Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Feb 22, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #19,292 of 37,644
20160222_094049_zpsqiyr6k86.jpg

No Angie today. I felt like bringing the IM03 to work. Needed to test out the cable I made over the weekend. Good thing, too. I think the right channel is a little loose.

Feb 22, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #19,293 of 37,644
Code:
 ​[color=rgb(0, 0, 0)]InitString=AT&F8S54=12\Q3&C1&D2&R0&S2S34=15S53=3S27=1  BPS=115200[/color]
Code:
 AT&N6&B0&M0&K0&H0&I0&R1&A0S27=32

Feb 23, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #19,294 of 37,644

I recommend to use the optical FiiO L12S cable or coax cable to feed the iDSD, since the DX80 offers both digital outputs to use the dual DSD1793 DACs to use the digital filter settings :)

Feb 23, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #19,295 of 37,644

I recommend to use the optical FiiO L12S cable or coax cable to feed the iDSD, since the DX80 offers both digital outputs to use the dual DSD1793 DACs to use the digital filter settings :)

Unfortunately I don't have the iFi anymore - the volume potentiometer was not usable for when I wanted to listen quietly with full-sized headphones (also including the HD 800, even with old/quiet masters). I think I'm done with fully analogue volume attenuation, both in the headphone as well as speaker chain. 
gs1000.gif

(I just took the pictures for my impressions and measurements, all before having even plugged anything in.)

As nice as the micro iDSD was (and still is), we two just weren't made for each other.

A DAC-Amp or stack (for full-sized headphones plus IEMs) below ~ $2k, no matter whether portable, stationary or semi-portable, that fulfills all of my criteria has yet to be built (maybe I'm just too picky though).

On a personal side-note: I didn't even know FiiO built an optical IC cable - very interesting, gotta check it out (though I have no use for it). Thanks for mentioning it!

Feb 23, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #19,296 of 37,644

Unfortunately I don't have the iFi anymore - the volume potentiometer was not usable for when I wanted to listen quietly with full-sized headphones (also including the HD 800, even with old/quiet masters). I think I'm done with fully analogue volume attenuation, both in the headphone as well as speaker chain. 
gs1000.gif

(I just took the pictures for my impressions and measurements, all before having even plugged anything in.)

Why you not enabled IEMatch with the iDSD? The attenuation is -12 to -24 dB that's pretty fine with digital feeded iDSD and paired the HD 800 (I'm using this combo too). Cheers
beerchug.gif

Feb 23, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #19,297 of 37,644
I'm. Just surprised to see low end audio buds with nice players ect... What about them do you guys enjoy over higher end cans

Well like these Auri Rockets they just sound great Naive! I'm surprised my FiiO X3ii and U2 iPod classic meet your approval
rolleyes.gif

Feb 23, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #19,298 of 37,644
  Why you not enabled IEMatch with the iDSD? The attenuation is -12 to -24 dB that's pretty fine with digital feeded iDSD and paired the HD 800 (I'm using this combo too). Cheers
beerchug.gif

Thanks for the suggestion buddy, but that was the first thing I did. 
wink.gif

For listening really quietly, it is still too loud (at the point where both channels are perfectly identically loud which is (/was) at exactly 11 o'clock (-1 dB at 9.30 and -0.5 at 10). The volume was okay with some of my older, rather quiet Classical and Jazz recordings, but a bit too high with normally loud recordings. Needless to say, the few loudness war suffering tracks I used were unbearable. The volume on the position where both channels are perfectly engaged is just too loud for when I want to listen at really low volume levels, which I do sometimes after work or after longer runs. Volume was okay for regular listening levels, but just as I said often bit much for when I wanted to listen quietly.
I could actually listen at ~ 11 o'clock, but I prefer to have the potentiometer a bit higher than where the channels engage, simply because it gives me a better feeling.
The fact that the digital inputs are louder than the analogue aren't super helpful for how I prefer my music either.
I would have loved to keep it, but the cons predominated the pros for my very personal standards. Nonetheless I would still highly recommend the iDSD, as it really is a fantastic device.

I guess I protected my hearing just just very well over the years, only taking the airplane/underground/train/driving on the Autobahn/hoovering/mowing the lawn with listening protection on, not going to clubs/parties, avoiding Alcohol from a certain point of my life on, no smoking, avoiding noisy environment in general. I can't even comprehend why I used to type on mechanical keyboards over a decade ago. Yeah, I am... different.
There is a reason why my co-workers call me "The Bat". 
biggrin.gif

Now back to the thread topic - my simple Autobahn rig, consisting of the first gen FiiO X3, mostly Jazz and the Shure SE425 (not pictured):

Users who are viewing this thread

Back