PK2 Sound Signature
Feb 8, 2009 at 3:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

ChroniCali

1000+ Head-Fier
Can someone describe the sound signature of the PK2s?
I wasn't really ready to get some earbuds, but I saw a pair for the price of a PK3 so I decided to hop on it.
I guess I shouldn't be wearing IEMs at school anyways, people call my name and I never respond.
atsmile.gif

I've seen people see PK3 has the better price to performance ratio, but what if PK3 and PK2 were the same price?

I guess I could always resell if I really don't like, but I think I should like them from the things I have read, just not sure if the bass will be enough for me. I hope it's EQable, but I am definitely not expecting anywhere close to the 5 EBs.

I just hope I won't be disappointed.

Feb 8, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #2 of 16
Bass wise the PK2 will not come close to the same amount. I wouldn't that surprised if PK2 beats your 5 EB. Who knows, they might sound more enjoyable to you if you're not a basshead. I've only own the PK3 and I was quite impressed by the full midrange

Feb 8, 2009 at 6:57 AM Post #3 of 16
I am somewhat of a basshead, but I can live with less bass than the Super Fi EBs. I'm hoping if I EQ the bass up on the PK2s that it will be enjoyable enough.

Feb 8, 2009 at 7:46 AM Post #4 of 16
I haven't listened to the PK3 so no comment there. However, my bro owns the PK2, and I've listened to it a good bit.

It's a earbud I like very much. It's got great frequency response balance, upbeat sound that's crisp and with good authority. It's not untra-clear or annoying. Bass response is good, but it does roll off early. It won't be belting out 20Hz tones with authority, but prior to roll off, it plays well. Midrange and treble are good, and I really have no complains about it.

I'd also look at the OK3 and OK2 buds too. The OK3 is supposed to be pretty equivalent to the PK2 and the OK2 is supposed to be "the PK2 on steroids."

I'd have no hesitation purchasing any of the Yuin products. It's simply a matter of budget as to which model you pick.

Feb 8, 2009 at 7:51 AM Post #5 of 16
I have a pair of PK3s a few miles away from me, but I have heard a pair of PK2s for awhile a few months ago. "Airy" is how I would describe them. I guess what bothered me the most is how airy the percussion sounded.

Feb 8, 2009 at 8:34 AM Post #7 of 16
Thanks for the replies guys. Seems like I should be okay. Not really pondering other solutions because they are kind of expensive. Only other ones I would prefer would be PK1 or OK1, but those are all way above $100 and I don't think I would be paying that much for an earbud. I also picked PK2 instead of those because I will not be using an amp.

I do have a Sony DAP so hopefully I'll be satisfied with the bass response on the PK2s. Getting them for the price of the PK3 should keep me happy for the price I believe.

I've heard some people say that they like the sound of PK3 better, but not sure if its because the price is lower than the PK2. Maybe someone who has heard both can chime in and let me know if PK2 and PK3 were same price, which one would be better. Only reason I am asking this is because I have heard that the bass on the PK3 is better and extends deeper, but how about the overall sound?

Feb 8, 2009 at 9:25 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChroniCali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the replies guys. Seems like I should be okay. Not really pondering other solutions because they are kind of expensive. Only other ones I would prefer would be PK1 or OK1, but those are all way above $100 and I don't think I would be paying that much for an earbud. I also picked PK2 instead of those because I will not be using an amp.

I do have a Sony DAP so hopefully I'll be satisfied with the bass response on the PK2s. Getting them for the price of the PK3 should keep me happy for the price I believe.

I've heard some people say that they like the sound of PK3 better, but not sure if its because the price is lower than the PK2. Maybe someone who has heard both can chime in and let me know if PK2 and PK3 were same price, which one would be better. Only reason I am asking this is because I have heard that the bass on the PK3 is better and extends deeper, but how about the overall sound?

Sounds to me like the PK3 is best for you since your a basshead. Spend the leftover money on some music.

Feb 8, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds to me like the PK3 is best for you since your a basshead. Spend the leftover money on some music.

Maybe so, but wouldn't have money left over since I'm getting them at the same price.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 8, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #10 of 16
I owned both, and sold the PK2s. I prefer the PK3 sound, as has been mentioned here (a little more bass). But either choice is a good one, if they are the same price. I also got my PK2 back in the early days for $50 via a group buy, so it has been awhile since I heard them. I had all three PKs at one point, but just didn't use the PK1s enough (really an amped phone), and gave away my PK3s to a friend. Now, I bought a new pair, and they still blow me away.

Oh, concerning the OKs. If you look at the photos on Head-Direct, notice the OKs have a larger, rounder, thicker (less tapered?) rim that the PK lineup. That bothered my ears (also had a trial version of the OK3s) in long-term listening. Something to consider.

Feb 8, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #11 of 16
I vastly prefer the PK3 over the PK2 even at the same price. The PK2 sounds a bit lifeless and less musical to me then the PK3. Probally because of its lack of bass. I also found out that with a few tweaks (removing the foams and playing with the EQ a bit) I can almost produce the same PK2 sound with the PK3s. But the opposite is impossible to due because of the difference in bass.

Feb 8, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you can get the driver close enough to the ear, they pk2 will have great big bass but without great positioning, they are not bass head killers.

agree. i just got my pk2 today. i also own the pk1 but i decided that i dont want to carry an amp with me on the go. they simply amazing right out of the ipod. enough bass,right on the spot, not too much. and also very datailed and clear highs,can be a little peircing sometimes, but in the good audiophilic way. the closest full cans i can compare to are the senn hd595 since i didnt listen to a lot of cans. but again..enough bass for me,and i am used to the denon ah-d5000 which are much bassy cans.
i am really curioused about the pk3 sound, cause if the bass is getting better than this...oh mama. but i guess it comes with the price of the other parts of the graph.

Feb 8, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #15 of 16
During normal use and positioning, the PK2 are pretty cold, lean, not extended bass-wise. Midrange lacks some necessary warmth. They have a couple of exceeding dB's in the cymbals (treble) area which makes the sound pretty detailed, but sometimes a bit harsh with some recordings. Soundstage is very small and not comparable with their true bigger brother, the OK2.
I would go for the PK1 if money was no object and I liked bass, an energetic tonal balance, big soundstage and I listened mostly to rock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back