Placebophile Cat 8 Ethernet Cable
Jan 20, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #46 of 54
  hi watch this is the reply:::

A shielded cable will introduce leakage currents and ground loops. The signal isn't affected much with Ethernet, but the side effects are not good. Use unshielded Ethernet.

Ah.  A "reply" by someone who has no clue.  

Priceless.

The thing with shielded CatAnything is you have to have the right connectors at both ends of the cable AND at least one device for the shield to be grounded.  Residential routers don't have the grounded RJ45 connectors, so there's really no ground at all, so no ground loop.  Also, minimal benefit to the shield.  Also, no negative effects either. 

You're running a 1m cable.  Use Cat5e, Cat6 if you're OCD.  There's no advantage at all to Cat 6 or 7 for 1m.  Absolutely none.  No disadvantage either.  Heck, for 1m, you could use Cat3, though all your friends would look at you like you were nuts. 

Jan 20, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #47 of 54
  Ah.  A "reply" by someone who has no clue.  

Priceless.

The thing with shielded CatAnything is you have to have the right connectors at both ends of the cable AND at least one device for the shield to be grounded.  Residential routers don't have the grounded RJ45 connectors, so there's really no ground at all, so no ground loop.  Also, minimal benefit to the shield.  Also, no negative effects either. 

You're running a 1m cable.  Use Cat5e, Cat6 if you're OCD.  There's no advantage at all to Cat 6 or 7 for 1m.  Absolutely none.  No disadvantage either.  Heck, for 1m, you could use Cat3, though all your friends would look at you like you were nuts. 

Yes.

Computer Audiophile has really gone down hill in the last few years.

It's now full of know-nothings spouting things they don't understand as if it were truth.  Or repeating stuff they read that another know-nothing posted.

Jan 20, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #48 of 54

Yes.

Computer Audiophile has really gone down hill in the last few years.

It's now full of know-nothings spouting things they don't understand as if it were truth.  Or repeating stuff they read that another know-nothing posted.

Yeah, I've given CA several tries, still have an account there, but I can't wade through that much pseudo-soup all the time.  Reasonably ok for learning about available software, etc., but the "tech" discussions are mostly equine output. 

Jan 20, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #49 of 54
  Yeah, I've given CA several tries, still have an account there, but I can't wade through that much pseudo-soup all the time.  Reasonably ok for learning about available software, etc., but the "tech" discussions are mostly equine output. 

There must be some audiophile axiom:

Audiophiles, once achieving as good of a playback system as is technically possible, will tweak it in ways that either make it less good or do nothing at all, because otherwise they'd have nothing to do or talk about.

Jan 20, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #50 of 54

There must be some audiophile axiom:

Audiophiles, once achieving as good of a playback system as is technically possible, will tweak it in ways that either make it less good or do nothing at all, because otherwise they'd have nothing to do or talk about.

Oh yeah.  The tweak list is long, and items should be ranked in order of absurdity.  I have a few favorites, but...well, why perpetuate? The "audible" effects of network cable is right up there.

If  put quotes around it, that means it's not true, ok? 

Jan 20, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #51 of 54
So if we were to address this with some degree of logic and reasoning to counter such claims would it be fair to say that if using cat 7 we would have to live in a world where all residential routers had grounded RJ45 connectors assuming the other end plugged into an imac for example was grounded. Finally can one state with 100 percent accuracy that all residential routers in existence do not have grounded connectors? if the answer to this is yes then cat 6 or cat 7 makes no difference even though our friends on compaudiophile lean towards unshielded ethernet. my only concern is that after buying my intona industrial which has a real effect which is truly real to me and countless others on many other forums that i am not compromising its effectiveness. thanks.

Jan 20, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #52 of 54
  So if we were to address this with some degree of logic and reasoning to counter such claims would it be fair to say that if using cat 7 we would have to live in a world where all residential routers had grounded RJ45 connectors assuming the other end plugged into an imac for example was grounded. Finally can one state with 100 percent accuracy that all residential routers in existence do not have grounded connectors? if the answer to this is yes then cat 6 or cat 7 makes no difference even though our friends on compaudiophile lean towards unshielded ethernet. my only concern is that after buying my intona industrial which has a real effect which is truly real to me and countless others on many other forums that i am not compromising its effectiveness. thanks.

We gave you several technical answers.  But perhaps they weren't what you wanted to hear.

It sounds like your remaining issues are psychological / social.

If getting the other cable is going to put your mind at ease, then get it.

Just be honest with yourself that, in reality, you're placating your neuroses more than solving any technical issue.*

*I do this, too; I can't reliably pass an ABX test of Redbook vs 320 kps, yet listen exclusively to lossless for mental health reasons.

Jan 20, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #53 of 54

1. So if we were to address this with some degree of logic and reasoning to counter such claims would it be fair to say that if using cat 7 we would have to live in a world where all residential routers had grounded RJ45 connectors assuming the other end plugged into an imac for example was grounded.

2. Finally can one state with 100 percent accuracy that all residential routers in existence do not have grounded connectors? 

3. if the answer to this is yes then cat 6 or cat 7 makes no difference even though our friends on compaudiophile lean towards unshielded ethernet.

4. my only concern is that after buying my intona industrial which has a real effect which is truly real to me and countless others on many other forums that i am not compromising its effectiveness.

1. Residential routers are powered by wall-blob power supplies.  There is no 3-pin power cord with ground wire.  There is no ground, so no shielded connectors. If you used an enterprise switch with grounded connectors, it would ground one end of a shielded CAT cable, which is sufficient.  The switch would also have to be grounded, usually via the power cord. 

2. Yes, they never have shielded RJ45s for the reason above. 

3. When plugged into a connector without a ground contact all CatX cables, shielded or not, behave as basically unshielded cable.  I lean to unshielded because it's cheaper.  I lean to Cat5e because it's cheaper and easier to terminate, and for residential cable runs, there's no speed advantage (or any other advantage) to Cat6/7.  It's just more expensive and more difficult to work with.

4.  The only product I can find called Intona is a high speed USB isolator.  If that's what you refer to, network cable of all kinds, shielded or not, grounded or not,  has no bearing on that at all.  

I'm sorry, but unless you're having a noise problem with a USB device, I don't see what the isolator could possibly accomplish.  It will not make audio sound better, or even different, as data must pass through it unaltered.  All it does is break a possible ground loop, which eliminate noise in the device's audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back