Pioneer Elite dv45 for $200
Dec 27, 2006 at 11:43 PM Post #2 of 15
What's your current source?

Most people around here think that the DV-45A doesn't sound like anything special, but I love mine... It sounds fairly neutral to my ears, though I'll admit that since it's my best source component, I don't have much to compare. It has a handful of Burr-Brown PCM1738 DACs inside and as you probably know, plays both high-res formats without downconversion (ex. DSD).

There are some bass management issues, but those are partly due to the requirements of the SACD format itself. If you only use it for stereo playback, you'll never run into them.

Another issue that many people comment about is that since it isn't an overbuilt metal tank like some audiophile transports, you'll hear the transport spinning, especially with high-res discs. If you can isolate it in a rack, sit away from it, wear headphones, or just don't care much about transport noise, it won't be an issue.

Keep in mind that this player retailed for $750 when it was released in 2002. Instead of releasing a new model every few years, Pioneer has just been lowering the MSRP on this one. Its replacement, the DV-46AV, is marketed at a lower price segment and doesn't have the ability to disable the video section like the DV-45A. The only advantage of the DV-46AV is a much-improved video section and the ability to play a few more formats (ex. DivX, WMA).

Dec 27, 2006 at 11:52 PM Post #3 of 15
I think you'll be happier with this one:

Oppo DV-970HD for $149.00 delivered.

It's a world beater, all the audio mags are gushing over it. It was TAS' 2006 Budget Product of the Year.

Dec 27, 2006 at 11:58 PM Post #4 of 15
I've heard some Head-Fiers say that the audio performance of the Oppo 97x series isn't so great, while it's obviously one of the best video and video upsampling players on the market. It does decode HDCD, which is always a nice bonus.

Dec 28, 2006 at 12:06 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard some Head-Fiers say that the audio performance of the Oppo 97x series isn't so great, while it's obviously one of the best video and video upsampling players on the market. It does decode HDCD, which is always a nice bonus.

I haven't read any comments by Head-Fiers, but I've read gushing reviews in TAS and Stererophile specifically addressing the sound quality.

In fact, there is a review by Chris Martens in this months TAS that rates the SQ very highly, especially for it's price point.

Dec 28, 2006 at 12:13 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by nelamvr6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In fact, there is a review by Chris Martens in this months TAS that rates the SQ very highly, especially for it's price point.

That's an important distinction, though. The Oppo is a $149 MSRP player, and while I can't think of any other universal players worth recommending at that price point, the next price point isn't too far away.

Dec 28, 2006 at 12:34 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

That's an important distinction, though. The Oppo is a $149 MSRP player, and while I can't think of any other universal players worth recommending at that price point, the next price point isn't too far away.

The intent of the review is that the Oppo performs well above it's price point. Well above.

Here's a quote form the article awarding the Oppo Product of the Year for 2006 in the Budget category:

Quote:

...what makes this unit so surprisingly good - and not just "for the money" - is sound and video quality characterized by excellent overall transparency and detail, a good measure of treble smoothness, taut, clean (though occasionally too lean) bass, and a character that emphasizes clarity more than it does warmth.

I would quote the entire review for you but it's not available on-line and I really don't feel like typing a lot. Not to mention that I'm note sure I wouldn't run afoul of copy write law by doing so.

In short, it's a great player that also happens to be inexpensive, not just a player that's great "for the money".

Dec 30, 2006 at 1:08 AM Post #8 of 15
Hi Head-Fiers,

and the new model is supposed to have improved audio outputs:

DV-981HD

although there is no component video output. I might pick one of these two models up to have an inexpensive multi-source player (SACD/DVD-A/Redbook). There is an interesting difference in the literature between the two models:

The DV-981HD states:

Quote:

Optimized Audio Features:

High-resolution multi-channel digital audio output through HDMI supporting CD, DVD-Audio, SACD, Dolby Digital and DTS sound tracks.
Individual analog 5.1-channel surround and down-mixed stereo outputs
24-bit, 192kHz high resolution audio D/A converters
Optical and coaxial digital audio outputs with DTS, Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro-Logic II and Linear PCM support
3D Surround (Virtual Surround): Concert, Live, Dance, Techno, Classic, Soft
Built-in equalizer, channel trim and channel delay functions

Whereas the DV-970HD states:

Quote:

Optimized Audio Features:

Optimized analog audio circuitry for great audio quality
Built-in Dolby Digital decoder with individual 5.1ch and down-mixed stereo outputs
Optical and coaxial digital audio outputs for Dolby Digital, DTS and Linear PCM
Unique "Audio Only" mode with video processing turned off for perfect acoustic fidelity
3D Surround (Virtual Surround): Concert, Live, Dance, Techno, Classic, Soft
Built-in equalizer, channel trim and channel delay functions

It is this "audio only" option that has me intrigued. Does anyone have one of these models (DV-970HD) that could provide some feedback as to the quality of this "mode"? Be most interested in your observations.

Cheers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nelamvr6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you'll be happier with this one:

Oppo DV-970HD for $149.00 delivered.

It's a world beater, all the audio mags are gushing over it. It was TAS' 2006 Budget Product of the Year.

Dec 30, 2006 at 2:28 AM Post #9 of 15
I bought a DV-45A very soon after it was released, in 2002 it seems as infinitesymphony mentions. It has worked flawlessly as my main DVD player(FWIW) in my HT system for a couple years along with using it to play DVD-A/SACD on a 6.1 system.

It is now my source for my headphone rig feeding a digital signal into my Central Station for Redbook and analog for DVD-A/SACD. I have no plans to upgrade.

I have read the great reviews on those Oppo players and they should be high on the list.

Dec 30, 2006 at 3:09 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by TKO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Head-Fiers,

and the new model is supposed to have improved audio outputs:

Oppo still recommends the 970HD over the 981 if your first priority is audio.

i compared the 45A with the 970HD side by side for several hours, and came away preferring the 970HD. it's now my source. it's not the be-all-end-all, but until i gather the funds for something in the $1k range, i'm happy.

Dec 30, 2006 at 3:15 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax
i compared the 45A with the 970HD side by side for several hours, and came away preferring the 970HD.

What were the sonic differences you heard between the two players?

Dec 30, 2006 at 11:56 PM Post #12 of 15
VicAjax,

thanks for that. I was looking at the 970HD model as well, especially since they seem to have focussed on an audio-only capability. I think I will pick one up in the new year. They are available online here in Canada for a reasonable price as well, which is nice for a change.

Cheers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oppo still recommends the 970HD over the 981 if your first priority is audio.

i compared the 45A with the 970HD side by side for several hours, and came away preferring the 970HD. it's now my source. it's not the be-all-end-all, but until i gather the funds for something in the $1k range, i'm happy.

Dec 31, 2006 at 12:04 AM Post #13 of 15
I've not heard the Oppo, but I do know the Pioneer line pretty well.

I've had a DV-47Ai for 5 years now, and I'm very pleased with it. I use mine mostly as a transport with network mods to my MSB Gold Link DAC, but the SACD out sounds pretty good to me. When I've listened to the CD playback, I've been satisifed as well. I gather that the 45 is less of a DVD player than the DV-47Ai, but that the audio is pretty close. If that's the case, it's a nice buy.

The thing you get with Pioneer transports IMHO is reliability. I don't know the Oppo at this point from any other player, but I know that I've had Pioneer Laser Disc, CD, DVD, and universal players and changers for the better part of 20 years now, and <knock wood> have never had a problem.

Dec 31, 2006 at 3:44 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

What were the sonic differences you heard between the two players?

as transports, the two were indistinguishable to me.

through the analog outs, i thought the 45 had grainier highs. the soundstage of the 45 seemed taller, but the imaging was more precise on the Oppo. the differences were not night-and-day, but i did conclusively prefer the 970HD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back