Pioneer SE-L40 Recable
Aug 20, 2010 at 3:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

mulholland

New Head-Fier
I recently picked up a pair of Pioneer SE-L40 headphones that are in great external condition; however, there seems to be a short developing in the cable about where the cable enters the earpiece.  I had bought these with the intention of at least using them from time to time, but at the moment even the slightest of movement causes sound to drop and/or static in one or both ears.

That in mind I have a few questions:
  1. Is it possible to have these recabled?  If so, I'd greatly appreciate any recommendations as to where (or with whom) I can get this done.
  2. What is the likely cost of getting these recabled? 
  3. Cost in mind, is it worth it to get such an old pair of headphones recabled?

Thanks in advance for any direction provided.
smile.gif

Aug 20, 2010 at 8:08 AM Post #2 of 2
If you like the overall sound, it's worth recabling older headphones.

If you can do it yourself, it ends up being quite cheap as long as you don't get into really exotic cabling options.  It's actually usually pretty simple soldering once you get in there.  The old Pioneers are built like tanks, and there are probably screws under the pads that get you into the case.

If it's static in both ears, there's a chance that it's actually the tension on the plug that's causing the short, which would be a much easier and cheaper fix.  If it's not in the case itself (unlikely, but possible), you can just splice in a new cable or have it spliced, which is also somewhat simpler.

Whether it's all worth it is an entirely different discussion.  The L40s, while considered to be one of the most attractive headphones ever made, are usually not noted for their good sound quality.  If we were talking the Pioneer Monitor 10, I'd say go for it.  In this case, you're going to have to judge the quality of what you're hearing for yourself.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back