Pin arrangement for 2.5mm female to 3.5mm male audio adaptor, DIY
Apr 6, 2021 at 12:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

alex5908

500+ Head-Fier
Hello everybody,
I have 4 different types of 2.5mm female to 3.5mm male audio adaptors but they all have bad contacts now. I'd like to DIY adaptors. I know the pin arrangement for 3.5mm unbalanced male (3pin) jack but can't find 2.5mm balanced 4pin connector pin arrangement. I can't make it out with the available adaptors as it's impossible to disassemble them. Google does not help either. Could anybody help with the pin arrangement for 2.5mm 4 pin balanced female connector?
The adaptor will look like this

Attachments

• balanced-unbalanced adaptor.jpg
    balanced-unbalanced adaptor.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 10, 2021 at 8:52 AM Post #2 of 18
Hello everybody,
I have 4 different types of 2.5mm female to 3.5mm male audio adaptors but they all have bad contacts now. I'd like to DIY adaptors. I know the pin arrangement for 3.5mm male (3pin) jack but can't find 2.5mm 4pin connector pin arrangement. I can't make it out with the available adaptors as it's impossible to disassemble them. Google does not help either. Could anybody help with the pin arrangement for 2.5mm 4 pin balanced female connector?
The adaptor will look like this
Google seemed to work quite well for me. :wink:

Look at this:
1618058389578.png

or this:
1618058448497.png

It appears that the 2.5mm TRRS does not use a separate Ground connection.

If I interpret what you are intending correctly, simply connect the R- and R+ together for the Ring connection on the 3.5mm plug and L+/L- for the Tip on the 3.5mm plug. The Sleeve (G) would remain unconnected (or connect it to the braid/shield if you're using a shielded cable). You should be able to see which leads are which, with the tabs inside the female connector. If you truly can't open up the female connector, you're never going to be able to make an adapter anyway.

Apr 10, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #3 of 18
Hi,
thanks for the response.
My problem is NOT male unbalanced 3.5mm jack BUT female balanced 2.5mm connector pin arrangement. I was able to find pin arrangement for male jacks but absolutely nothing for a female socket. I am just shocked. They sell the adaptors but do not share the pin arrangement. It's a kind of weird, huh?

P.S.
This is strange but I posted this question in different forums and in different languages. All I get everywhere is the same scheme for a balanced jack. What I need is the pin connector arrangement for 2.5mm female balanced socket. Am I asking the question in the wrong way? If I am, could anybody correct me as I can't think of anything else but the way I've already explained it.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #4 of 18
Hi,
thanks for the response.
My problem is NOT male unbalanced 3.5mm jack BUT female balanced 2.5mm connector pin arrangement. I was able to find pin arrangement for male jacks but absolutely nothing for a female socket. I am just shocked. They sell the adaptors but do not share the pin arrangement. It's a kind of weird, huh?

P.S.
This is strange but I posted this question in different forums and in different languages. All I get everywhere is the same scheme for a balanced jack. What I need is the pin connector arrangement for 2.5mm female balanced socket. Am I asking the question in the wrong way? If I am, could anybody correct me as I can't think of anything else but the way I've already explained it.
Any 4 pin capable 2.5mm female will work. You may not find the diagram but if you have it in your hand you just need to plug an existing Male counterpart, and do connection test using Multimeter beeper to see which pins on the Female responds to which pole on the Male side. I do this all the time for unfamiliar connectors. And you can find lots of 2.5mm female in Aliexpress:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/329...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

Apr 10, 2021 at 8:02 PM Post #6 of 18
Actually searching further in AliExpress I came across this one: Female 4 Pins :)
Thank you very much. That's what I've been looking for! How would you solder/connect a wire to "R-" pole? Seems like it does not have a joint for soldering.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2021 at 8:12 PM Post #7 of 18
Apr 10, 2021 at 9:51 PM Post #9 of 18
How would you solder/connect a wire to "R-" pole? Seems like it does not have a joint for soldering.

Apr 10, 2021 at 9:59 PM Post #11 of 18
You see the soft bend? you solder it there. It's more visible from side view
You see (actually), there are three poles - 1, 2 and 3. Numbering 19 does not have anything for soldering.

Apr 10, 2021 at 10:05 PM Post #12 of 18
You see (actually), there are three poles - 1, 2 and 3. Numbering 19 does not have anything for soldering.
The outer shell is actually the 4th conductor as with all 2.5mm plugs and sockets for balanced application. If you do a multimeter connection test you will see what I meant. That unmarked shell connects to the 4th section for R-

Apr 10, 2021 at 10:13 PM Post #13 of 18
That unmarked shell connects to the 4th section for R-
Thanks.
I am going to buy a 2.5mm balanced male 4 pole jack too. Do you have a reputable seller at aliexpress?

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2021 at 8:33 AM Post #15 of 18
Hi,
thanks for the response.

P.S.
You've finally got your answer, but two things:

1. A female 4-pin connector has to absolutely match a corresponding 4-pin plug.
2. A little deduction on your part should've been obvious. If you know the 4-pin plug, you can easily determine the 4-pin female, by plugging it in and checking continuity with the wire leads connected to the plug.

As I said, you got your answer, but a little reasoning on your part next time might be helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back