Pioneer SE-205 - worth re-cabling and/or modding??
Jan 9, 2011 at 11:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

johns78c

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys

I've just found a pair of Pioneer SE-205's in my garage!  They belonged to my parents and I don't know how I got the 'phones but they're not getting them back!

Problem is, when I first plugged them in I got no sound at all.  When I started jiggling and manipulating the cable (no crude jokes please  :p )  I got sound which was crackly and when I played around in a couple of places the sound came through clearly with some nice defined highs but not much bass.

The question is - is it worth my time and effort to re-cable and/or modify these cans?  Especially when I will have some ATH-M50s on the way soon...

Cheers,

Chris

Jan 11, 2011 at 7:12 AM Post #2 of 3
Ok, so I ended up giving up a few hours of my time and re-cabled the old 205s.  I used a 4 core shielded cable which is nearly twice the circumference of the original cable.  This required slight modification to the cans so the cable would fit in there.  It's not a perfect fit but I got them back together ok. 

Anyway I'm pretty happy with the sound - they're certainly a step up from the no-name cans I've been listening to lately.  That and they're heaps more comfortable.

Makes me really look forward to the ATH-M50s!

Jun 5, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #3 of 3
Hey. I have a set of Pioneer SL-205s too. They don't sound great, but they have sentimental value for sure. I have a similar problem that you had. The left side goes in and out (mostly out) when I'm sitting perfectly still. If I move the cord around or hold it just right, it sounds fine.

I was wondering if it was worth the time to try to fix them when I ran across this thread. What all is involved and what skill level do I need to have to fix these cool old cans?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanx!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back