Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Apr 16, 2017 at 1:18 AM Post #23,536 of 37,753

The NightOwls sound even better with a few dozen hours of burn-in.
:basshead:

Apr 16, 2017 at 8:16 AM Post #23,539 of 37,753

​PinkyPowers, I keep seeing people knocking these headphones down, too much bass, too much treble, no detail, are they a lot better than that? IYHO... I fancied a pair of NightOwls but seeing all the negative feedback put me off. Or am I getting them mixed up with the NightHawks?

Apr 16, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #23,540 of 37,753
​PinkyPowers, I keep seeing people knocking these headphones down, too much bass, too much treble, no detail, are they a lot better than that? IYHO... I fancied a pair of NightOwls but seeing all the negative feedback put me off. Or am I getting them mixed up with the NightHawks?

Audiophiles are a silly bunch. There are certainly folk who won't like these. To each their own.

I don't hear any offensive frequencies from my NightOwls. The treble is good and sparkly, the bass has great presence and tonality. The vocals come through beautiful and clear.

The NightOwls are quite warm in signature. So if you don't like warm-sounding gear you won't like these. But that treble adds a great amout of air and detail to the affair. That and the tremendous soundstage keeps the NightOwls from feeling veiled or stuffy.

Apr 16, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #23,541 of 37,753
Audiophiles are a silly bunch. There are certainly folk who won't like these. To each their own.

I don't hear any offensive frequencies from my NightOwls. The treble is good and sparkly, the bass has great presence and tonality. The vocals come through beautiful and clear.

The NightOwls are quite warm in signature. So if you don't like warm-sounding gear you won't like these. But that treble adds a great amout of air and detail to the affair. That and the tremendous soundstage keeps the NightOwls from feeling veiled or stuffy.
Some love Lobsters and others rather eat Snails.

Apr 16, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #23,542 of 37,753
Apr 16, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #23,543 of 37,753
Apr 16, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #23,544 of 37,753

I'll throw down here. Nightowls are definitely on the warm side but not overly so. They're basically a closed back, more audiophile / headfi-friendly Nighthawk. It's great that AudioQuest include both Microsuede and Pleather pads which provide distinctly different sound signatures, so you can use the pads to fine-tune the sound.

All that said, I prefer Nighthawk with the original pads :wink:

Everybody loves lobster. :wink:

giphy.gif

Apr 16, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #23,547 of 37,753
I'll throw down here. Nightowls are definitely on the warm side but not overly so. They're basically a closed back, more audiophile / headfi-friendly Nighthawk. It's great that AudioQuest include both Microsuede and Pleather pads which provide distinctly different sound signatures, so you can use the pads to fine-tune the sound.

All that said, I prefer Nighthawk with the original pads :wink:

I auditioned the Nighthawks very briefly when I met up with Lynn to take delivery of the FiiO X5-3. And, sadly, spent all that time using the X5 to listen to it. Anyone who knows my feelings on that DAP can imagine how underwhelmed I was by my experience with the Nighthawks. :cool:

I should really take week with them, trying them out on all my best gear. It would likely result in a far nicer impression.

Apr 16, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #23,548 of 37,753
I auditioned the Nighthawks very briefly when I met up with Lynn to take delivery of the FiiO X5-3. And, sadly, spent all that time using the X5 to listen to it. Anyone who knows my feelings on that DAP can imagine how underwhelmed I was by my experience with the Nighthawks. :cool:

I should really take week with them, trying them out on all my best gear. It would likely result in a far nicer impression.

While I like the X5iii, I agree, the NH pairing was a bit too much.

The NH and NO have very low distortion and a very flat impedance curve which makes them technically very capable. Not everyone will like the tuning but they have fantastic low distortion traits which makes me absolutely smitten with the NH (haven't tried the brighter NO).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back