Pioneer XDP-300R | Twin DAC ES9018K2M | Balanced Out | Android | MQA | 2x MicroSD | WiFi | AptX
Feb 15, 2017 at 10:24 PM Post #661 of 2,535
That's interesting because my EQ is off. Is it the song?

Ha, that is interesting! Is it a highly compressed pop song? I never saw it happening without EQ on. Lots of poorly mastered tracks will actually hit 0dB peaks.

Feb 15, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #662 of 2,535
  Ha, that is interesting! Is it a highly compressed pop song? I never saw it happening without EQ on. Lots of poorly mastered tracks will actually hit 0dB peaks.

Rilo Kiley - Give a Little Love. MP3 320kbps. Is it bad for the player in anyway play songs that cause clipping?

Feb 16, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #663 of 2,535
Looking for something to replace my iPod. Sometimes I use the iPod to listen with my home rig as well - will the output(s) on this unit work well to use in conjunction with a Schiit Bimby/2-channel setup?

TIA!

Feb 16, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #664 of 2,535
WARNING: Do not waste your money on the officail Pioneer screen protector. I ordered one on Amazon from Japan for $38 plus shipping. The size is perfect, however it does not adhere to the screen and bubbles on all corners. I tried holding it down and giving it time to stick but that only works temporarily until it lifts back up again.

Does anyone know of another screen protector that fits and actually works?

Feb 16, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #665 of 2,535

I got the LifeBox screen protector from Amazon for $20. It's listed for the Onkyo DP-X1 but since they are the same size, it fits fine.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JKGP30G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Feb 16, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #666 of 2,535
Feb 16, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #667 of 2,535
Alright guys finally jumping onto the DAP train.

Congrats to the guys that jumped on the sale for this thing, great deal.  Wish I was looking at this thing 2 weeks ago.  If any of you want to sell theirs, let a man know :wink:.

Ok, so we've mostly heard all the pros as of now.  What are the cons?  How are the headphone jacks holding up?

Anyone rooted their unit yet?  wondering because I want to get viper4android on this thing.

The bassboost and eq, is it global or only specific to the onkyo player?

Feb 16, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #668 of 2,535
WARNING: Do not waste your money on the officail Pioneer screen protector. I ordered one on Amazon from Japan for $38 plus shipping. The size is perfect, however it does not adhere to the screen and bubbles on all corners. I tried holding it down and giving it time to stick but that only works temporarily until it lifts back up again.

I bought the @Folix from Amazon, € 8,60 works great: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01D1YU5YM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Feb 16, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #669 of 2,535
  Alright guys finally jumping onto the DAP train.

Congrats to the guys that jumped on the sale for this thing, great deal.  Wish I was looking at this thing 2 weeks ago.  If any of you want to sell theirs, let a man know :wink:.

Ok, so we've mostly heard all the pros as of now.  What are the cons?  How are the headphone jacks holding up?

Anyone rooted their unit yet?  wondering because I want to get viper4android on this thing.

The bassboost and eq, is it global or only specific to the onkyo player?

I am still very happy with it.
Not rooted, played with PowerAmp a bit but still reasonably happy with the stock player app. 
Headphone jack 3.5 is still holding up, the plug sits a bit looser than new, but still tight.
Cons: There is no Album Artist selection in the current software, so you have to tag all your Various Artists albums as compilation with MP3Tag or so.
Artists overview shows all performing artists from each album, if you have a lot of trance compilation albums on your XDP as well like me this view is unusable.
The graphic analyzer is minimalistic, would like to see more options, like VU Meters and analyzers like implemented in PowerAmp, but maybe that's just me, I like eye candy.
Still don't know why FLAC 44.1kHz is upsampled to 48kHz by default....
Bassboost (Club Sound Boost) and EQ (DSP function) is present

Feb 16, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #670 of 2,535
Feb 16, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #671 of 2,535
  I am still very happy with it.
Not rooted, played with PowerAmp a bit but still reasonably happy with the stock player app. 
Headphone jack 3.5 is still holding up, the plug sits a bit looser than new, but still tight.
Cons: There is no Album Artist selection in the current software, so you have to tag all your Various Artists albums as compilation with MP3Tag or so.
Artists overview shows all performing artists from each album, if you have a lot of trance compilation albums on your XDP as well like me this view is unusable.
The graphic analyzer is minimalistic, would like to see more options, like VU Meters and analyzers like implemented in PowerAmp, but maybe that's just me, I like eye candy.
Still don't know why FLAC 44.1kHz is upsampled to 48kHz by default....
Bassboost (Club Sound Boost) and EQ (DSP function) is present

I use Neutron and Spotify, so I have my concerns about those two apps, mainly.  So does this apply when using 3rd party apps, instead of the stock player?

Does pandora work?  I still use this for discovering new music.

Feb 16, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #672 of 2,535

I use Neutron and Spotify, so I have my concerns about those two apps, mainly.  So does this apply when using 3rd party apps, instead of the stock player?

Does pandora work?  I still use this for discovering new music.

Spotify has it own library, so no issue with Various Artists there.
Same goes for other 3rd party players like PowerAmp and UAPP, but there are some unanswered questions with 3rd party apps, it seems music is routed through Android, so 96kHz limitation and maybe other sound quality side effects (which I can't distinguish from using the stock player though) 

Feb 17, 2017 at 4:36 AM Post #674 of 2,535

Hi , is the sound on 300R + vantam warmer than 300R alone?  How many hours you can get when using the usb connected to vantam ?  Thanks!

Any issue when play Tidal with this setup?

No, I would not call it warm (but not that cold as Sabre chip :) but I do not think that Pioneer is cold as many other devices on the ESS chips).
This is PCM1795 DAC in its best implementation, this is not a warm AKM for sure ))
It is at a higher level of everything than Pioneer except the power (80 mW max vs 150 mW - both balanced).
The thing is that I'm satisfied with the Pioneer performance too as my daily on-the-go source.

The battery of Vantam Classic Master lasts for 3 - 3.5 hours (vs 4.5 - 5 hours of the standard Vantam).

When you connect Pioneer to Vantam the DAP will ask if Music App can connect to usb device - just say NO and start streaming Tidal. Make sure your volume level on the Pioneer is not at Minimum. You can control the volume of the Vantam from the Pioneer.

Feb 17, 2017 at 8:20 AM Post #675 of 2,535
No, I would not call it warm (but not that cold as Sabre chip :) but I do not think that Pioneer is cold as many other devices on the ESS chips).
This is PCM1795 DAC in its best implementation, this is not a warm AKM for sure ))
It is at a higher level of everything than Pioneer except the power (80 mW max vs 150 mW - both balanced).
The thing is that I'm satisfied with the Pioneer performance too as my daily on-the-go source.

The battery of Vantam Classic Master lasts for 3 - 3.5 hours (vs 4.5 - 5 hours of the standard Vantam).

When you connect Pioneer to Vantam the DAP will ask if Music App can connect to usb device - just say NO and start streaming Tidal. Make sure your volume level on the Pioneer is not at Minimum. You can control the volume of the Vantam from the Pioneer.

Thanks a lot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back