Pitchfork's and Cokemachineglow's Top 50 Albums of 2006
Dec 23, 2006 at 6:55 AM Post #2 of 47
Always enjoy reading Ptichfork's list. I've been waiting for Cokemachingglows.

Music is a subjective thing eh?

And props to Pitchfork for their number one. Which is also my favorite of the year.

"Silent Shout" by The Knife is the one album I heard this year that sounded completely fresh.

Dec 23, 2006 at 8:16 AM Post #3 of 47
i kinda liked pitchfork's top 50 over CMGs...(w00t for Joanna Newsom @ #3 by pitchfork!)

strangely enough, some notable albums were missed from both lists; like Begin to Hope and Rabbit Fur Coat

but yes, very subjective as virometal said.

Dec 23, 2006 at 9:59 PM Post #8 of 47
At least Pitchfork put The Drift in the top 10
biggrin.gif

Dec 23, 2006 at 10:05 PM Post #9 of 47
Oh well, gotta be fast around here if you change your mind about a post...
3000smile.gif

Dec 24, 2006 at 12:18 AM Post #12 of 47
I can live with Pitchfork's list, though I am no great supporter of Pitchfork. Cokemachineglow, well, they had a nice list - just not one that I can really say I "like."

Both are, though, better than Rolling Stone, all things considered.

Dec 24, 2006 at 2:15 AM Post #13 of 47
Pitchfork wrote this of of Sonic Youth:

Quote:

On Murray Street and Sonic Nurse, Jim O'Rourke pulled Sonic Youth out of a late-90s rut, spurring noise-rock jams that looked backward, forward, and somewhere in between. But even the biggest fan of those albums probably wouldn't deny craving a sequel to pop records like Goo and Dirty...

that right there is enough to sink their credibility. yet there's so much more...
rolleyes.gif

Dec 25, 2006 at 8:32 PM Post #14 of 47
CMG writes some of the most dense, obtuse, snobby critical reviews I have ever read in my life, and I love them for it, even though so much of their prose is damn near unreadable. My favorite line in the top 50 was about Ghostface's Fishscale:

"And “9 Milli Bros.” might be a second-rate Clan cut, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be thanking God on high for it, lifting your W in praise."

It's for lines like that that its worth it to slog through paragraph after paragraph of confusing and perhaps irrelevant intellectual rhetoric that CMG's writers seem capable of pumping out on a daily basis.

Dec 26, 2006 at 1:23 PM Post #15 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjhatfield /img/forum/go_quote.gif
CMG writes some of the most dense, obtuse, snobby critical reviews I have ever read in my life...

Seconded.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjhatfield /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...and I love them for it, even though so much of their prose is damn near unreadable.

Unfortunately, I can't agree with this.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back