Pictures Of Your Portable Rig (part XV)
Feb 18, 2012 at 7:27 AM Post #3,766 of 7,509

Quote:
Hoe does it sound and stand against your other gear?

The D10 is fed by the spdif, so it actually sounds like the D10 alone. Yesterday I di not like it at first, but then I swapped some opamps, now it sounds just amazing combined with the DT1350. Another interesting find was that I am stll able to tweek the sound with EQ and BBE. I'll put up more pictures and write up more on sunday; also waiting  for the E17 to combine it. So far, I am very happy with it :)

Feb 18, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #3,768 of 7,509
Vita?  Pfft, it's the 3DS for the win!  J/K
wink_face.gif
  They'll both provide some pretty awesome portable gaming.

Feb 18, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #3,769 of 7,509
IMO, they won't even be close once Japan accepts the Vita. Capabilities are way beyond the 3DS, and (again, IMO) the PSP was a better system than the DS. Once all those great (hopefully) importable games hit...It's over.

Quote:
Vita?  Pfft, it's the 3DS for the win!  J/K
wink_face.gif
  They'll both provide some pretty awesome portable gaming.

Feb 18, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #3,770 of 7,509

Quote:
IMO, they won't even be close once Japan accepts the Vita. Capabilities are way beyond the 3DS, and (again, IMO) the PSP was a better system than the DS. Once all those great (hopefully) importable games hit...It's over.

Ah, but the same thing was said about the DS vs. the PSP.  The DS ended up outselling the PSP by quite a bit.  To me, it's about the quality of games that will determine which platform is more successful.  It'll be fun for us finding out.
biggrin.gif

Feb 18, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #3,771 of 7,509

Quote:
How do you like the HP-P1? I'm considering one to jump start my portarig again.

The only criticism I have of it is that it doesn't have non-iDevice inputs -- i.e. you can only really use it as a USB DAC from an iPod/iPhone/iPad/whatever. This makes it useless as an external DAC from a computer; it only works as an amp using an analog input.

That said, the audio quality is stunning. It's able to deliver extremely neutral, detailed, fast sound to the Ed 8s, which they faithfully reproduce. The gain switch was very useful for testing the DT-770s (although they're only at 250Ω), the volume was similar at the second gain setting as on the ~32Ω Ed 8s, and it was not distorted in the slightest. I'm looking forward to seeing how it works with the T50RPs when I have a chance to test it with those.

I've also already found great application for the two different filters. The sharp roll-off filter I'm finding very desirable for a lot of the compressed / limited recordings I listen to (which, to be honest, is basically every non-progressive metal band I listen to other than Necrophagist) -- it definitely reduces some of the "muddiness" from the recording. The short delay sharp roll-off filter has presented itself as more desirable for acoustic recordings (as is stated), though I found it nice for softer recordings in general. Even the acoustics in Rodrigo y Gabriela's self-titled album, which has lots of fast guitar parts (in the sense of he plays quickly and quick attack, almost 0 sustain, quick decay, 0 release) benefited. Obviously this is the subjective part, but I am very happy with how it is able to reproduce the music.

It's small (only slightly larger than the iPod itself), portable, and comes with a carrying case that gives you easy-enough access to the iPod. I did notice it starting to get a little hot when I had it in my coat pocket for about an hour, so I'd generally recommend leaving it at least partially in open air when possible.

If you want something you can also use as a desktop DAC / amp combo, perhaps you should look into the iQube or the CLAS. I don't recall whether these have additional line inputs, so perhaps they only work with iDevices as well. If I wasn't going to get the iNova when their new line comes out this year, I think I would have returned the HP-P1 and gone for something else. It outputs great sound, but it's a little frustrating that it's not portable in the sense of sharing its functionality between devices.

HTH!

--dho

Feb 18, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #3,772 of 7,509
Ah, but the same thing was said about the DS vs. the PSP.  The DS ended up outselling the PSP by quite a bit.  To me, it's about the quality of games that will determine which platform is more successful.  It'll be fun for us finding out.
biggrin.gif

No I still consider the PSP a step above the DS. Sales went to the DS, sure...but I spent a lot more time with my PSP while my DS collected dust.

Feb 18, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #3,773 of 7,509

Quote:
No I still consider the PSP a step above the DS. Sales went to the DS, sure...but I spent a lot more time with my PSP while my DS collected dust.

No doubt, the PSP is better technically and feature wise than the DS especially when one installs custom firmware on the PSP.  I especially liked the PSP could perfectly emulate original PS one games, so being to play classics like Final Fantasy 7 on the go was a big plus for me.  It was also my first mp3 player and what subsequently got me back into music. 

But, I bought more games for my DS.  Don't get me wrong, the PSP had a good selection of games.  Maverick Hunter X and GTA Vice City Stories are among my personal favorite portable games.

Feb 18, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #3,774 of 7,509
Its all about the games.  The hardware's specs are irrelevant.

Feb 18, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #3,776 of 7,509

Quote:

that mine :D

God damn you
biggrin.gif
. It looks....so....preeety. I should have mine on the 22nd, though. Having the hardest time looking for an appropriate case (something that likens to the case in the first ed. bundle) in the U.S.. All that is available looks either like a ladybag, or something that a fifteen year old with a copter hat would put in his fannypack. Gah!

I would've liked to get a first ed. bundle with wifi only, but that's Canada only. Damn Canadians be gettin' all the good bundles and ****
biggrin.gif

How's the audio out, though?

EDIT: So no cussing, eh? Well, ****, piss, ****, ****, **********, ************, ****. Take that, censor
biggrin.gif

Feb 18, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #3,777 of 7,509
IMO, excepting input and communication modes, even portable hardware has reached a point where it no longer places much in the way of meaningful limitations on the games made for it unless you happen to be a graphics whore or something.  The hardware can influence what games get made for it by being different or hard to work with deterring 3rd party development and what not but just listing some specs is pretty much irrelevant to whether or not I'd want to buy it.

Feb 18, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #3,778 of 7,509

Quote:
Its all about the games.  The hardware's specs are irrelevant.

I agree.  It's why the Gameboy enjoyed a 10 year life span despite having technically superior competition.

Feb 18, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #3,779 of 7,509

Quote:
IMO, excepting input and communication modes, even portable hardware has reached a point where it no longer places much in the way of meaningful limitations on the games made for it unless you happen to be a graphics whore or something.  The hardware can influence what games get made for it by being different or hard to work with deterring 3rd party development and what not but just listing some specs is pretty much irrelevant to whether or not I'd want to buy it.

I'm again in agreement.  Resident Evil Revelations for the 3DS is as cinematic a one would want their portable games to be.  Truly a home console like experience on the go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back