphone. I even like them better than my Hifiman Arya V2.

This is coming from someone who has historically sounded like a Hifiman shill. lol

Feb 3, 2024 at 7:06 PM Post #5 of 32
In terms of value nothing I've heard beats the Moondrop Para. It's a $300 headphone performing like a $1000 headphone. I even like them better than my Hifiman Arya V2.

This is coming from someone who has historically sounded like a Hifiman shill. lol
Wow, I’ve been looking at the Arya and LCD-X. I’ll read up on the Moondrop.

Feb 3, 2024 at 7:25 PM Post #6 of 32

Problem with the Moondrop is the weight. It weighs as much as two headphones.

Feb 3, 2024 at 8:10 PM Post #7 of 32
I felt the LCD-4 were pretty hefty. Are the Moondrops similar?

Feb 3, 2024 at 8:38 PM Post #8 of 32

The years of using the HE500s must have strengthened my neck muscles, as I don't find them unreasonably heavy while wearing them. They are certainly on the heavier side, though, that's for sure!

Feb 3, 2024 at 10:47 PM Post #9 of 32
The two biggest "flavors of the month" in planars seem to be the Dan Clark Audio E3 and the Modhouse Tungsten. Haven't heard either one, but they seem to be generating the most content and conversation at the moment. If you're planar-curious, I'd just start with a modest Hifiman (Sundara or XS) and go from there.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2024 at 11:04 PM Post #10 of 32
except for zmf and focal, everything is planar.
ZMF Caldera is planar. Lifetime driver warranty too. I doubt anyone else offers that.

In terms of value nothing I've heard beats the Moondrop Para.
Strong recommendation. I think Ill try that next unless the new very soon to be unveiled entry level round Stax is affordable.

Feb 3, 2024 at 11:44 PM Post #12 of 32
I'd go down the headfi/youtube/review site rabbit hole if I were you as that's part of the fun of the hobby but

LCD5 - neutral, clear, boring to me but undeniably great
Caldera - the "natural" king, nothing jumps out at you as overly special other than it's timbre is more dynamic like than other planars; my pick for the high end planars
Susvara - the overall detail king. A pleasant almost warmth to its timbre. Thin in comparison to the Caldera and less "fun" to me. Only worth its used price $3200-3700 IMO
Expanse - inoffensive and correct sounding at the expense of being boring to some, and jarring to others. Another undeniable great I wouldn't own personally
Elites - smooth king, not everyone's cup of tea but it sounds just right to me. Always seems to be the most divisive but I'll die on the hill that it sounds TOTL
1266 TC - bass king, ultra detailed, timbre is a deal breaker for some. It was for me
HE1000se - great sounding with TOTL technicals but a bit too thin and bright for my overall musical enjoyment, cheaper HE1000 models for a bit more warmth

Haven't heard the Abyss Diana line or Modhouse Tungsten but they seem to belong to this same echelon in the general reviews

Feb 4, 2024 at 7:31 AM Post #13 of 32
The Diana MR remains at the top of my list as a must hear. But the asking price makes sweat breakout on my forehead involuntarily each time I see it. I haven't heard any of the Diana line but sure would love to have the opportunity...some day.

Feb 4, 2024 at 8:58 AM Post #14 of 32

Pfffft. 530g? Try a long listening session with the Monolith M1570 and 530g will feel like a holiday.

Feb 4, 2024 at 9:11 AM Post #15 of 32
I'd go down the headfi/youtube/review site rabbit hole if I were you as that's part of the fun of the hobby but

LCD5 - neutral, clear, boring to me but undeniably great
Caldera - the "natural" king, nothing jumps out at you as overly special other than it's timbre is more dynamic like than other planars; my pick for the high end planars
Susvara - the overall detail king. A pleasant almost warmth to its timbre. Thin in comparison to the Caldera and less "fun" to me. Only worth its used price $3200-3700 IMO
Expanse - inoffensive and correct sounding at the expense of being boring to some, and jarring to others. Another undeniable great I wouldn't own personally
Elites - smooth king, not everyone's cup of tea but it sounds just right to me. Always seems to be the most divisive but I'll die on the hill that it sounds TOTL
1266 TC - bass king, ultra detailed, timbre is a deal breaker for some. It was for me
HE1000se - great sounding with TOTL technicals but a bit too thin and bright for my overall musical enjoyment, cheaper HE1000 models for a bit more warmth

Haven't heard the Abyss Diana line or Modhouse Tungsten but they seem to belong to this same echelon in the general reviews
This is great information, thank you. Given what you've stated, there's a lot of good choices. I am indeed diving into the rabbit hole and will spend time like I'm studying for an exam. To research in particular:

Caldera- As a current owner of a couple of ZMF cans, I can only imagine these are spectacular. I don't want to be a ZMF fanboy and want to try other brands, but ZMF does not disappoint, so I'm sure I'd love the Caldera.

HE1000- I'm seeing the stealth magnet version at a much lower price than the se. I'm reading up on the differences between stealth and se, noting the subjective interpretations.

Meze Elite- I heard the OG Empyrean a while back and thought they were great. I can only assume subsequent variations are great too, but need to read up.

All the others mentioned- I'll read up and also include the Modshop Tungsten, which I have never heard of, but those look nice and people seem to really like them.

Is the LCD-X in this mix at all? Not sure where that one sits in the hierarchy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back