Pioneer's First Hi-End Headphones: SE-Master 1
Jun 18, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #166 of 2,189
  I received my Master 1 yesterday and listened to it straight out of the box using my iPod Classic and my mobile headphone amp Vorzuge Pure II.
As I’m quite new at head-fi: I’m not into headphones much (so far), but I’m into Hifi for more than 25 years now and my current set up is: Wadia 781i sacd player, Audio Research Reference 5 SE pre-amp, AR Reference 150 power amp, TAD Evolution 1 speakers and all cables are from Schnerzinger (small german company, which do the best cables I know); and I prefer a neutral and natural sound + rather less than too much bass.
And last weekend I had the chance to listen to Ultrasone Edition 5 Unlimited, Audeze LE-8 closed, LCD-2, LCD-3, LCD-X and LCD-XC and Sennheiser HD-800 on a Marantz sacd player (don’t know the model) and Sennheiser HDVD 800 amp in a headphone store for 2,5 hours.
Straight out of the Marantz sacd player the HD 800 was just kind of clinical and not involving at all; through the HDVD 800 amp the sound improved a lot and it did sound very good (as described on head-fi lots of times), but I was missing some bass and I still was not involved very much.
The Audeze LCD-3 had something I missed from the HD 800 (more bass and I was more involved), but I was missing something the HD 800 has (very clean sound).
And now the Master 1: after 1 minute listening to “Antony and the Johnsons – Cut the world” I knew, this is the kind of headphone I was looking for: to me and for my taste the Master 1 does everything right and it has, what I have missed from the HD 800 and the Audeze LCD-3.
To describe the sound: I totally agree with what was said so far by “ChatAlors” (despite I had no problems with male voices at all), “FiveYears” and “Wurstteppich”. The Master 1 has just a wonderful natural sound, is extremely comfortable and the built quality is close to perfect, if not perfect.
I did also listen to Hugh Masekela – Hope and Johnny Cash – American recordings IV - The man comes around. It was so much fun listening, that I had a smile on my face all evening long and I did not want to stop listening; this headphone really did get me. This probably describes best, what the Master 1 did to me. I had not expected anything like this from any headphone.
I will not need different headphones for different kinds of music; I'm sure the Master 1 is just right (to me) for all kinds of music.
As I did not listen to Stax 007 or Stax 009, I cannot compare to these.
I can recommend to everyone do give this headphone a try and I would say, many people will love it.
Cheers
Thomas

Great, great news, happy to hear you find them that good.
Your observations about the HD800 and Audeze (although I had an LCD2) are in line with mine.
A pity you didn't compare them to the Staxes though.

Jun 19, 2015 at 3:48 AM Post #168 of 2,189
I will compare the Master 1 to the Stax headphones in the near future, but I'm sure I will stick to the Master 1 (as the Stax 009 is too expansive anyway and also needs amplification, what makes it even more expansive)

I have listened yesterday evening to Jack Johnson - On and on, Paul Weller - As is now, Jim White Vs. the Packway Handle Band - Take it like a man and Shelby Lynne - Just a little lovin and it was great fun again; I did not expect this sound from a headphone

Jun 19, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #169 of 2,189
  I will compare the Master 1 to the Stax headphones in the near future, but I'm sure I will stick to the Master 1 (as the Stax 009 is too expansive anyway and also needs amplification, what makes it even more expansive)

I have listened yesterday evening to Jack Johnson - On and on, Paul Weller - As is now, Jim White Vs. the Packway Handle Band - Take it like a man and Shelby Lynne - Just a little lovin and it was great fun again; I did not expect this sound from a headphone

The price of the 009 + a Blue Hawaii which seems to be the best amp for it is a serious consideration indeed, to say the least. And the amplification will only work with those types of headphones, it would be an easier choice if it were an amp you can use with all your phones.

Still, I'm looking forward to your impresssions when you compare the Master1 to the 009.

Jun 19, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #170 of 2,189
When I see Pioneer and Hi-End, I think of the KURO Plasma which I still feel to be the best performing TV to date (including OLED and 4K). Deep perfect blacks and inky colors yet natural and realistic. With the initial impressions of the SE-Master 1 promising to be what the KURO was to TV, color me interested... very interested!

Jun 19, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #171 of 2,189
  When I see Pioneer and Hi-End, I think of the KURO Plasma which I still feel to be the best performing TV to date (including OLED and 4K). Deep perfect blacks and inky colors yet natural and realistic. With the initial impressions of the SE-Master 1 promising to be what the KURO was to TV, color me interested... very interested!

I know what you mean, I have the pioneer that set in motion the Kuro series.
Not even the best 4k TVs (TOTL Panasonic) in production at this moment can compete with the quality of the Pioneer plasmas, I've seen them side by side a few months ago.

Jun 20, 2015 at 2:16 AM Post #172 of 2,189

I know what you mean, I have the pioneer that set in motion the Kuro series.
Not even the best 4k TVs (TOTL Panasonic) in production at this moment can compete with the quality of the Pioneer plasmas, I've seen them side by side a few months ago.

+1
The Kuro Plasma's have achieved a cult status among videophiles. Probably, one of the only TV's that were selling above list price once they got discontinued.

Jun 20, 2015 at 3:05 AM Post #173 of 2,189
Had great synergy with my burson conductor(older model with stepped attenuator) that has the BB dac. I tried it with the hdva600 and the soloist both connected to a line magnetic dac(dual sabre). Did not have great synergy with this system but it was fun and kinda thick sounding. Comparing the sound of the pioneer master + conductor to my office Hi-fi setup which consists of dynaudio c2 platinum, 2x dynaudio sub600 and a musical fidelity m6500i integrated. It really does sound close and it gives me the feeling that i'm listening to my Hi-fi but with a smaller sized soundstage. I mean smaller, not compressed, the instrument separation is still great and it has that magic of making things sound real.

Time to sell my hdva600 and hd800 plus other gears
biggrin.gif

Jun 20, 2015 at 6:43 AM Post #175 of 2,189
I tried to compare the Pioneer SE Master-1 with the STAX SR007(MKI) & SR009 these last days, but it is comparing pears, oranges and apples.
I have already tried to render an image of the SE Master-1 and the SR009 in a previous comment in this same topic.
Different kinds of tastes and renditions.

So, it's up to you.

For replying to arnaud, my shyness on intervening about STAX amplification and other solid-state/tubes amps is solely because you always have someone to dictate you what you must use, like and dislike.
When you are not with them, you have a problem with your amp, your source or any kind of shenanigans.
So I keep myself for more than 15 feet from those topics.

I'm out of my shyness right here because I had the chance to have an early access on these headphones and there was some questioning about these also.
Otherwise, I'm more a reader of HeadFi than an active participant.

Wish a good time with the SE Master-1 to the new buyers, hope that you will enjoy them as I do.

Jun 20, 2015 at 7:23 AM Post #177 of 2,189
I'm beginning a long listening of the Beyerdynamic T1 since this morning.

But I need some more time today for the evaluation, even for a real quick impression.

Will probably being done within the end of the day.

Jun 20, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #178 of 2,189
  For replying to arnaud, my shyness on intervening about STAX amplification and other solid-state/tubes amps is solely because you always have someone to dictate you what you must use, like and dislike.
When you are not with them, you have a problem with your amp, your source or any kind of shenanigans.
So I keep myself for more than 15 feet from those topics.

Which is a sad point in itself. Same reason I'm limiting my time spent here nowadays btw.
But don't let that scare you away, I think overall ignoring each other in case of known opinion-incompatibilities works quite well here (better than in many other places).
Impressions don't have to be perfect, its not a review for commercial purposes (which may pose its own problems...). It might help to give a few hints about the complete system used of course, it may help to get the bigger picture.

Jun 20, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #179 of 2,189
I have listened quickly and compared my listening between the T1 and the SE Master-1.

The T1 are analytical headphones, with great resolution and clarity.
Angled drivers are a strong point (like with the HD800) and the sound doesn't come directly to your ears, like when you are listening to speakers in a room with reverberation on the walls.
But the bass are surprisingly on the dry side, like a 'took-took-took' sound, so quite pointy in sound appreciation.
Fun, but end of notes and decays are cut off quite strictly.

The SE Master-1 are also on the analytical side, but the bass are more fuller, more longer.
No angled drivers, and in contrast to the T1, you have a direct rear soundstage from drivers.
The bass are more like ripples destinated to your ears, with a "bang-bang-bang' sound, but I don't think at all that we could classified these as 'boomy'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back