PIMETA - Output Ohm
Mar 19, 2004 at 6:09 AM Post #2 of 8
My PIMETA handles my 300ohm Senn HD600s just fine. I'm sure it would do fine with those Beyers, too.

Mar 19, 2004 at 6:24 AM Post #3 of 8
Its not just about the impedance, but the sensitivity. If you're worried, check out the 80 Ohm version of the 770 (not sure if there is one for the 880).

Mar 19, 2004 at 6:32 AM Post #4 of 8
Thanks for the replies.

Jeff, I noticed that you own a pair of Beyer DT-770s, how do you like them? Have you tried the DT-250s out before, are the 770s better?

I seem to be having a hell of a hard time finding a pair that suits my tastes. I like a sound that has plenty of accurate, hard-hitting bass, along with smooth mids-highs. I purchased a pair of Grado SR-325s, only to be COMPLETELY dissapointed. I mean, they have excellent quality from 150hz up, but it is like they completely forgot to add any bass response to the drivers...

I have heard people recommend both of those Beyer models to do just that, tons of bass, but still have a nice mid-to-high range sound performance also...

Also, happen to know any good places online that sell Beyer in the U.S., besides eBay?

Any input would be greatly appreciated...

Mar 19, 2004 at 6:56 AM Post #5 of 8
The DT770 Pro-250s are about as sensitive as the Senn HD600, if not more, iirc. The main issue is whether the amp can control those things in the bass region. I used to have an amp that is somewhat similar to a MINT (same output buffers) and it did fine with the DT770 Pro-250s I used to have, and that thing ran on a single 9V battery and had lots of resistors on the outputs, turning it's gain of 11 into an effective gain of around 4.

The Beyer DT770 will give you lots and lots of bass. Connect those things to a tube amp and you've got a deadly combination for bass. If you like bass they are a blast (literally) to listen to. The midrange is slightly recessed (to my ears), but not as much as the Senn HD600. The thing that really bugged me about my set, other than comfort issues, was the s-s-s-sibilance the things had. But overall they were a nice set of cans, and they isolate quite well too. The enormous ear cups are very comfortable, but the headband hurt after a while (the non-Pro versions are suppossed to fix this). If you're looking for a fun phone, this is it.

Mar 19, 2004 at 7:00 AM Post #6 of 8
Heh, Ironically, that is the other set I was considering, the HD-600s, but I figured the DT-770s would have better bass response (being closed), and still have the same upper frequency quality. Or at least that is what I am aiming for.
smily_headphones1.gif

But if the DT-770s have the dreaded hissing sound, that would probably get on my nerves pretty quickly
frown.gif

Mar 19, 2004 at 7:28 AM Post #7 of 8
The HD600s is a very different beast from the DT770. Not nearly the same bass slam, and maybe not quite as deep (although still very deep) bass on the HD600s compared to the DT770s. You may like it, you may not. The sibilance problem can get annoying, though. And better amps only bring it out more. But many board members here enjoy the DT770 so some may just be more sensitive to it than others. The HD600s are quite laid back and will sound boring next to the DT770s. If you like a more upfront presentation and Grados aren't up your alley the DT770 is worth a shot. I have no experience with the DT250-250, but it is also highly regarded. The soundstage on the DT770 is quite good and I liked the treble.

Btw, what opamps is your PIMETA using? I used an AD8620 with BUF634s in my old amp that I used with the DT770 and the results were great. I imagine the AD8620 in a PIMETA would do quite well also. Putting the BUF634s in wide bandwidth will also help with bass control and sounstage, if you haven't done that already.

Mar 19, 2004 at 2:33 PM Post #8 of 8
Woah, thats ironic. I have the same exact buffers and opamp:

ad8620 dual opamp for left and right channels
ad8610 single opamp for the ground channel
buf634 buffers for the left, right, and ground channels

I think I am going to try the DT-770 out, I am really starting to believe it is what I am looking for. If not, the HD-600 will be my next shot.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back