Pizza Favorites?
Mar 1, 2007 at 1:35 PM Post #76 of 111
One of the best pizza places I know is Pauline's Pizza in SF (*goggladeegoogladaa* oh, nice - they've even got a website, now: http://www.paulinespizza.com) - plenty of interesting ingredients available. I'd recommend to start with one of their fine salads, then have some pizza (e.g. with goat cheese, sun-dried tomatoes and olives) and finally their lovely "Sorbet Trio"... Good stuff, nice place - not really cheap, though.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Mar 1, 2007 at 4:47 PM Post #77 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by jPoDTGN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm from Philadelphia....
Nevertheless, Boston has bad food? LMAO. You just have horrible taste in food. Lemme guess, you go around trying different burger kings? hahaha.

That's understandable b/c the only good thing in Philadelphia is their cheesesteak... but they do that right. The only place I have had a decent cheesesteak outside of Philly is in California, but it is a place that is owned by a guy from Philly and he gets his bread from Philly.

I don't have horrible taste in food. I just haven't had it cultivated in 2nd and 3rd rate food cities like Boston and Philladelphia.

Mar 1, 2007 at 11:26 PM Post #78 of 111
i make my own and it's great; you need a pizza stone; it gets mad hot

whenever i buy pizza it's always WAY too loaded with cheese, and usually crappy cheese at that; it's all in the sauce, perfecting a nice tomato sauce is the trick, some good mozzarella sparingly used, and from there you can put on whatever you feel like

oh, and corn starch on the pizza stone helps to get it off

Mar 1, 2007 at 11:46 PM Post #79 of 111
Quote:

It's true. I've had it. Ours is just as good and probably better.

There are so many pizza joints in NYC. Which have you had that you've formed your opinion? Lombardi's? John's on Bleecker? Orso (very thin crust!)? Angelo's Coal Oven? Patsy's? Don Giovanni's #18 w/Eggplant & Goat Cheese? Totonno's? Other.....?

Mar 1, 2007 at 11:52 PM Post #80 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are so many pizza joints in NYC. Which have you had that you've formed your opinion? Lombardi's? John's on Bleecker? Orso (very thin crust!)? Angelo's Coal Oven? Patsy's? Don Giovanni's #18 w/Eggplant & Goat Cheese? Totonno's? Other.....?

Probably Ray's. LOL.

Mar 2, 2007 at 12:06 AM Post #81 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The pizza in California is so bad that I have my friend ship me a pie from NYC every few weeks. I take my slices plain and sprinkle on some red pepper, garlic and oregano.

I don't think anyone has mentioned Blondie's in Berkeley which is pretty good. Also, LA sometimes gets a good NY style pizzeria--Lamonica's, for example.

Mar 2, 2007 at 12:19 AM Post #82 of 111
Quote:

That's understandable b/c the only good thing in Philadelphia is their cheesesteak... but they do that right. The only place I have had a decent cheesesteak outside of Philly is in California, but it is a place that is owned by a guy from Philly and he gets his bread from Philly.

I don't have horrible taste in food. I just haven't had it cultivated in 2nd and 3rd rate food cities like Boston and Philladelphia.

I'm done listening to your horrid opinions if Philly and Boston are 2nd/3rd rate food cities...

Mar 2, 2007 at 12:22 AM Post #83 of 111
Quote:

Probably Ray's. LOL.

Gag. Ack.

Mar 2, 2007 at 12:34 AM Post #84 of 111
Quote:

I'm done listening to your horrid opinions if Philly and Boston are 2nd/3rd rate food cities...

You can't be living in Boston and coming from Philly and not expect some insults from someone from NYC. Maybe times have changed, but it just came with the territory in my days. All in good fun.

Mar 2, 2007 at 3:22 AM Post #85 of 111
"My favorite is Hank's, over in Playa del Rey. It's just a little place I pass by on my commute, and decided to drop in one day. It's fantastic, and I've got the rest of my family and friends hooked on it. They make a great meatball sub, too. Still, I'm not terribly picky about pizza. There are a lot of good ones out there.

I've placed large orders for work/school/etc. a number of times over the years, and have made an interesting observation. Rarely, if ever, does anyone ask for a plain cheese pizza. However, I always order a couple anyway and they're usually the first to be finished. Why is that?"

I've seen Hanks's in Playa del Rey, I sometimes drive by it on my way home. Have never been to it, but have often wondered if it is good, or not.

By the way, have you tried "Mama D's" in Manhattan Beach? If so, what are your thoughts?

- augustwest

Oct 9, 2012 at 6:54 AM Post #87 of 111
i actually worked in a pizza place for 6 months when i was 18. started off in the kitcehn and after a month or two i steped up to "the line". i.e the production line, the guy standing and throwing the doe into the air and making the pizza.

i think iv had every possible toping in every possible combination. keep in mind that after a couple of months at a pizza place you get very bored with the usual stuff so my favorite toping is abit weird: instead of tomato sauce you use 17% sour cream. on that you add smoked salmon and ontop of that a mix of yellow and feta cheese. because the cheese is ontop of the salmon, it kinda cooks better and makes it really juicey. it works well with tuna and with bacon btw.
we never actually sold this pizza, we were not officially speaking allowed to dodge out in the middle of the shift to get the sour cream and we certainly werent allowed to use it instead of the tomato sauce but you know, when the bosses are away the workers will play...

another good one is broccoli and peperoni

Oct 9, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #89 of 111
My definite fav in my country in Finland:

Burgerpizza: 
- Beef n' Roast, Cheddar-cheese, Salad with Long Island dressing

I'm not much of a vegetables liker but damn it becomes so great mix on this pizza with a very soft texture and well the whole mix is just lovely, certainly tastes better than it looks

Oct 12, 2012 at 5:12 AM Post #90 of 111
I live on the island of Bali but just as luck would have it, there are a group of Italian restaurateurs who import all their ingredients directly from Italy. The places have really low overhead so they charge about $5 a pizza. I get the Sicilian about three times a week. Basic sausage and cheese, but everything is authentic so it's totally great. My new thing is to squeeze lime juice on it by the slice. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back